*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Crashing when leaving a station blowing yourself up and losing 70k of invested cargo then accidentally cancelling a contract worth 60k is really funny, seriously I have to laugh or I'd uninstall :p

Man of Honour
Thrustmaster T.16000M, especially if you haven't used a joystick in years. It's exceptionally smooth and accurate, more so than many very expensive sticks. You can always pair it with a proper throttle later on such as the CH Pro Throttle or a second hand X52/X52Pro throttle.

That would cost ~£150 - ~£50 for the stick and ~£100 for the throttle. It's not an amount I could reasonably spend for one game. It's quite a lot of money for me. I could justify it to myself if I was really into flight sims, but not for one game. Not even Elite.

Man of Honour
Had a HOTAS X, good sturdy stick, downside, cable between throttle and joystick is too short, may be a problem if you have a long keyboard such as a K95.

Hmm...I'm reading that the cable between throttle and joystick is 18 inches long. My keyboard is 18.5 inches wide. I hadn't considered that issue.

The replies have tipped me towards it, though. I wanted it anyway, but I was balking at paying as much for the controller as for the game. Maybe I won't even like the game. Unlikely, but possible. There's the risk of meeting childhood heroes, so to speak. I had so much enjoyment from Elite when I was 14 that it's bound to be colouring my attitude towards Elite: Dangerous. But probably not. I've enjoyed watching videos of other people playing it, so I really should enjoy playing it.

As an aside, I still have my original Elite Lenslok as a momento. I'm inclined to think that I probably will have £70 worth of fun from Elite: Dangerous.

The Thrustmaster HOTAS X is out of stock at OcUK. Bah! It's £40+ at other places. Now I'm curious as to how much effect the imminent release of Elite: Dangerous has had on joystick sales and if other places have increased the price because of increased demand.

Associate
So I've amassed a small fortune of 55k credits so far !!! :p

What would be the best path, grab a 40k Viper and kit it our for combat ? or grab a Hauler 50k and trade myself to glory ? Also, would another 20-25k credits be good to have to kit said ships out with ? cheers

Get the Hauler! You get trade in for your Sidewinder, so only you will have plenty of cash left.

I have only just got my Hauler, upgraded the cargo bays (now carries 16 Tonnes) and made another 70k within a couple of hours :) You get access to more lucrative transport missions, and of course, trading becomes much more profitable :)

Planning on putting some time in this weekend to get the Cobra, then start improving my combat skills.

Soldato
I've actually moved from my X52Pro to flying with the mouse and keyboard - once I did a healthy rebind session I actually find it better - I am using an MMO mouse though with loads of thumb buttons. I still like having the TrackIr but I am going to flog the stick off as this would be the last game I would use it on as I now find mouse and KB to be more accurate in Arma 3 too.

Soldato
Get the Hauler! You get trade in for your Sidewinder, so only you will have plenty of cash left.

I have only just got my Hauler, upgraded the cargo bays (now carries 16 Tonnes) and made another 70k within a couple of hours :) You get access to more lucrative transport missions, and of course, trading becomes much more profitable :)

Planning on putting some time in this weekend to get the Cobra, then start improving my combat skills.

I've found a nice trade route which is funding the cause nicely. I did grab the Viper Mk III and gave it some shiny weapons as I haven't done any dog fighting as of yet.

I should have enough for the Zorg Hauler after a few more deliveries, so much to do so little time :p

Associate
I've found a nice trade route which is funding the cause nicely. I did grab the Viper Mk III and gave it some shiny weapons as I haven't done any dog fighting as of yet.

I should have enough for the Zorg Hauler after a few more deliveries, so much to do so little time :p

You using the trading tool?

Soldato
Help needed with Roccat Powergrid...

I am trying to get powergrid and the E:D panel working on my PC however I don't have wifi in my shed (I am hardwired from the router upstairs in the house out to a gigabit network switch in the shed and the wifi from the router does not extend that far).

Is there a way to connect the phone and pc via a USB cable and get them to talk to roccat software? I have faffed about for a bit but frankly lost the will to live. This networking stuff is a bit beyond my years.

I am running android on a galaxy note. Thanks in advance.

