******** The Official amateur radio thread ********

Commissario
I've been asked a few times to start an *** official *** amateur radio thread so after a few false starts I'm hoping this will work.

I know a few people on here have got (or have had) amateur radio licenses and so perhaps we can get some chat going here, what you do, what you've done and what you enjoy about the hobby.

When mentioning radio as a hobby, a common response is 'haven't you heard of the internet or telephone or skype' etc but that's not really valid. For me the thrill is being able to communicate with someone in another country or another continent without assistance. With a landline phone you're relying on a network of cables and satellites, with a mobile phone you only transmit a very low powered signal just a couple of miles.

If I talk to someone in Russia or America or New Zealand, I'm doing it using the equipment I have in my house unaided. I don't need to have my signal repeated by an intermediate station, I don't rely on satellites (although there are amateur radio satellites in orbit), the signal leaves my radio shack, goes through my aerial and is received by the other person without any assistance. It's all me!

It's not CB. It's a lot more than CB ever was.

To add some pictures, I'd like to document the work that was done here earlier this year where, with the help of some friends I put up a new mast and aerial.

We started off by lifting an area of concrete patio in the garden, this was hard work with nothing but a mini-kango and a masonry drill.
lifting_the_patio-20120107-172229.jpg

more_patio_removing-20120107-172320.jpg

That took a couple of hours to clear and then we dug a hole for the base.
hole_and_pile_of_rubble-20120107-172410.jpg

Those pipes were going to potentially be a problem, I had to work out a way of sleeving around them to protect them.

A week later we carried on, I'd hired a skip and a mixer.

We decided to move the mast further away from the house than originally planned and so we packed the earth back around those pipes, extended and deepened the hole.
Modified_hole-20120107-172531.jpg

It took a few wheelbarrows to get the rubble loaded into the skip.
loading_rubble_into_the_skip-20120107-172706.jpg

We then knocked up our own rebar to strengthen the concrete and fixed it in the hole.
Bending_the_homemade_rebar-20120107-172841.jpg

some_of_the_rebar_in_the_hole-20120107-172907.jpg

We then started filling the hole with concrete.
First_barrowload_of_concrete_going_in_the_hole-20120107-173013.jpg

Here's the hole partly filled with the base plate for the mast all ready to be mounted in place. You can see the baseplate on the right, it's two verticals with a crossmember with a couple of pieces of rebar through it. The edges will stick out of the concrete providing a base and hinge for the mast to tilt over.
Hole_nearly_ready_for_the_baseplate-20120107-173133.jpg

Now you can see the hole is nearly full and the baseplate is suspended in the concrete.
Nearly_full-20120107-173252.jpg

The base was all floated off and ready to be covered for the night for the concrete to go off.
Base_all_floated_off_and_ready_to_be_covered_for_the_night-20120107-173453.jpg

The next day I took the cover off (it had chucked it with rain overnight) and this is how it looked. Not the most attractive but this was a few months ago and the base colour has blended in now with the concrete around it.
How_it_looked_the_next_morning-20120107-173559.jpg

I stood one section of my mast on the base later in the day to see how it looked.
One_section_of_mast_on_the_base-20120107-173733.jpg

On the subject of the mast, I bought four sections, each 2.5m long. The first section was pre-assembled and the other three were in Mechano format, ie I had to assemble them myself. Here's the first section I put together, it's all assembled but not tightened yet.
completed_section_of_mast-20120107-173943.jpg

My aerial was also in pieces. Here it is pre-assembly
aerial_in_pieces-20120107-174040.jpg

And here it is an hour later, partly assembled.
partially_assembled_aerial-20120107-174104.jpg

To see how the mast was going to look, I put two sections together and stood them on the concrete. I thought it was good, my wife wasn't so keen!
two_sections_of_mast-20120107-174213.jpg

Over the next week or so I put together the rest of the sections and here they are, three are fixed together and the final one is laying by the side. The picture was taken out of an upstairs window looking down.
All_four_sections_of_mast-20120107-174403.jpg

The following weekend my friends were back again and working on the bracket to support the mast - Because it was going to be further away from the house than originally planned we had to change things a little.
skitched-20120107-174526.jpg

more_work_on_fixing_the_bracket-20120107-174659.jpg

Once the bracket was all done, we lowered the mast back down (at this point there were just three sections and it was easy for one person to raise and lower it) and fixed the final section in place along with the aerial rotator and stub mast.
All_four_sections_of_mast_and_stub_together-20120107-174817.jpg

