*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Shame to see this thread not being used much by others.

Went to a friends house who got a scope recently, really want one now:

188a3a89-7821-45d0-87d4-838a88e4c311_zpszpww0faa.jpg

Obviously that's taken with my phone pointing at the viewfinder, so it won't be great...But I loved it. I think he has a Celestron 130eq and looking about I think I can just about justify the expenditure :p

Obviously that's taken with my phone pointing at the viewfinder, so it won't be great...But I loved it. I think he has a Celestron 130eq and looking about I think I can just about justify the expenditure :p

I've got some 15x70 (I think) binoculars and I could stare at the moon all night, it's still small but you can see plenty of detail.

I should really get one of those starchart circle things so I know what else I'm looking at.

I've got some 15x70 (I think) binoculars and I could stare at the moon all night, it's still small but you can see plenty of detail.

I should really get one of those starchart circle things so I know what else I'm looking at.

Aye, the Celestron is a pretty decent size so I'd need somewhere to store it (storage is precious in our house, so I'll need to see if I can flat pack it somehow...) but I'm really tempted

This animation shows images of the far side of the moon, illuminated by the sun, as it crosses between the DISCOVR spacecraft's Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC) camera and telescope, and the Earth - one million miles away

I was watching the Perseids last night and got an ISS pass as well.

While waiting for the meteors I noticed other slow moving faint lights in the sky on a South to North trajectory (def not planes), about 3 in total
I presume they were other satellites, does anyone know which ones?

Perseids reminder

Where to look:

perseids.jpg

The mornings of August 12th and 13th and 14th: midnight to dawn - look out for the Perseid meteor shower.

If clear, these mornings should give us a chance of observing the Perseid meteor shower - produced by debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle. The peak of the shower is after sunrise on the morning of the 13th so the early morning of the 13th August will give us the best chance, if clear, of viewing the shower, but the peak is quite broad and so its well worth observing on the nights before and after. Most meteors are seen looking about 50 degrees from the "radiant" which lies between Perseus and Cassiopeia. The great thing about this year is that, with New Moon on the 14th, there will be no moonlight to hinder our view in the days around the peak. Under cloudless skies and from a dark location observers might expect to see 50 to 70 meteros an hour near the peak (the last hours of darkness on the morning of the 13th).

Back
Top Bottom