• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Official 5830 Thread!

Soldato
At £165 the 5830 is a decent card.

I think most of the hate stemmed from the perception that these pushed up the price of 5850s

I thought it was that it cost about the same as the 5850 (~£10 less or there about on release) yet was far slower (to the extent where it often struggled to beat the 4890 in many launch reviews).

Associate
I will not pay over £200 for a graphics card. The most i have ever paid was £164 for my current card (saphire 4870). I am not too sure a 5770 will be good enough for 1920 x 1200 res so if i can get a 5830 for around the £160-170 mark i will go for one. Another problem i have is my ickle coolermaster 335 case as i don't think a powercolor PCS+ will fit in it!

Soldato
OP
Well from what I hear they need 30cm of space, but that includes the power connectors, so you can measure up and decide pretty easily. :p

Associate
Picked up a Sapphire one for £165 while they were on pre-order befor they came out.

It clocks to a 1000/1300 without any issues and the cooler is pretty much silent.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I woke up this morning, wandered into the office and there was a package sitting on my desk, I'm assuming my Dad brought it back from work early.

Anyway i got it fitted, JUST fits in an Antec 300. I had to move my hard drive and fit the power cables to it first, then slot it in at an angle and just jimmy it about until it would go into position. It's actually not all that snug, it's got a good 20mm of clearance from the hdd bays all round, just the power connectors that made it a pain.

Anyways I only had a bit of time to try it out so I haven't really tested it, but it's noticeably better than the 4670, which is nice. :p

Haven't checked temps or anything yet though either, I'm guessing it's going to be pretty toasty at the moment, the airflow is pretty dire...

Associate
Great to hear Muel - that you managed to get it to fit! Now you can enjoy the jump in performance this evening. I think you'll like it.

Last edited:
Associate
im definitely thinking of getting one of these ! 5770 seemed too weak and the 5850 would be bottlenecked by my cpu!
battlefield will look just a little better from the dx9 im running it in now!

Soldato
OP
Depends on the CPU and overclock, but yes in theory, on my system with a 140W CPU the Antec calculator recommended at least 620W.

The actual draw in gaming though won't get that high, that's just if I ever manage to max every single component at the same time, and if capacitor aging has had a big effect.

EDIT: I noticed a decent improvement in NFS Shift earlier, but that ran well on the 4670, all full settings apart from the filtering thigy. (Can't remember the proper name of it, the billionare, trillionare etc one). The real test will be COD4 for me, as that ran badly on the 4670 to start with. Worse than MW2 which is strange. :s

Last edited:
Caporegime
I really don't know how people are paying £240+ for 5850's, I got one on launch and have been considering a second pretty much since then, there was about 2-3 weeks in the worst period when TSMC actually stopped production in part of the fab and lost 6 weeks of wafers, that I couldn't see them for £200 or VERY close to that. If you look hard enough you can find them around the £210 mark and frankly I think a 5830 would have to hit £140 to be worthwhile. There are quite a number of games its simply a 5770 due to being limited to 16 rops, if that was say 50% of games, and in the other 50% its only really up to around 20% faster I can't imagine paying over 10-15% more than a 5770. Honestly £140 would be fairly expensive, I'd prefer to get a single 5770, then xfire that at a later date.

Caporegime
Depends on the CPU and overclock, but yes in theory, on my system with a 140W CPU the Antec calculator recommended at least 620W.

The actual draw in gaming though won't get that high, that's just if I ever manage to max every single component at the same time, and if capacitor aging has had a big effect.

EDIT: I noticed a decent improvement in NFS Shift earlier, but that ran well on the 4670, all full settings apart from the filtering thigy. (Can't remember the proper name of it, the billionare, trillionare etc one). The real test will be COD4 for me, as that ran badly on the 4670 to start with. Worse than MW2 which is strange. :s

MW2 was toned down a little realistically, but was further optimised again. But its worth noting, Antec calculator is something Antec provide, and Antec sell PSU's, ergo, ignore it.

a HEAVILY overclocked 6gb i7 based system with a single 5830 wouldn't go over 400W load, likely only around 350W, add in a second 5830, and you'd probably not break 500W in anything but Furmark.

My heavily clocked 8gb ddr2, heavily overclocked and overvolted P2, and a 4870x2(which uses around 300W), also overclocked, with a decent number of hdd's and a bunch of fans wouldn't use more than 430W in heavy gaming.

Back
Top Bottom