*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
Noob question regarding the gas planets. So being gas, does that mean you could never land on a surface? Would it be just like flying through one big very dense cloud until you come out the other end?

Soldato
OP
Noob question regarding the gas planets. So being gas, does that mean you could never land on a surface? Would it be just like flying through one big very dense cloud until you come out the other end?

Well hopefully that's what Juno will tell us :)

It's possible that gas giants like Jupiter have a solid core, but until we get data back from Juno it's mostly just guesswork. Even if it is solid i doubt you could ever 'land' on it, the gravity would crush you before you got anywhere near, if the atmosphere didn't get you first.

Associate
Should be awesome for planetary and some DSO, however if you would like to get into astrophotography it wont be very good as its F10 and the mount is AZ.

Thanks for your thoughts Mik3.
AP does indeed interest me although I need to walk (crawl actually) before I run. To that end I was going to get a wedge in a few months or a year or so. I need the instrument to be portable to carry 400m on a cart to the back of where I live and the CPC 925 fits that bill nicely. Maybe the CPC 800 instead. Do you think 1.5 inch of aperture is such a big deal for portability?

Why should the FL matter?

KS

Soldato
Ah yes you could get a wedge. 1.5" wont make much difference. Focal ratio makes a hugh difference to exposure times in AP, say you had a F5 telescope and a F10, to capture the same amount of data in the F10 as the F5 it will take 4x as long, so for every hour spent with the F5 you will need 4 hours with the F10. It wont make a difference to the brightness of the image visually though, but if you are thinking about DSO AP later you might want to consider a telescope with a lower F ratio.

I would ask for advice from http://stargazerslounge.com/ before you commit to buying anything, you will get the best advice from there. :)

Soldato
Thanks for your thoughts Mik3.
AP does indeed interest me although I need to walk (crawl actually) before I run. To that end I was going to get a wedge in a few months or a year or so. I need the instrument to be portable to carry 400m on a cart to the back of where I live and the CPC 925 fits that bill nicely. Maybe the CPC 800 instead. Do you think 1.5 inch of aperture is such a big deal for portability?

Why should the FL matter?

KS

I have the CPC 800 and it is just about portable with man handling, I've picked up a 925 in the past and I would say you will definitely need the cart (make it well padded ;) ) you mentioned.

Associate
Question! (probably a silly one)

What would happen if you were to reduce the mass and distance between all the celestial bodies of our solar system by a half. So basically everything is made smaller, but every ratio is kept constant, would everything still act as it does now?

Soldato
Question! (probably a silly one)

What would happen if you were to reduce the mass and distance between all the celestial bodies of our solar system by a half. So basically everything is made smaller, but every ratio is kept constant, would everything still act as it does now?

I should be able to answer that question!
It's too late at night though, I think it won't work as you would need to quarter the mass of everything and not half.
There are too many equations involved, circular motion, gravitation field strength etc.. Whoever made the Universe must have been a maths genius. Oh yes and when Energy gets involved it gets much worse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom