**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Associate
The Tennessee commission, the influential regulatory body made official several changes, potentially changing the complexion of a ruleset considered to be the standard-bearer for regulators both in the U.S. and around the world.

Among the new rules, the ABC moved to standardize the outfits of female MMA fighters – eliminating “loose fitting clothing” that’s currently found in certain UFC uniforms – change the definition of a grounded fighter, allow heel strikes to the kidney, penalize fighters for outstretched fingers and remove grabbing the clavicle as a foul.

Randy Couture and Jeremy Horn

The grounded fighter policy now clarifies that earning that consideration, and the protection from kicks or knees to the head that it provides, now requires “any part of the body other than a single hand and feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands and feet, palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor.” Essentially, fighters now need to have both hands (or fists) on the canvas to be determined a “downed fighter” rather than “playing the game” with just one hand.

Additionally, the “extended fingers” update now allows referees to declare a foul if “a fighter that moves their arm(s) toward their opponent with an open hand, fingers pointing at the opponent’s face/eyes.” Randy Couture and Jeremy Horn

Fighters will be directed to “close their fists or point their fingers straight in the air when reaching toward their opponent.” The change was made in an effort to curtail problematic eye pokes in the sport.

Finally some decent rule changes :D It's just the stupid 10 point scoring system to get rid of now :D

Soldato
Finally some decent rule changes :D It's just the stupid 10 point scoring system to get rid of now :D

I'm liking the fact they're making it harder to game the system around the grounded fighter rules.

Although from the way that's been read does that mean that a fighter on one knee would not be considered grounded?

Associate
Out of interest, what would you prefer over the current 10 point scoring system?

I'm not saying I'm a fan myself, just wondered what the other options are??

The 10 point system works well in boxing but there's just too much variety for it to work well in MMA. I'd like to keep the point system but I think it would be better to increase the number of points. I'd give 8 points to each element of MMA i.e. stand-up, wrestling and jiu jitsu. The remaining points should be split between aggression and octagon control.

I'd also change the point system so if a fighter has a crap round they get a couple of points. A fighter can come out and do nothing and get 7 points - if they don't do anything they shouldn't get any points.

I'm liking the fact they're making it harder to game the system around the grounded fighter rules.

Although from the way that's been read does that mean that a fighter on one knee would not be considered grounded?

Agreed. I read it the same, I'm assuming if a fighter isn't actually on the ground i.e. on their back then they are not classed as a grounded fighter.

Soldato
The 10 point system works well in boxing but there's just too much variety for it to work well in MMA. I'd like to keep the point system but I think it would be better to increase the number of points. I'd give 8 points to each element of MMA i.e. stand-up, wrestling and jiu jitsu. The remaining points should be split between aggression and octagon control.

I'd also change the point system so if a fighter has a crap round they get a couple of points. A fighter can come out and do nothing and get 7 points - if they don't do anything they shouldn't get any points.

Interesting idea but I think it's harsh to give no points - you could have an occasion whereby a fighter goes all-out in a round and has to rest in the following round - MMA is as much about defence as it is offence so if your opponent can't put you away while you are recuperating then that's a good defensive strategy!

Personally I'd like to see rounds scored as a draw unless there was a definitive winner - too often there are razor-close rounds that the judges seem to think they have to award one way or the other - and that can lead to some very lopsided results!

I also think it would be interesting to see how fighters react if the scoring was announced after each round - just think how exciting the final round would be if you knew where you stood!

Soldato
Agreed. I read it the same, I'm assuming if a fighter isn't actually on the ground i.e. on their back then they are not classed as a grounded fighter.

I'm worried that opens up headkicks to a fighter on one knee - that could be devastating as it would be hard as heck to avoid and there is very little scope for movement to roll with it and take some of the force out of the kick. Could lead to some nasty knockouts.

Caporegime
It's looking like UFC 204 is going to be on PPV in the US and a 11:30pm preliminary card kick off over here. Which means a likely 2/3am start for the main card.

Not sure they've thought that through.... a bunch of blokes who like watching fighting, starting at 3am giving the opportunity for a full session before hand. Can only imagine the fighting that's going to go on in the stands.

Associate
Interesting idea but I think it's harsh to give no points - you could have an occasion whereby a fighter goes all-out in a round and has to rest in the following round - MMA is as much about defence as it is offence so if your opponent can't put you away while you are recuperating then that's a good defensive strategy!

Personally I'd like to see rounds scored as a draw unless there was a definitive winner - too often there are razor-close rounds that the judges seem to think they have to award one way or the other - and that can lead to some very lopsided results!

I also think it would be interesting to see how fighters react if the scoring was announced after each round - just think how exciting the final round would be if you knew where you stood!

Not to mention with what judges consider good ring generalship and not has made for many a wonky decision over the course of the sports lifetime. To add to that, if we stick with a 10 point system, 10-8 rounds need more liberal consideration.

Man of Honour
It's looking like UFC 204 is going to be on PPV in the US and a 11:30pm preliminary card kick off over here. Which means a likely 2/3am start for the main card.

Not sure they've thought that through.... a bunch of blokes who like watching fighting, starting at 3am giving the opportunity for a full session before hand. Can only imagine the fighting that's going to go on in the stands.

well, the UFC would want to get the most amount of revenue they can,
so its best for them that they have it at normal times in the US to get the best PPV figures,
so either BT signed a contract with them that didnt stipulate that home fights in the UK need to be in the evening our time, or the UFC found a loop hole that allowed them to show it later,
either way i think BT are at fault for allowing this to happen

Associate
Yeah a bit bummed out by the 204 airing news to be honest, countless times I work around the schedule of the UFC catering to the US which is fine but I figured we'd atleast get to see our first british champion at a reasonable time :(.

Associate
Jon Jones expects to be back in the octagon soon - from his instagram page. I'm guessing he's had the same issue as Yoel, he took a tainted supplement. I'm guessing a 6 month ban and he'll come back to headline the first event at Madison Square Garden :D

Back
Top Bottom