**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Permabanned
With more than 4,000 posts and 200 thread pages on the Official Google Pixel 2 thread and with Google I/O 2018 a mere three weeks away and with rumours starting to mount about what Google plans for it Pixel 3 line of smartphones, believe it time to start speculating on what we want/expect Google to introduce.

I found this link to Tom's Guide a couple of days ago to be a useful starting point:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pixel-3-rumors,news-26647.html

A few highlights:

1. Google acquired the 2,000 strong HTC smartphone hardware team early this year and it is expected that this team, which brought out the HTC U11 while at HTC, will have significant hardware input in the Pixel 3 lineup. Will Google widen distribution and compete more aggressively against Apple and Samsung?

2. We could see certain iPhone features: Android P supports an iPhone X-like notch and may support iPhone like gestures.

3. A lower cost Pixel 3 is rumoured for emerging economies like India but may well be sold through budget carriers in other jurisdictions too.

4. Three new Pixel 3 devices are rumoured. The devices, which were discovered in a source-code leak last year, are code-named "crosshatch," "albacore" and "blueline."

5. The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL were launched on 19 October, just after the iPhone 8's in September. Will Google keep this schedule or move it up to an earlier date?

6. What changes will Google make to areas such as face scanning, edge to edge screens, camera performance, speakers, etc? Expect the Snapdragon 845 chip.

What would you like to see changed, modified, improved, etc?

Permabanned
OP
Really don't see the point in this thread right now.

To reflect what the Community here thinks would be desirable in the Pixel 3 range based on our shared experiences of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. If history is any guide, I expect a lot of hard info about Android P and the Pixel 3s to emerge from Google I/O that takes place in a fortnight.

Permabanned
OP
I appreciate I have been in the minority on this issue but I enjoy my Pixel Buds and use them constantly. Music and podcasts are enjoyable throughout the day when walking around, in between meetings, etc. I still believe the language translation feature of the Pixel Buds and the Google Translate app make the Pixel Buds unique.

I would not be surprised however if Google, reportedly making three versions of the Pixel 3, up their game on the Pixel Buds this year with noise cancellation, skippable tracks and a slightly smaller design all features. In the same way that they included a free Google Home Mini with this years purchase of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, might a Pixel Buds 2 be a free giveaway with this years high end Pixel 3?

And as String suggests above, I see changes to the screen design too.

Permabanned
OP
Forbes has an interesting take on what we can expect from the Pixel 3.

They expect AI to be at the core of the Pixel 3, much more so than how Assistant has been on say the Pixel 2. They believe the 3 will present you with your precise request before you have had a chance to think it out fully. Expect pictures, search, maps, battery and tasks will be led by predictive AI.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcg...3-strategy-suddenly-makes-sense/#eccc3e655d5e

Permabanned
OP
If Google, Samsung or whoever is developing a flagship phone they should come with flagship performance. Phone's in this price range will always get compared to the iPhone which are using the a11 custom ARM processor which are miles ahead what's on offer from a Android phone in most CPU benchmarks. Is there anyone outside of Qualcomm that sells high performance ARM CPU's or is a given that the Pixel 3 won't lay glove on a iPhone in terms of raw CPU capabilities?

Talking flagships, I have been quite happy with the 2 XL performance for £ 799 and the idea of paying between £ 1000 to £1150 for the iPhone X seems a bridge too far for many people. Hence the Pixel is the more sensible purchase.

Permabanned
OP
I don't mind the notch as you can hide it and does increase screen real estate.

I just need QI changing and excellent screen or its a deal breaker for a £1k device.

It could be, as this link suggests, that Google have mastered under-display technology because this rendering of the Pixel 3 has no front facing camera visible.

Could the Vivo Apex hold the key to the look and feel of the Pixel 3?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...one-specs-price-upgrade-release/#3d4eb3391fdf

Permabanned
OP
So according to Bloomberg some of the things we now know:

1. Foxconn (who make the iPhone) will be making the Pixel 3s. This is essentially because, in my opinion, the 2000 employees that Google acquired from HTC do not need Google to work through an OEM like Samsung or LG, etc. Google is essentially now working in house to design the Pixel 3s and assembling it through Foxconn. The screen may still be made by LG, according to rumours.

