*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Associate
Wilder was great but Fury was even greater. Err no Deontay was his usual windmilling self relying exclusively on his right hand and Fury continued to lay a beat down on Wilders average, delusional excuse making self.

Yet he almost pulled it off despite being dead in the 3rd. Despite having one trick.

Permabanned
Yet he almost pulled it off despite being dead in the 3rd. Despite having one trick.
Pulled what off? He got battered almost for the whole fight. He smashed Fury in the forehead in the forth which didn’t actually knock him down straight away but he went down, then the second “knock down” if you actually watch it closely Fury wasn’t knocked down with a punch, he was pulled over.

He showed heart? No he showed his considerable sized Ego, that after all the ridiculous excuses he made to cover up his last loss, he desperately wanted to show the World he really is the baddest man on the planet. If Fury could punch like Aj or Whyte etc the fight would’ve been over in the 3rd.

Associate
It's amazing the disrespect AJ gets for losing to someone like Usyk. A man who had over 300 amateur fights and undisputed at cruiserweight - There is no shame in that. People forget that AJ started at 18 and in that time he won pretty much everything at amateur level and was a world champion in a few more years.

I still think Usyk beats him again for as long as AJ stays gun-shy but it's not like he just lost to some nobody :o

Against Usyk he performed significantly worse than Chisora did. He had all the advantages in power, size and athleticism. But didn't have the heart or stamina to impose his advantages.

Soldato
Against Usyk he performed significantly worse than Chisora did. He had all the advantages in power, size and athleticism. But didn't have the heart or stamina to impose his advantages.
AJ can't fight like ChiSora just as Chisora can't fight like AJ. Chisora is a 6'1" pressure fighter who was much closer to height to Usyk and his style has always been to have his chin close to his chest and walk people down. AJ is a 6'5" and taller than Usyk so Derek's style would have never worked for AJ. As the saying goes, Styles make fights.

AJ's mistake was to try and prove he could box with Usyk, when everyone was telling him that was exactly what not to do. He had the advantage in power and size but I wouldn't say either man held an advantage in athleticism. In the rematch he needs to employ tactics that suit his attributes. Use his weight and size to manhandle Usyk and really put it on him. He will never beat Usyk in a boxing match but we saw in that fight he hit him once or twice where Usyk took a half step and AJ should've jumped on him. He probably has that Andy Ruiz moment living in his head where he thought he had him finished and got dropped with a counter as his finishing has been a bit poor since then.

Soldato
AJ can't fight like ChiSora just as Chisora can't fight like AJ. Chisora is a 6'1" pressure fighter who was much closer to height to Usyk and his style has always been to have his chin close to his chest and walk people down. AJ is a 6'5" and taller than Usyk so Derek's style would have never worked for AJ. As the saying goes, Styles make fights.

AJ's mistake was to try and prove he could box with Usyk, when everyone was telling him that was exactly what not to do. He had the advantage in power and size but I wouldn't say either man held an advantage in athleticism. In the rematch he needs to employ tactics that suit his attributes. Use his weight and size to manhandle Usyk and really put it on him. He will never beat Usyk in a boxing match but we saw in that fight he hit him once or twice where Usyk took a half step and AJ should've jumped on him. He probably has that Andy Ruiz moment living in his head where he thought he had him finished and got dropped with a counter as his finishing has been a bit poor since then.

That's great summary to be fair. 100% agree with the above.

Don
So it's looking like DAZN is going to turn out no different to Sky and BT moving forwards - the 'Netflix of Sport' and 'one affordable monthly subscription' stuff was nothing more than spin. It's pretty much been confirmed that moving forwards all big fights will not be included in your DAZN subscription and will be sold separately on a PPV basis, just like they were on Sky. Other than a tiny percentage of viewers that were subscribing to Sky just for the boxing, viewers are now going to end up paying more for all the same content they had in their Sky subscription and will still be asked to pay out extra whenever there's a big fight.

And if and when the DAZN/BT deal is tied up, even those who were just subscribing to Sky for just the boxing will end up paying just as much, if not more than before.

Soldato
So it's looking like DAZN is going to turn out no different to Sky and BT moving forwards - the 'Netflix of Sport' and 'one affordable monthly subscription' stuff was nothing more than spin. It's pretty much been confirmed that moving forwards all big fights will not be included in your DAZN subscription and will be sold separately on a PPV basis, just like they were on Sky. Other than a tiny percentage of viewers that were subscribing to Sky just for the boxing, viewers are now going to end up paying more for all the same content they had in their Sky subscription and will still be asked to pay out extra whenever there's a big fight.

And if and when the DAZN/BT deal is tied up, even those who were just subscribing to Sky for just the boxing will end up paying just as much, if not more than before.

That's not quite how I understand the situation.

The biggest fights may (being real, most likely will) be PPV if DAZN need to be competitive otherwise other networks like Sky, BT or internationally like PBC/Fox/Showtime, ESPN/FOX will get the rights to the broadcast. However cards that most likely would've been PPV in the UK, like Whyte vs Wallin and Chisora vs Parker which Sky would've 100% put up for £19.99 PPV are going to be part of the subscription.

They haven't done a PPV yet so it remains to be seen what kind of events would be on PPV neither have we seen the price they would do it for if they did. Joshua vs Usyk was £25 on Sky. If DAZN set their PPV specials price at £10 or even £15 that's still significantly less than what Sky would charge.

I'd lower the pitchfork until they actually do a PPV.

Don
That's not quite how I understand the situation.

The biggest fights may (being real, most likely will) be PPV if DAZN need to be competitive otherwise other networks like Sky, BT or internationally like PBC/Fox/Showtime, ESPN/FOX will get the rights to the broadcast. However cards that most likely would've been PPV in the UK, like Whyte vs Wallin and Chisora vs Parker which Sky would've 100% put up for £19.99 PPV are going to be part of the subscription.

They haven't done a PPV yet so it remains to be seen what kind of events would be on PPV neither have we seen the price they would do it for if they did. Joshua vs Usyk was £25 on Sky. If DAZN set their PPV specials price at £10 or even £15 that's still significantly less than what Sky would charge.

I'd lower the pitchfork until they actually do a PPV.
This is Eddie Hearn spin. How many PPV fights are/were there in a year on Sky? 4 or 5 at most, with a couple of those being AJ fights which Hearn has confirmed will be PPV on DAZN if DAZN can get them. So the £96 per year it costs to subscribe to DAZN gets you 2 or 3 PPV cards which would have cost you £40-60 on Sky and a lot of people would have considered not worthy of PPV.

The only people that DAZN works for is the very small number of people that were subscribing to Sky purely for the boxing. Anybody that was subscribing to Sky for more than the boxing and is now subscribing to both is now worse off. They're now paying out £50 odd per year more for the same content and that assumes that they would have paid for every PPV on Sky, even the **** ones. And as I mentioned in my last post, if and when the DAZN/BT deal goes through and the £8 per month becomes £30-40 per month, even those that only want the boxing are likely to be paying as much if not more than before.

Soldato
This is Eddie Hearn spin. How many PPV fights are/were there in a year on Sky? 4 or 5 at most, with a couple of those being AJ fights which Hearn has confirmed will be PPV on DAZN if DAZN can get them. So the £96 per year it costs to subscribe to DAZN gets you 2 or 3 PPV cards which would have cost you £40-60 on Sky and a lot of people would have considered not worthy of PPV.
2016 - 5
2017 - 5
2018 - 6
2019 - 6
2020 - 3
2021 - 2 (however the Chisora and Whyte fights would've most likely been PPV based on their previous fights)

How many of the fights in each year would've been worth the PPV price? Maybe half if that.

The only people that DAZN works for is the very small number of people that were subscribing to Sky purely for the boxing. Anybody that was subscribing to Sky for more than the boxing and is now subscribing to both is now worse off. They're now paying out £50 odd per year more for the same content and that assumes that they would have paid for every PPV on Sky, even the **** ones. And as I mentioned in my last post, if and when the DAZN/BT deal goes through and the £8 per month becomes £30-40 per month, even those that only want the boxing are likely to be paying as much if not more than before.

Why do you think the price would suddenly increase to potentially 400% of what it currently costs?! It costs something like $120 a year in the US and has a lot more content, they'd be killing their business if they tried to even charge the lower £30 a month you're suggesting. You're just plucking numbers out of the air. I could say they're going to raise their price to £10 and it's just as much speculation as you're throwing at the wall and hoping something will stick.

We've no idea what fights they'd show as PPV and we also have no idea how much they'd charge subscribers for PPV events. If it's £10 on top of my monthly subscription to DAZN in order to make the fight, so be it.

Don
2016 - 5....
So 3 non Joshua PPV fights per year on average? So you're now going to pay near enough £100 for those 3 PPV cards on DAZN, which is more than if you bought them on Sky.

Why do you think the price would suddenly increase to potentially 400% of what it currently costs?!
Because that's exactly what DAZN have done in Italy when they got the Serie A football rights. DAZN are paying circa 800m euros per season for the Serie A rights and increased their subscription to 30 euros per month. The total cost of taking over all of BT's sports rights (PL, CL + various other sports) will far excede the 800m euros they're paying in Italy which led to a 30 euro per month subscription cost. Maybe they'll do some sort of introductory offer but if and when they get football rights over here then their subscription will be in the £30-40 per month range.

And you're right about not knowing what sort of fights are going to be classed as PPV but for my calculations I've just used the Joshua fights as Hearn confirmed that his fights would only ever be on PPV. Joshua has typically fought twice per year so best case scenario you're paying £100 odd for on average 3 'PPV cards'. The cynic in me thinks that in 12 months time Hearn will be giving an interview trying to justify why Whyte vs <average fighter> can also only be made on PPV on DAZN too.

Soldato
But you're assuming I only bought Joshua fights when I also watched Dillian's fights too - mostly because I prefer him as a character to Joshua.

I'll also watch the international fights too. If you only watch boxing for the AJ cards then yeah, maybe it is a bad deal. But I watch a lot of the matchroom and international cards so for the current price of £8 a month I still think it's a pretty decent deal.

Have to admit, I didn't realise the price rise in Italy. Though I know DAZN are trying to get the F1 rights when they're up for sale and if they manage to get them from Sky I wont mind a price raise because i literally only have Sky Sports for the F1.

Don
I'm not really assuming anything. If you're somebody that subscribed to Sky purely for the boxing, it's a good deal. I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of Sky Sports subscribers were not doing that though and we all know the biggest driver for Sky sports subs is the PL football. For those people that were subscribing to Sky for more than just the boxing, to enjoy the same content that they had before, it is going to cost them more. Just how much more will depend on how many of the Sky PPV's they paid for. Joshua PPV's aren't relevant as we know that he'll be PPV on DAZN or Sky. If you're somebody that didn't buy any of the other PPV's and just watched the Saturday fight nights, it's now costing you nearly £100 per year more. If you're somebody that bought all the PPV's, it's now costing you around £40-50 more depending on just how many smaller PPV's there would have been in that year.

Just like BT, Amazon and whoever else, DAZN coming along means one thing and that is the viwer has to pay more to watch the same content that they had before. There will be minorities that are better off, of course but on the whole it's bad for the viewer.

Soldato
Anything that means I can get away from SkySports is better for me but as you say I'm not the majority as all I want is F1 and Boxing.

Unrelated but this is a fantastic watch

Back
Top Bottom