**** The Official Google Nexus 6P Thread ****

Soldato
You'll likely be waiting a month if they have to replace something - as I mentioned above they've got a global part shortage at the moment :(

Yeah sucks really. Phones are so vital these days (rightly or wrongly) it's not acceptable. If it was a garage you would have a replacement temp car. Mrs is using a £40 Asda one at the moment which I am sure you can imagine is pretty bad. I cant believe I have to consider having a spare decent handset these days :D

Soldato
Yeah sucks really. Phones are so vital these days (rightly or wrongly) it's not acceptable. If it was a garage you would have a replacement temp car. Mrs is using a £40 Asda one at the moment which I am sure you can imagine is pretty bad. I cant believe I have to consider having a spare decent handset these days :D

My 6P is my spare handset - I'm in a period at the moment where I just sold my iPhone 7 and waiting for a Pixel XL 2 :(

At the end of the conversation, the guy said he'd ring me on my mobile when he had any further updates. I politely reminded him that they've had it for the last 3 bloody months! :D

Soldato
My 6P is my spare handset - I'm in a period at the moment where I just sold my iPhone 7 and waiting for a Pixel XL 2 :(

At the end of the conversation, the guy said he'd ring me on my mobile when he had any further updates. I politely reminded him that they've had it for the last 3 bloody months! :D

Ha ha yeah. I am on the pixel XL and waiting for the pixel xl2 myself. The plan is to pass this down to Mrs and then do the same and keep the 6p as a back up.

Associate
I replaced my nexus 6P with a one plus 5 (Best move ever!). I've got my nexus 6P plugged in downstairs as my spare phone. My nexus 5 is still plugged in upstairs in the bedroom (my old spare phone), sittinng next to my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7.
If my one plus 5 breaks then I'd probably go to the nexus 4. Best phone I ever had.

The nexus 7 is just a brick now. I think I ruined it by updating to android 6??

Soldato
So google aren't as good as i first thought. Still no refund and when i ask about it they just say i will get an email confirmation when its processed. Nothing in my account about there even being a refund in process.

Soldato
So google aren't as good as i first thought. Still no refund and when i ask about it they just say i will get an email confirmation when its processed. Nothing in my account about there even being a refund in process.

Could be worse - could be with Huawei and being told that you can either wait a couple of months for new parts to arrive (already been fixing the phone since July) or wait a month while they source phones from Europe and replace it with those.

The whole 6P experience has been distasteful really. I'm quite nervous about my Pixel 2 XL. If anything goes wrong with it, I don't want to be waiting for months to get it repaired.

Soldato
I'm mostly gutted by the death of swap out batteries. I was hoping at least one or two phones would be available with a swap out battery, i'm quiet happy to keep a phone for many years but the batteries just don't cope much past 18-24 months. My next phone will likely be something 90% as fast but cheap so i can justify replacing it every 2 years or so. Im not interested in spending £700 every 2 years to get a phone thats 5% faster.

Soldato
Throw-away society. The want for waterproofing etc has forced the need to seal in batteries. I think sometimes companies need to take a stance rather than being money grabbers.

Could you imagine how many sales companies would lose out on? How many old phones do you see? I see so many old iPhones and old phones, where people don't want news ones, but the lack of removable battery necessitates one.

Associate
The nexus 7 is just a brick now. I think I ruined it by updating to android 6??

Gen 1 Nexus 7? Mother whiskycycle is still using her Gen 2 and I'm still trying to nick it back from her!

Got rid of my Gen 1 sharpish, as it definitely became the brick you describe.

Mrs whiskycycle currently has my old 6P as well, and other than me fitting the 5th glass screen protector, it's been fine! No clue on battery life now, as it hardly ever leaves her grasp and is close to a charger most of the time.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Just ordered a new battery, antenna cover, camera glass cover, Spigen case and screen protector.

Had my 6P nearly 2 years now and it's probably the best phone I've had, aside from this stupid battery issue.

For me the issue has only been apparent in my daily life recently so not too bad, however over the past year any sort of wind chill up a mountain killed it off. I'm wondering if there's any material I can use to wrap the battery but I guess space will be the losing factor.

Still, £40 a couple hours to refresh my phone is much better than an expensive contract or expensive new phone to me. I see now features of modern phones that benefit my life. Hopefully I don't break it, it still runs swiftly and should do me another 12 months at least.

Soldato
Just ordered a new battery, antenna cover, camera glass cover, Spigen case and screen protector.

Had my 6P nearly 2 years now and it's probably the best phone I've had, aside from this stupid battery issue.

For me the issue has only been apparent in my daily life recently so not too bad, however over the past year any sort of wind chill up a mountain killed it off. I'm wondering if there's any material I can use to wrap the battery but I guess space will be the losing factor.

Still, £40 a couple hours to refresh my phone is much better than an expensive contract or expensive new phone to me. I see now features of modern phones that benefit my life. Hopefully I don't break it, it still runs swiftly and should do me another 12 months at least.

I'm surprised the Snapdragon 810 isn't keeping it nice and warm :D

Mine developed horrendous screen burn - I could clearly see the navigation bar at all times, even when watching youtube videos on it etc.

Soldato

Any pointers for doing the battery change, i may give it ago.

Always this for just double the money.
https://repairaphone.co.uk/product/nexus-6p-battery-replacement-service/

Soldato
Any pointers for doing the battery change, i may give it ago.

Always this for just double the money.
https://repairaphone.co.uk/product/nexus-6p-battery-replacement-service/

Be extremely patient when prying the battery out. Don't allow the thing to bend too much and try and be gentle on it and take your time.

The hardest part for me was removing the screen from the housing. Be sure to have a good couple of guitar picks handy as you'll need them!

Getting the rear visor panel off is easy but I'd purchase a spare just incase.

Soldato
these bunch of jokers!

called up and asked when my 6p was coming back after a bootloop issue (3 weeks now) they said they have a parts shortage and might offer me a new one, but i am on a back log list! FFS!

Soldato
these bunch of jokers!

called up and asked when my 6p was coming back after a bootloop issue (3 weeks now) they said they have a parts shortage and might offer me a new one, but i am on a back log list! FFS!
They're looking to replace with Mate 9 (they got stock today) or P10 Plus.

The mate 9 is a European import (no UK plug) and gold only.

Associate
Though I'm eligible for an upgrade soon, I decided to utilise my warranty with Huawei to get my 6P battery repaired as I was getting the 30% shutdown issue.

I've borrowed a battered old S6 Edge Plus for the time being and I'm blown away by the battery life and overall performance of the device. I'd assumed that the battery was the only thing letting my 6P down but something must have really deteriorated over the near two years because the difference is night and day.

Soldato
At the end of my tether with Huawei. Had a chance to check out the Mate 9, and it's no where near as good as the 6P. So I said they have to provide a phone that's at least as good, and they've said I'll have to wait a month or longer for P10 Plus to come in.

Absolute joke.

Carphone warehouse (the place it was purchased from) don't want anything to do with it, and are saying "it's up to the manufacturer to do something. That's not the case from what I've read online.

Any advise?

Back
Top Bottom