2. The 3XL will have a notch, but not as wide as the one on the iPhone X.

3. The Pixel 3 XL will also feature a nearly edge-to-edge display with minimal bezels, except at the bottom.

4. The Pixel 3 will continue to utilize a single rear camera lens, while all of the competition has long since moved to multiple lenses.

5. Expect the new Pixels to ship in October. In the US, they will continue to be Verizon exclusives.

Permabanned
OP
Notch isn't as wide but it drips further into the screen than the iPhones

Yes it is taller.

There are still a number of questions we do not know, some of which I list below:

1. Why have two cameras in the front but only one in the back. Will the front camera be used for some type of face-ID biometric system?
2. Will the fingerprint reader continue on the back or will it use an in-screen fingerprint reader?
3. Google designed Pixel Visual Core, the system on a chip for the camera. Will they introduce some further, new custom silicon on the Pixel 3s?

Permabanned
OP
OnLeaks took to Twitter to say his sources are telling him that the new Pixel 3s will be slightly larger than the Pixel 2s. Quoting from his tweet:

"
According to my sources:
Pixel 3 ≃ 5.3-inch (no notch)
Pixel 3XL ≃ 6.2-inch (notch)"

The Pixel 2 had a 5 inch display and the Pixel 2 XL had a 6 inch display. With both new Pixel 3s apparently having a slimmer bezels, I would have expected a larger display screen, esp with the 3XL having the notch.

However I did notice another thread here with some concerned that they do not wish to have any smartphone display much bigger than 6 inches.

Hence the display screen trade-off between slightly bigger and much bigger?

Permabanned
OP
Anyways............................back on topic!

I for one can't wait to see the bezel-less PXL3 ... They do need to sort the screen issues out though.....

Wireless charging perhaps?

Yes, seems wireless charging a possibility as they are moving away from a metal back to a glass back. Trade-off I guess is between greater fragility vs possible wireless charging. I did not see a headphone jack on the sides so assume I will be continuing to use my Pixel Buds. :p

Permabanned
OP
Two features of the Pixel 3's appear confirmed via XDA and in this Forbes link:

1. Active Edge.
2. Wireless charging

While I use voice usually to activate my phone for most Google Assistant activities when out and about, I find there are times when Active Edge is really useful. Others agree?

Google has not had wireless charging since dropping it with the Nexus 6P but now it appears to be back. The back of the 3's are expected to be glass which will facilitate wireless charging. Code has been found for wireless docks. I like the flexibility wireless charging gives me.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ign-price-release-date-features/#783997d62ffd

Permabanned
OP
Engadget reporting that when the Pixel 3 range launches it might include a special wireless charging dock. The dock might be the Pixel Stand referred to in the lastest version of Google App Beta, which with your permission could operate as a trusted dock.

If enabled, you would be able to summon Google Assistant even if the phone is locked.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/28/google-pixel-stand/

According to Android Authority:

"Up to this point, we knew Google was working on a new “dreamliner” category that would allow various companies to produce wireless chargers that would include unknown features. These mentions of the Pixel Stand are our first clues that Google will also be making a dock to compete in this product category. Based on the Pixel Stand name, there’s reason to believe that the accessory will be compatible with the upcoming Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL."

https://www.androidauthority.com/pixel-stand-wireless-charging-dock-890321/

They suggest that it could replace the need for a smart speaker in some instances.

Permabanned
OP
I accept that there is a lot of controversy and unhappiness about both the notch and chin on the Pixel 3 XL, per the leaked video. I am certainly not defending the design and how it detracts from the aesthetics.

But did I miss any discussion on what advantages it might bring, if any?

A better way to get two good speakers than in the past?

Or, for example, could it be a better way to provide really accurate Face ID?

Leaving aside all the negativity on the design, any advantages?

Back
Top Bottom