*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I would absolutely love to contribute towards funding this as Elite is one of my all time favourite games. However, with no screenshots, video or even any concept art I'm struggling to justify putting my cash down. Doesn't look like there has been any work done so far at all to me :(

I couldnt articulate the reason why I didnt want to contribute, there was something stopping me and I think you put it succinctly.

Man of Honour
I couldnt articulate the reason why I didnt want to contribute, there was something stopping me and I think you put it succinctly.

I know exactly what you mean, however I've pledged more in support than in actually hoping they will produce the game I'd want to see. And if they actually pull it off I'll be pleasantly suprised.

Soldato
Can someone tell me this!

Is the Money taken now out your account or after the 60 days???? When the goal is either reached or not???

As we have seen with Dice and EA they simply wanted to have BF3 out as quick as they could and ended up with a game they should be ashamed off with all its bugs, and worse tried to con everyone to pay more through Downloadable content to finish the game.

So in essence I’m happy if the game was finished when it was ready and not rushed to meet a deadline that some office guy dreamed up to fit in a larger schedule.

Money pledged will only be taken from you account if the pledge goal is met/exceeded AND after the time expires.

So you have from today, 59 days before you will be charged. Providing that it meets its £1,250,000 goal (which it will do).

Associate
Are we sure its not a subscription based game, or one that needs more cash injection to get reasonable goodies and progress. I don't like to put dampers on this too early, but I would need to know before I contribute.

Soldato
I see no issues about this source of funding. I get a game, they get the money. They have total control over the game developement.

Well, so you hope.

As I understand it, you'd have no real comeback if they were to fart around for 7 years and never get round to releasing anything, Duke Nukem Forever style.

There was a Kickstarter project in the news recently where the dev team just walked out and the investors I think have only got their money back by the project lead digging into his own funds to pay them back.

Soldato
Well, so you hope.

As I understand it, you'd have no real comeback if they were to fart around for 7 years and never get round to releasing anything, Duke Nukem Forever style.

There was a Kickstarter project in the news recently where the dev team just walked out and the investors I think have only got their money back by the project lead digging into his own funds to pay them back.

This could be said for any kickstarter, didn't stop Obsidian getting over $4 million for Project Eternity. Don't see why Frontier Developments should be any different.

Soldato
This could be said for any kickstarter

Yes, it absolutely can.

It just struck me that the comment seemed as if he was under the impression he was effectively buying a game, which isn't technically the case, you're donating money with no guaranteed return when you back these things.

Don
Are we sure its not a subscription based game, or one that needs more cash injection to get reasonable goodies and progress. I don't like to put dampers on this too early, but I would need to know before I contribute.
It isn't an MMO so there won't (or at least shouldn't) be a subscription fee.

Edit: That might not be true - it might be set up so everyone is playing in the same world, but you control who you can "see" in the world and interact with.

Soldato
Woah. :eek: Elite reborn. My PC gaming world has turned upside down in 2012.

I'll throw some money at them. I just hope it's enough to reserve a docking computer (and a SETA).

One hopes the Eagle and Imperial Courier make it in to this version in some form. I loved those ships.

Soldato
Yes, it absolutely can.

It just struck me that the comment seemed as if he was under the impression he was effectively buying a game, which isn't technically the case, you're donating money with no guaranteed return when you back these things.

I know how it works. I have pledged to other Kickstarter projects in the past. I'm well aware of the system.

My coment was about how publishers can get in the way, and how things are better without the middle man :)

Soldato
heh

5000's sold out... just imagine how many 30/40 somethings got the get rich money making bug after perfecting their trading skills in elite.

You can imagine to many fans it's a mere drop:)

Love to know though if any of the many of the elite 4 wish lists got agknowledged by the father creator. People have been flooding the forums for years with them.

Soldato
Well, so you hope.

That project was for $20k, had one programmer after the 'developer' thought it could be done in a year, and when it wasn't the programmer had other stuff to do. That is not in the same league as a guy who has a company and has successfully delivered multiple games. A lot of the well-funded kickstarters have serious experience behind them.

But at the end of the day you can wait off and buy the full game once your happy. As a huge fan of the original Elite, i'm paying my £40 because I want to see this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom