*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
It's hilarious that you mention a lack of punching power in the lower weight divisions and Benn in the same sentence. All he did was throw bombs, with hate, he wanted to knock the other guys head off with every punch. AJ got knocked down so many times in the last fight, he should have been out for revenge. Imo

You must be blind, I said it's not cheating... Its just not that great against such an unfit boxer like Ruiz. People are going on like they've witnessed another Ali vs Foreman type fight, when it was just a guy auditioning for Strickly Come Dancing against an unfit Mexican.

Ruiz is fit. It’s exhausting getting beat up for 12 rounds.

Soldato
Looks like I quoted the wrong chap :D, I think Wesley will be sitting chuckling to himself.

I do however disagree with your assessment. Joshua stuck to his gameplan and didn't need to go for the knockout. Ruiz never stood a chance of catching Joshua last night however if he got drawn into a brawl again anything could have happened. Ruiz still had quick hands, it was his footwork that let him down.

I understand the gameplan was to get through this fight, so he can fight more useless boxers and make lots of money. I just don't think it was particularly impressive. But then the Heavyweight division is mostly garbage nowadays.

Ruiz is fit. It’s exhausting getting beat up for 12 rounds.

He wasn't beaten up, he was jabbed mostly. Around 10 punches a round landed.

Caporegime
Having watched the Ruiz post fight interview I kinda dont want to believe this, but I think they did nothing in preparation at all? Ruiz ate all the pies, did a short training camp thinking they will could clip him again and breeze it. I dont think they took it serious at all.

What a joker. I had a lot of time for Ruiz hes very likeable but hes also a fool

Yeah, so just goes to show you how good Joshua is, getting taken all the way, and having to get the win via a points decision :eek: :D

Associate
I understand the gameplan was to get through this fight, so he can fight more useless boxers and make lots of money. I just don't think it was particularly impressive. But then the Heavyweight division is mostly garbage nowadays.

Horses for courses, I thought he did a very good job last night.

Usyk has been made his mandatory by the wbo, if he comes through that hopefully we will see him face fury, wilder our maybe both.

Soldato

So Ruiz is fit, you just don’t like boxing as a sport. That’s all you have to say really.

Last edited:
Soldato
Horses for courses, I thought he did a very good job last night.

Usyk has been made his mandatory by the wbo, if he comes through that hopefully we will see him face fury, wilder our maybe both.

Usyk is whole other problem. He is an incredible talent with huge amount of experience.

Soldato
You said Ruiz was unfit, he’s not as he shown last night by taking a beating for 12 rounds. In the last 30 seconds of the fight he wanted a slug feast.

As I've said before you don't need to be fit to endure 10 jabs a round for 12 rounds.

He was clearly unfit, he weighed 20 stone and you could see the flab wobble when he walked.

I like boxing, I don't like borefests.

Soldato
As I've said before you don't need to be fit to endure 10 jabs a round for 12 rounds.

He was clearly unfit, he weighed 20 stone and you could see the flab wobble when he walked.

Ah so you think only scoring shots count and the actual act of boxing is exertion free. Sorry but you are talking cobblers. As I’ve said before you don’t need to look like Adonis to be fit.

You like boxing but you are showing an amazing lack of knowledge about the sport. Try going to the gym and hitting a punch bag for 12 rounds. Even without a HW throwing punches at you it’s exhausting.

Soldato
AJ deserves huge credit for mentally winning this fight after that massive loss he took and going away and working on what he needed to do.

however Ruiz what a joke, he basically chinned off any sort of prep and just got fatter. Total disrespect for the position he had. Fair play he got his dream last time and got paid but to turn into a fat mess basically, not good at all.

As much as AJ won it through working hard since the defeat, Ruiz basically lost it for just accepting he found a way of winning and not being prepared to put the hard work in again.

Soldato
AJ deserves huge credit for mentally winning this fight after that massive loss he took and going away and working on what he needed to do.

however Ruiz what a joke, he basically chinned off any sort of prep and just got fatter. Total disrespect for the position he had. Fair play he got his dream last time and got paid but to turn into a fat mess basically, not good at all.

As much as AJ won it through working hard since the defeat, Ruiz basically lost it for just accepting he found a way of winning and not being prepared to put the hard work in again.

Yes :) and with less than 25 pro fights AJ is a 2 time champion

He looked aweful last night , slow way too fat and didnt seem to know what to do either , too much pizza and curry

Soldato
Ah so you think only scoring shots count and the actual act of boxing is exertion free. Sorry but you are talking cobblers. As I’ve said before you don’t need to look like Adonis to be fit.

There are quotes out by Ruiz saying he didn't take the fight seriously and that partying for 3 months and eating too much kinda affected him. And quotes by Wilder saying the same.

But ok, yeah according to you Ruiz was in tip top shape. And Joshua beat a man in prime condition.

You like boxing but you are showing an amazing lack of knowledge about the sport. Try going to the gym and hitting a punch bag for 12 rounds. Even without a HW throwing punches at you it’s exhausting.

Any pro boxer will be conditioned to do over 12 rounds of hitting a punch bag every day in training. To say just throwing 22 punches a round (5 connecting) in anyway suggests an up to speed fighter is ridiculous, and I put it to you that it is you showing the amazing lack of knowledge.

Soldato
There are quotes out by Ruiz saying he didn't take the fight seriously and that partying for 3 months and eating too much kinda affected him. And quotes by Wilder saying the same.

But ok, yeah according to you Ruiz was in tip top shape. And Joshua beat a man in prime condition.

Ruiz said a lot of things, however he was fighting fit. I disagreed with your view of Ruiz's fitness because it's false

Any pro boxer will be conditioned to do over 12 rounds of hitting a punch bag every day in training. To say just throwing 22 punches a round (5 connecting) in anyway suggests an up to speed fighter is ridiculous, and I put it to you that it is you showing the amazing lack of knowledge.

Nope, you start with 4 round fights and work up to 12 slowly. Usually 2 rounds at a time. Fighting for 12 rounds is hard work. most people will never reach that level of fitness. Ruiz landed nothing because of Joshua, not because he couldn't.

Associate

Ruiz, throughout his career, has never been "fit", as he has never had to be and he has never wanted to be either - his lifestyle is typical of the man he wants to be. His style doesn't lean himself to be that well-conditioned either. Ruiz doesn't and has never from the fights I have seen work every round of any given fight, he fights in bursts when he can get in range. Ruiz's problem for his style hasn't been about fitness, it's been about his footspeed, hence why he struggled so much more to get in close quarters with Joshua. AJ's problem last time out was that he stayed in range far too often and got tagged too much - Ruiz didn't need footspeed then, last night he did.

This is the fight AJ should have played last time in June, but according to Hearn, he wasn't in the right headspace - AJ was unprofessional then, taking Ruiz far too lightly - last night he righted those wrongs and fought the "right" fight. Was he fearing Ruiz? Yeah, sure he was - he had his whole destiny at stake.

Was Ruiz overweight last night - yep he was, however, Ruiz has been this heavy before in his second fight - I also remember Freddie Roach saying that Ruiz fights better with fat, though I doubt he would have liked seeing any of his fighters in such poor conditioning, but as I have already alluded to, Ruiz isn't like every other HW
where conditioning is concerned.

I bet with anyone that neither Wilder or Fury trade with Ruiz on the inside. He is dangerous regardless of the weight he carries - Speed carries power and if he can get some form of positive attitude and stay at a reasonable weight for his style, then he will be a danger in this division - last night showed he was ill-disciplined in his
approach to his training camp and paid the ultimate price.

Back
Top Bottom