This extra section and weight added so much leverage though that it was difficult for the five of us to raise it. We got it in place though and decided that we'd leave it there until the following weekend so here's the first shot you get of all four sections, rotator and stub mast in place.
all_four_sections_are_up-20120107-175020.jpg

Another week passed and we were getting close to my deadline - There was a big amateur radio contest at the start of November which I wanted the aerial sorted for, we had a couple of weeks to spare. We started off by making holes to mount the winch. I wanted the mast to be raisable and lowerable by one person so a winch is essential.
Drilling_holes_for_the_winch-20120107-175223.jpg

We fitted a pulley to the mast bracket as well and fixed the winch in place. We then finished off the aerial and fixed it to the stub mast.
fixing_the_aerial_in_place.-20120107-175348.jpg

It was then time to raise it all back up again. Although the winch was now in place, we didn't want to stress the anchors too much as the chemical wouldn't have had time to go off properly so although we used the winch, it was largely raised by hand again and it was difficult.

Here's the final finished mast and aerial having just been raised. The restraining bracket is being fixed in place.
aerial_and_mast_in_place-20120107-175506.jpg

That was back at the end of October and since then I've had the mast up and down a few times for various things to be done. Once of the things done was to fit around 100 cable ties to it pointing upwards to dissuade the local Starling population from using it as a perch. I don't mind the birds sitting on my aerial but my wife isn't so keen on the mess they make underneath it!

This weekend we lowered the mast again and this time I took a video of it being raised back up after we replaced the pulley (HD version on Youtube).

The aerial really is the most important part of an amateur radio station. I've worked the world using just a piece of wire dangled down the garden but it's so much easier with a good aerial. My first contact with the new beam was with a station in Hong Kong, a new country for me.

So who else in these fine forums has an interest in radio?

Commissario
OP
Thank god you don't live next door to me or I'd be putting powerline adapters in every socket available until that monstrosity was dismantled. ;)

That's funny because if you did, I'd be on the phone to Ofcom and guess who would be the person in the wrong... Not me! You'd be the one who legally would have to remove them :)

Commissario
OP
Cool.

You must've got some funny looks off your neighbours though!
Next door doesn't care in the slightest - In fact I've used his ladder quite a lot. When I asked him if he'd write me a letter supporting me if I needed it for planning permission he was more than happy.

You are one lucky man if you have a wife that will allow you put that in the garden :D.
Also with amateur radio, how is it modulated?
AM, FM, SSB, CW, TV, we can do the lot. Plus data modes.

Commissario
OP
Ofcom would need a warrant, by which time they would be unplugged, until they got down the road. :p

No they wouldn't. If you don't believe me, there are plenty of cases fully documented on the internet where radio amateurs have suffered interference from PLA devices, Ofcom have intervened and the issue has been resolved. Either the devices were swapped for non-interfering ones by the supplier or a wired network was installed. In every case that's been investigated, the radio ham has come out clean. It's just a minor inconvenience.

Luckily you don't live anywhere near me :)

Commissario
OP
Really though - what do your neighbours think about it - any comments?

Or are you the sort of bloke that doesn't worry about that sort of thing?
The last thing I want to do is inconvenience the neighbours. I've spoken to them and said that if they get any interference issues then I will resolve them. As far as I'm aware the only problem I've had was when I ran 400w on 28MHz and caused some noise on my lads speakers but a ferrite bead on the mains feed cured that.

I would just use a 3000w burner instead :p
My amplifier will do a kilowatt but I never go above 400w which is what we're allowed. I overspecced it as I'd rather have an amp running at 40% efficiency than have it running flat out. It means the valve will last longer and my signal will potentially be cleaner.

Commissario
OP
But Do you need planning permission for a mast that size??

Did you need any planning permission to put that mast up?
Technically yes and if I had to, I would apply. However my local council are sensible and if the item in breach of planning regulations doesn't really affect anyone and if they're pretty sure that it'll be granted anyway then they don't insist on it. They call it a Harm Assessment and that's been done on my mast. The file is closed.