I use one of these
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=241&model=TL-WR702N
to create a mini-wifi spot

Soldato
You using the trading tool?

I've use http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/ - very handy

Seems rather close to release asking this but is the Beta worth it now? or just the pre order...yes £35 - £50 but is there more with the Beta after release?

It's a quality of life thing, I'd saved up a few extra beans and decided to grab it the other week so I could play it immediately. The extra cash for the privilege I just consider a 'tip' to Braben and Frontier for bringing back my favorite childhood game :D

Associate
I've use http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/ - very handy

It's a quality of life thing, I'd saved up a few extra beans and decided to grab it the other week so I could play it immediately. The extra cash for the privilege I just consider a 'tip' to Braben and Frontier for bringing back my favorite childhood game :D

Plus the added perks - you get to start playing the final version (probably no resets) from Nov 22nd, and you get a free pass to systems you would normally need reputation to enter - Sol for example :D

Soldato
Just got the beta, i couldnt resist and them reductions in insurance im sure will come in handy and u get a free ship when there released as in one of the new 5 that will come, well if i read it right u get a free ship.

Plus sol access tho i duno how much use it will be after all its just a system like others no?

Had a go in my hotas x and the control with it compared to freespace and x rebirth is vastly different it actually works great in elite compared to either too sensitive in fs or no interia in rebirth etc.

Tho only thing im having trouble with is turning with roll to line up where i want to go, i have never did this before in flight games its always been wasd usually and a and d is left and right not roll left or right. Anyone else like me having the sense that its weird to fly like that if so did you get over it quick or took a lot of time?

Did the landing and docking tutorial, almost foobered up cos controls wernt set properly mainly inverts and stuff and the whole roll (yaw) with the stick turn thingy.

Did it tho first try without crashing so thats somit eh lads. :D Tho i do admit landing was a bit of a pain as i saw a flashing yellow section and thought thats where i land so was trying to land there but i think it lined up right it never latched. So i looked at the hud mini map and the icon was futher away so i thought id look for it, took awhile as when looking in the direction i couldnt see the flashing but i eventually got to it and landed ok. Trying to go slow and manouver with the hat for latteral thrust up and down and left and right with forward being the throttle. I had problems when i went too far forward and couldnt reverse as the guide i followed for setting the controls up didnt include reverse lol and i set the throttle to full forward only which i guess i can try full range as in back and forward.

With max detail and fxaa i felt that it wasnt smooth as i would have hoped i dunno why as i have it on my rig see sig, and i have it on my m4 ssd as its small enough to fit on and all that. So the apparent lag in the screen felt weird. Any issues i should be aware of with any gfx setting that could cause this, would msaa or smaa be better?

Edit - got the headtracker going better tho i dont like how low i have to tilt my head to focus on the ui panels it would be nice if i can adjust somit so i dont lower my head that much, also i flipped somit in controls and now it moves nicer than before as it just moved to where i looked then waited for me to look down again till it moved back down, switching to i think direct helped a lot and i have exponential in edtracker at about 10 / 10 setting so far, i tried 14 and 16 but there a bit too quick i think. Dunno if it was drift or not but sometimes using edtracker i look up and then sometimes it stays that way and cant get back down to lookin forward so had to press f2 to reset it.

Did the cannistor tutorial and did them ok tho i dunno why next target wasnt working or next hostile ship with my hat switch, but killed the things anyhow. Did the next one where i fight a sidewinder, i couldnt see how much damage he was taking like a 100% hull or 1% hull etc just a 3d image that was red :/ Got him tho and suprised how much i could keep target on reticle for the beams as i thought id have far more trouble but i was ok. Over heat damn quick tho beams dont they. I managed to get target what was in front of me button to work but the target next hostile etc still dont work?

Liking it so far. Still dont like the lag i get tho i dunno where it is but i notice it. :( I have checked with fraps and its almost always constant 60fps and im not out of vram as gpuz says its about 1850mb used and doesnt seem to go up more than that when i dogfight with the ai on tutorial no 3. Just seems i dunno pop in lag or somit that looks "off". Not butter smooth and its not the fps or gpu load as that was hovering about 75 ish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom