** The Official ASUS P5N-E SLI & Ultra 650i Thread **

Soldato
Hi all, just wanted to check something over, my E8400 and ATI 4890 arrived today, so going to install tomorrow night, I have 1404 Bios image on my USB stick, procedure for tomorrow "should" be:

Clear cmos, flash bios using asus ez-flash, clear cmos again, put new chip in, load optimized defaults, pray to god?

:D

Soldato
ARGH!

Hate this board flashing, lol, ended up with 1404 and a black screen whenever I try to go to the bios, managed to fix it after removed the battery and a few other jumpers, but *sigh* what a pain, and the xfx gfx card I bought on top seems to be faulty too, artifacts all over the screen :(

Associate
woot for digging up an old thread :p

Started to have some fun with overclocking my E6600 and P5NE-SLI, I need to hit some more mhz as my 4890 slapped me saying give me more juice!

I saw the guide on page 11 "http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8635029&postcount=322" and followed it to the word.... after the reboot from changing the voltages my pc died and i has to reset cmos. However before that i did have a moment of glory when i i only changed 1066 to 1200 using standard voltages and i got my first every OC of 300Mhz!! :D
I have rebooted and set all the settings up "ie disable all the stuff in the guiide" and it boots. I've not changed any voltages apart from set my ram to 1.920v and set the timings so i can use the pc till i get some advice. Also changing everything apart from the voltages must mean one of them wasnt liked...?

Anyways i have some questions if thats ok :)

My ram is a bugger i can run 1x2GB with no mem settings but having 4GB in at once means i have to boot up with 2GB change settings and add the other 2GB after. Should i continue to OC with 4GB and keep the settings @ 5-5-5-18 2T 1.920V? or should i change to 2GB and keep everything on auto and add the 2GB ram after i have tried to OC?

What app shows me what my NB temps are and where in the app are they please? I fitted a HR-05 with no fan and im wanting to keep an eye on it "incase i need to strap her up with a fan"

Does anything i change ie the stuff at the start of the guide with all the disabling, have to be changed back after the overclock?

Currently Speedfan says my CPU is 19oC idle and Pcwizard says 25oC

Thanks for your time!

EDIT:

Ok i cant leave it i went for some more fun

changed everything to disable ect and then set the VCore voltage to 1.4 then set NB to 1.563
I left the memory to 1.920 and also left the VCore Offset Voltage to auto

looted up did @ 1200 X 800 unlinked ran orthos got 42oC at load @ 2700mhz core in cpuz shows 1.312 "side of case was off"

rebooted changed to 1248 X 800 and run orthos and got 49oC at load @ 2808mhz. Core was at 1.376 with no load and when load kicked in went bouncing from 1.312 + 1.328 + 1.344

maybe im getting somwhere :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I think thats a bit warm.

Its pretty cool how its still working up to that temperature though. I also have the same heatsink on the NB but with an 80mm fan, and speedfan shows the NB temp at 34C, max it gets to is about 40C, but Im pretty sure the flakey NB is the reason why I cant seem to push my OC further and why my PC sometimes acts up when accessing disk drives (cant reproduce the problem at will though). Sometimes it all feels sluggish for a 3.8ghz dual core with 4gig ram, and I think its all because of that NB.

Anyway if I had your CPU I would be aiming for 3.2ghz and trying to go further to 3.6, but with my mobo (dunno about yours, maybe mine is faulty) I dont think it will like an FSB higher than 1218 regardless what I do. Either that or Im hitting FSB holes when I try go further.

Soldato
I'm guessing you are using XP, so I suggest you concentrate on 2GB as 4GB is a pain on this mobo. After you are happy, re-evaluate whether you need the extra 4GB. At least that way you can decide for yourself.

Right now you are impatient (I am too!), my advice is to just enjoy the experience, set out a plan and follow it through with a spreadsheet of results. That way you can make a calculated decision on what's the best configuration for you.

As for the NB, I currently have a small fan over it pushing air out to the exhaust fan at the back. I remember having stability issues without some sort of NB cooling.

I currently have a E4300 running 1333 (4x) FSB with a 9x multiple, which has got me 3Ghz with no problems for over two years. I have 2GB (1 stick) of RAM at stock volts and default settings. I used to have a dual set (2x1GB) but they died, so I didn't feel the need to overclock my new stick as the performance difference was negligible.

Uunfortunately after an unforeseen accident with air in a can a few weeks back (thermal freezing I believe), I think i've shorted something so my southbridge is giving me problems with the network controller. That doesn't mean I won't still be using it, i'm getting me a cheap wireless USB stick as the mobo still runs fine with overclocked volts.

Have fun, this motherboard has been a real trooper over the last two years for me.

It even survived the trip to Hong Kong when I moved here two years ago. :)

Last edited:
Associate
ordered a 80mm fan so im sure i can fix it up, kinda running out of room in there lol!

problem is ive got the 2x120mm fans sideways so its a push and pull system out the back so the HR-05 is facing towards the PSU

a quick google and i find this

Thermaltake is like this - http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/setter123_photos/DSC00109Medium.jpg

HR05 like this - http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/858/tuniqtower120085customqt9.jpg

The HR-05 is right up against the thermaltake 120, should i move things about as it currently looks like this... as if not the fan will be blowing in to the CPU or sucking air out of the HR-05 and i think it would be better to have to blowing through it???

Soldato
Unless its unstable dont worry about it. temp1 would be the northbridge which is pretty toasty on top volts. I have 48c

I would just recommend good case cooling in general, does anyone use the automatic fan controllers on this board to good effect

temp2 i think is case temp. See what your graphics card says and hdd, the higher temp is almost certainly nb. dont think the sb has a temp

Last edited:
Associate
Unless its unstable dont worry about it. temp1 would be the northbridge which is pretty toasty on top volts. I have 48c

I would just recommend good case cooling in general, does anyone use the automatic fan controllers on this board to good effect

temp2 i think is case temp. See what your graphics card says and hdd, the higher temp is almost certainly nb. dont think the sb has a temp

Thanks for the post m8, so 100% temp 1 is NB and Temp 2 is Motherboard

for my gfx card and hdd temps u can see them above

whats a safe motherboard temp?

Soldato
motherboard is just case temp, so at best its going to be the same as your room temp or the worst I ever did was 50c for case temp :eek: half a dozen ide drives in a desktop case :o

30 would be nice, I dont see there is any unsafe since 50 didnt wreck anything and thats awful. Just went from 39 to 34 by maxing the gfx fan

Associate
Thanks for your help m8, i upped my gfx card fans on my 4890 and it shot from 47oc right down to 39oc and it wasnt even on full lolz

so it seems i need something to remove the heat being stored in the case :(

seems odd when i have 2x120mm blowing in and 1 x 120mm blowing out

Last edited:
Soldato
If I recall correctly there is no northbridge temperature sensor. The sensors are near the southbridge and near the soundcard end of the I/O block at the back.

You really need active cooling on the northbridge to get the best performance from this board. I think you have to bear in mind that this was always a budget system - I think I got mine for £70 in January 2007 so many modern monitoring and control features are missing.

Associate
30e4649c772662231cecdef8932e1f41.jpg

if i remove that thing on the north bridge heatsink to put arctic cooling mx2 thermal compound will the heatsink sit well on the motherboard or i will have problem? Has anyone tried this?

Soldato
I've had some issues transferring larger (1gb+) files to any none NTFS USB drive in Windows 7, which has been pointed out to possibly be the USB chipset used by this board, has anyone else expereinced such a thing? :(

Back
Top Bottom