What do you do once you've contacted people, just talk about random things?
Anything except politics and religion.

didn't the internet make talking to weirdos easier than this?
All hobbies have some weirdos :) *shrug*

Commissario
OP
Been interested in radio since I was a boy. Used to do a lot of shortwave listening and done quite a lot of utility monitoring in my time. I’ll post a bit about that when I have some time. I suppose I should go for my amateur radio license but I keep putting off. One of these days I’ll do it. :D

Do it. The foundation exam is _really_ easy.

Commissario
OP
[TW]Fox;20973540 said:
OFCOM staff can enter a property without a warrant? How come they can but the TV licensing guys can't?
Sorry Fox, I don't know exactly. All I know is that every case I've heard of where a radio ham has reported PLA interference has been resolved by Ofcom - Perhaps the person causing the interference was a reasonable person who didn't want to cause distress to others and was happy to comply. I'd imagine that in most of the cases that they didn't even realise they were doing it.

You made some 'comments' about CB - yes, it's a lot more limited than being fully licensed and having all the gear. But do you think it's a good way to get into it initially? Or is there a sort of 'puritan' rift, where everybody looks down on it? :p
There used to be a big 'them and us' thing going on, it's nowhere near as much as it was back in the 80s now though. It would give one the feel of what it's all about but it's really just touching the surface and doesn't really compare. Limited power, limited aerials, totally uncontrolled. No thanks!

Commissario
OP
Agreed. Not sure he cares.

Nice, but why did you put it right in front of the window?
Your wife must think fluffy things about you every time she looks outside :D

Pattern emerging here. He doesn't care.

I've already answered your question about my neighbours, 2bit where I quite clearly said that I've spoken with them. Why do you keep saying I don't care when I obviously do, what's your problem here?

In front of the window was the only place on the back of the property where it could practically go. It was there or nowhere.

It looks more intrusive than it actually is, the majority of the pictures were taken when it was brand spanking new and very shiny, it's already weathered a bit and will be nowhere near as sparkly once the winter is through.

Commissario
OP
Bet the neighbours love that xD it also would pose an issue if you wanted to move?
No issue if I want to move (no plans to btw), the footplate will just get cut off at the base level and I'd take it with me, then build another base at the new house.

Few questions:
What cost was there building this kind of setup?
You mentioned talking to people abroad, do you agree to it, like online, or just pick a frequency and see if people respond?
How does the science work? You mention broadcasting can go internationally, well how does your relatively small aerial transmit suh a long distance?

Kd
The total cost of the mast, aerial, rotator and everything including skip hire, mixer etc was around £1500, I don't know exactly as I've not totalled it up.
As for talking to people, I either call CQ which is a generic call which effectively says "Hey, I'm here, anyone want to reply" or tune around listening for other stations calling CQ and then reply.

As for radio propagation, it's all down to the atmosphere. Depending on the time of day and the frequency involved, signals bounce off the layers in the atmosphere and reflect around the world. The sun plays a huge part in this, there's an eleven year solar cycle which we're just approaching the peak of where radio conditions can be seriously enhanced.

It's a hobby that's can be affected by nature very easily. You could have the biggest aerials around at huge heights and massive amplifiers but if the sun farts, the whole of the radio spectrum can be pretty much closed down and nothing you can do will change it.

Commissario
OP
Isn't it just a form of trainspotting? Conversation is limited to quoting reference numbers and signal (S meter strength) strength to each other?
No it's not. You're thinking of what the bands are like during contests when all people exchange is a signal report and other info such as a serial number. Outside of contests it's much more than that.

I can see why you got hit by lightning ;) lol
Actually this is a result of having the near strike last year. We pretty much determined that it came in through the phone and mains (overhead power cabled) and didn't go near my aerials in the end. Besides, this mast wasn't up then.

Commissario
OP
Superb thread, long overdue.
Thanks - I've been meaning to start it for a while.

What's the maximum height of mast your allowed, or do the council set the height limit.
The only legal limitation for aerials is nothing above 50ft within half a mile of an airport. Of course that doesn't mean that we can do anything, local planning regulations will always come into force. I know people with 60ft masts in their gardens, roughly double the size of mine.

Feek how easy is it to do The Foundation licence course for amateur radio.
The actual exam is very easy. There's a book with all exam material contained and it's pretty basic stuff. You have to do it through a club though as there are a couple of practical exercises that have to be done and signed off by an instructor so the best thing to do is look for a local club as a lot of them run training and exam sessions on a regular basis.

