*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Man of Honour
That would be a good trip.

Unfortunately, no Spain telescope on that site tonight, total cloud cover and rain, roof is staying shut.

Man of Honour
Anyone use http://itelescope.net

Signed up for the demo+ $5 AUD for 70points. Which appears to be about 30min to 1hr imaging time, depending on telescope, times etc. Nd apparently only charged for imaging time, not skewing and all the other stuff.

No idea what the hell I'm doing, scheduled a single picture, probably messed it up and won't get anything. And will take a nose when Spain comes online.

I'll have to have a go at this. :)

Man of Honour
first picture didn't go well, only cost 3 points though.

M42 5min exposure.
2rs7.jpg

why does it streak like that?

and what are the different filers? that was luminance filter. what if I want colour image?
options for filters
luminance
red
green
blue
ha
OIII
SII

would I need to take three? RGB and combine?

anyone use stellarium?
if so anyway of placing "Minimum Target Elevation: Approx 15-25 Degrees in East, West & South. " lines on it so I can see when stuff comes into view of the telescope for planning.

just basically clueless.

the simple colour telescope, is it new mexico and didn't open due to poor weather last night. That only has one option, colour photo for beginners.

Also got 30day trial of maxim DL 5, is there a free alternative?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
2nd attempt

10min exposure on a bigger telescope.
Ngc3132 missing in action. At work and laptop keeps crashing for some reason, so only have access to the jpeg and not the tif files. Can't see anything in the win8 app store to open the tif file on surface rt.
3h3e.jpg

That one cost a lot ~30points.

Back on the cheaper telescope doing a 5min exposure, found the visual filter this time though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
3rd is pants as well.

I chose the visual filter but still no colour

NGC5158, 5min, visual filter.
75gy.jpg

Still maybe when I get home and fix laptop the tif files might be better.
Biggest issue, is I've literally jumped on and have no clue at all.

Edit - now doing a 5min exposure each of red, blue, green will then need to be put together in post editing. I have no idea how to do that.

Found a guide, but don't have PhotoShop, wonder if it can be done in a free image editor.

http://lcogt.net/education/article/how-make-color-astronomical-images-photoshop

Last edited:
Man of Honour
now I'm on laptop and a bit of post processing, this one isn't to bad, shame its not in colour.

NG5128
j6uj.jpg

M42 would be nice in colour and sort out what ever happened to those stars.
i7vn.jpg

Combined RBG 5mins on each, NGC3372
3sp0.jpg

cm80.jpg

yld3.jpg

now I know semi what I'm doing, I want some more credits, its reasonably expensive though :(
post processing is vital.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Definitely going to try this. How much have you spent so far?

Sigma up for the free trial, this gets you 40 points and acessmto only couple of telescope. Them do the Demo upgrade, it adds 30poimts and doubles the telescopes you have access to. Cost $5aud so about £2.20.

After that its $1aud per point. But really you want a monthly plan which stats at $40 for 40points, but get access to all the telescopes.

Man of Honour
Well, I've caved and signed up for the plan 40. Where can I learn about Astrophotography. Mainly for each given nebula/galaxy what sort of focal length/magnification, exposure time etc etc.

As the site gives you all the info about the telescopes, but I don't really know what I'm doing, as per usual, still need to learn how to use sterallium as well.

Back
Top Bottom