*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
Stars in constellations are each given letters of the greek alphabet in order of their apparent brightness. The brightest star is labeled alpha, second brightest beta etc.

(They are not the names of the stars, just labels of brightness basically)

oh right, but which constellation they consist? i am using google sky and doesnt name them

BTW couldnt see the comet from where i live, maybe it has to do with me being further south

Soldato
oh right, but which constellation they consist? i am using google sky and doesnt name them

BTW couldnt see the comet from where i live, maybe it has to do with me being further south

The constellations in that pic were Andromeda (where the comet is now) and Cassiopeia...

Last edited:
Soldato
The constellations in that pic were Andromeda (where the comet is now) and Cassiopeia...

Not sure about the comet viewing in Greece though! :o

google maps show andromeda below the horizon at the moment :confused:
i am seeing this:
Screenshot_2013-04-02-00-55-44_zps535e4e9e.png

Soldato
google maps show andromeda below the horizon at the moment :confused:
i am seeing this:

Yes it dips below the horizon not long after sunset, you need to look for it right after sunset which is when the comet is visible and still above the horizon. I think it stays below until the very early hours!

Soldato
See anything good tonight Tibbz, good viewing around my parts, but saving it for wed night up in the hills for some comet spotting again.:)

3 new spots tonight, I was only out an hour and was mainly browsing old objects because I'm waiting for my Telrad to arrive!

Saturn - I can see why they say it's the most beautiful thing in the sky for sure! Highlight of the night for certain!

M13 - This one also blew me away. (I wasn't full dark adapted so I was using averted vision) It just appeared as a smudge looking straight at it, but using AV oh my god it was an amazing sight :eek:

M103 - Nice little cluster, but didn't spend too long on it unfortunately...

All in all a damn cold but good night :)

Soldato
Went out again tonight (under a lot more LP, different location) and managed to find most the old favourites, as well as the Ring Nebula, which I was amazed I could see under such light low on the horizon :)

My fingers are still stinging though!

Back
Top Bottom