Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
I've never been more intrigued to see benchmark/performance reviews for a product. They normally bore the pants off me and I rarely find any of it useful, however, with this effectively being a completely new product (existing M1 chip aside) I really want to see where it all stacks up. Although I've plumped for the base 16" I'm really looking forward to seeing how the base 14" measures up with the 8/14 core solution.

Don
OP
I think the 8/14 will still be very fast indeed. As I said earlier in the thread, the M1 13" is already extremely fast. The 8/14 has 50% more performance cores than the M1 and 75% more GPU cores. Add to that the increased memory bandwidth of the M1 Pro and I reckon it will still be a monster of a laptop.

Soldato
I actually cancelled my 16” order with Apple and picked one up from them. A slightly longer wait time but I’ll take it for the near £200 savings.

I miss the days when you could access the HE from a link. I don't have HE access so had to order from an Apple Reseller who are offering 5% off and TopCashBack so got around £150 off.

Commissario
I miss the days when you could access the HE from a link. I don't have HE access so had to order from an Apple Reseller who are offering 5% off and TopCashBack so got around £150 off.
Unfortunately that’s why they stopped it, it was abused by far too many of us. I have access to an employee discount scheme via my wife but it’s a small discount and not all products are included. My M1 MBA was but I don’t think the new ones are.

Soldato
Until about 18 months ago I used to be able to login to my business account with a small-ish discount, then verify via unidays to the Edu store and double discount whammy. That doesn't work any more.

Soldato
Ordered the base 16 Pro, wanted 32GB, my current 2015 Mac has 16GB but that upgrade is a crazy £400 option, almost 25% cost of the 16 Pro.

That's my feeling. Would have been tempted to go for the 32gb option at £200 for future proofing but £400 is too much to consider IMO unless you absolutely need that much memory right now..

Likewise storage upgrades seem mostly unnecessary as well given we have the SD card slot back.

Back
Top Bottom