*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) has now captured nearly seven years worth of ultra-high resolution solar footage. This time lapse shows that full run from two of SDO's instruments. The large orange sun is visible light captured by HMI. The smaller golden sun is extreme ultraviolet light from AIA and reveals some of the suns atmosphere, the corona. Both appear at one frame every 12 hours. SDO's nearly unbroken run is now long enough to watch the rise and fall of the current solar cycle. The graph of solar activity shows the sunspot number, a measurement based on the number of individual spots and the number of sunspot groups. In this case, the line represents a smoothed 26-day average to more clearly show the overall trend.

Engineers at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland practice moving a mock up version of the James Webb Space Telescope onto the vibration facility, before moving the actual telescope for sine vibration tests:

NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope has found a signal at the center of the neighboring Andromeda galaxy that could indicate the presence of the mysterious stuff known as dark matter:

so amazing, and the rate of discovery is just going exponential. cant wait for JWST and TESS to launch. i realy feel like we will get to a point of finding a earth like atmosphere within 2 decades and possibly much sooner. all the telescope time this is know getting as well as its own missions.

we just need some direct imaging to massively improve, an even that there's plenty of ideas on how to do it.

the short orbits makes them easy to see not only more wobble, but so much more data, not having to wait several years to see it pass a few times.

We need to put a massive telescope in space orbit and focus it onto these planets and similar ones.

Pretty sure I read somewhere its doable, look at all the money spent on Mars I'm sure it wouldn't be more then all that.

We need to put a massive telescope in space orbit and focus it onto these planets and similar ones.

Pretty sure I read somewhere its doable, look at all the money spent on Mars I'm sure it wouldn't be more then all that.

if spaceX ITS ever flies then it would be doable for cheap. no expensive folding like jwst. the mars spacecraft is 12x48m. think what you could fit in that payload area. then look at the ideas of building in space, what if you could just load a ITS up with mirrors and then build a structure up there, still need one of teh ideas to block the stars light to see the planet.

Back
Top Bottom