Commissario
OP
One of the things my local group do is very low power propagation testing using Morse code sent very slowly.

Imagine Morse code sent so slowly that one simple ‘dit’ takes six seconds to send and a ‘dah’ takes eighteen seconds. Imagine that’s sent using Frequency Shift Keying with just 5Hz differentiating the two tones and that's what we use. If you listen to it with the naked ear, you can barely hear the tones change.

When it's fed into a computer though, you can plot those two tones on a display and read the Morse.

This is a capture from a listening station in New Zealand taken just a couple of days ago.
ZL2IK-20120107-202436.jpg

The Morse at the bottom is our station. The transmitter is a little kit which cost a tenner to buy and took an hour or so to build. The output power is around 100mW which is less than half the output of your mobile phone!

The aerial it's connected to is a simple half wave dipole, so there's a coaxial feeder cable like the stuff you use on your telly connected to the transmitter and attached to the far end of that coax there are two pieces of wire just over 7m long each stretched out horizontally.

It's amazing what can be done with simple kit.

The hobby is not just about talking to your mates, it's a technical and experimental hobby. I still love it even after all these years.

Commissario
OP
Here's one of the little Morse transmitters mentioned above. It's not the one we're using but it's exactly the same (this is my one). To give you an idea of scale, that connector bottom right is a phono (RCA) socket.

qrss_transmitter-20120107-203755.jpg

Commissario
OP
That is pretty damn impressive, even though I have absolutely no experience of amateur radio it's no shock to see you've got some serious equipment.

Unless I've missed you saying something about it (safety measures) or not but does that antenna not increase the likelihood of you getting another lightening strike? You surely don't want THAT happening again!

I hesitate to say it will never happen again but precautions have been taken. I really don't believe it came in through the aerials last time and I don't think it will happen through this mast.

Commissario
OP
How much of your gear have you built? From kits/plans/scratch or whatever as opposed to just plucked off the shelf. I was looking at some glowbugs a while ago and some of them are absolutely gorgeous...

Not as much as I'd like. Years ago I used to build more but didn't really play much radio for a while. Now I've got back in to it again I'm constructing more. I've built three or four of those Morse transmitters and I'm partway through an 80m (3.5MHz) transceiver.

I put together a dummy load earlier this year. That's a 50 ohm non inductive load for transmitter testing.

I took 30 x 1k5 ohm resistors.
Resistors-20120107-204247.jpg

Soldered them between two pieces of breadboard - The more solder the better as these are going to have a lot of power up them.
resistors_on_the_boards-20120107-204332.jpg

Coming_together_nicely-20120107-204414.jpg

Then they got mounted to a socket fixed to the lid of a paint tin.
mounted_to_the_socket_in_the_tin_lid-20120107-204458.jpg

And submerged in oil.
submerged_in_oil-20120107-204532.jpg

90 watts up, nothing back.
match-20120107-204559.jpg

Just the resistors in air are rated at 100w, soaked in oil I should be able to run up to 400 watts for a few seconds without any problem.

Building stuff is fun :D

Commissario
OP
That looks awesome, would love to get involved in radio, hopefully if I get into uni I'll join the student radio.
I know some Unis are struggling with radio clubs but it's worth asking around. If you're going to be anywhere near Cambridge, get yourself involved with Camb-Hams, they're a great bunch of guys, I know some of them very well.

That's a awesome setup.
Thanks, I think so too :)

A local club isn't a problem for me Feek, it's only about a 1 mile from me.:)
Excellent - I wonder which club it is?

Commissario
OP
Thanks Crizzy. I've got the Soldersmoke book, both paper and Kindle and he does a great job of explaining some of the more technical stuff in an understandable way.

I listen to Bill's podcast as well, he can ramble a bit but they're generally quite enjoyable.

Commissario
OP
The Bath club is great, they do a lot for newcomers into the hobby. Every year they have the Bath Buildathon where they put a bunch of people into a room and they all build a kit. I think you've just missed it this year.

Struggling in terms of funding or the number of people volunteering/participating?
People I think. I know of someone at one Uni where they still have a radio shack set up but he can't get access to it until he can get the club started again and that means he's got to find twenty members. He's struggling to find that number of people who would be interested.

Back
Top Bottom