• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

All water coolers are compatible with correct mounting kit, freezer 2 is on offer at the moment. As mentioned before be quiet dark rock slim and Noctua NH-D15s are as well. Can't go real cheap on the cooler with a 12700K. The mobo is excellent value with the cashback.

How much better is this the strix A vs say the Gigabyte Gaming X?
I can see it has WIFI (never use it) but struggling to see what else it offers.

Soldato
How much better is this the strix A vs say the Gigabyte Gaming X?
I can see it has WIFI (never use it) but struggling to see what else it offers.

ASUS have (IMO) the best BIOS, widest support via QVL for RAM, quick driver releases. Also extra features, such as the "SP" rating estimation for CPU quality. I am biased though, having used Asus since the P6T-Deluxe (x58), before this I used Abit, who dissapeared with the sands of time.

ASUS have (IMO) the best BIOS, widest support via QVL for RAM, quick driver releases. Also extra features, such as the "SP" rating estimation for CPU quality. I am biased though, having used Asus since the P6T-Deluxe (x58), before this I used Abit, who dissapeared with the sands of time.

Ah so there are extra features more polished BIOS to consider.

Would have given the StirxA a go but looking at a cheap 12600k/Motherboard upgrade and having to buy a new cooler is a big cost relative to what the upgrades cost. ASUS really messed up with their mid tier boards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Best CPUs of 2021 (Gaming, Workstation, Budget, & Disappointment)

Best CPU Overall 2021 Intel i5-12600K
Best CPU Efficiency 2021 AMD R9-5950X
Best Gaming CPU 2021 Intel i9-12900K
Most Well-Rounded CPU 2021 Intel i7-12700K
Best HEDT Workstation CPU 2021 AMD Threadripper 3970X
Best* Budget CPU 2021 (we didn't like our options this year, so see disclaimers in video) Intel i3-10100
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT 2021 Intel Core i9-11900K (yes, it came out just this year)

Caporegime
5200Mhz DDR5 is very slow though, should be comparing 6200Mhz+

I would still be surprised if it made much difference in gaming above 1080p.

Doesn't make much sense to splash out on DDR5 atm if you primarily use your rig for gaming. Re-use or go with a decent DDR4 kit and re-evaluate next year when faster kits with tuned timings are available.

Back
Top Bottom