Fender DG16E-12

Martin D-28

Fender Custom Shop '64 Stratocaster - Sea Foam Green

Danelectro DC-59 Pro

Danelectro DC 59 Pro 12

Gibson USA '61 SG Standard

Gibson USA ES-330 Historical Sunburst

Gibson USA ES-335 Cherry.

The only things missing, a 1977 Fender Stratocaster in walnut brown, at a guitar shop for sale, and a '64 AVRI Telecaster in Olympic White and Martin 0018 both of which are at my girlfriend's house.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it a Custom Shop then?

Oh, sorry. Yes, it is indeed. Is the only guitar that I've picked up and after the first chord strummed I've gone "I want it". It is very light and I could feel the guitar vibrating through to my stomach and chest when playing it in the shop. The funny thing is, I went to London looking for a Gibson SG and came away with a Stratocaster :D

Caporegime
Oh, sorry. Yes, it is indeed. Is the only guitar that I've picked up and after the first chord strummed I've gone "I want it". It is very light and I could feel the guitar vibrating through to my stomach and chest when playing it in the shop. The funny thing is, I went to London looking for a Gibson SG and came away with a Stratocaster :D

I think I have totally come around too, since I got the Strat I think it is just the best design. It feels comfortable, it's light, it sounds good, it is versatile, it's just fantastic.

ncDsMXE.jpg

p2I8ChL.jpg

DcGWI1a.jpg

Caporegime
Soldato
I am such a noob. I bought a new guitar and it arrived today, unbox and immediately try to tune it but nothing is happening.
A quick google and i realise its a lot more complicated due to it having a Floyd rose bridge. For an instrument costing this much it wouldn't hurt if they would chuck in some instructions right?

I did know it had a floyd rose bridge which i read could be tricky for string changing but i didn't realize it would be tricky to tune it as well. It is a lovely guitar though, can't wait to get it set up.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-ltd-m-400-solid-fade/923873

Soldato
I am such a noob. I bought a new guitar and it arrived today, unbox and immediately try to tune it but nothing is happening.
A quick google and i realise its a lot more complicated due to it having a Floyd rose bridge. For an instrument costing this much it wouldn't hurt if they would chuck in some instructions right?

I did know it had a floyd rose bridge which i read could be tricky for string changing but i didn't realize it would be tricky to tune it as well. It is a lovely guitar though, can't wait to get it set up.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-ltd-m-400-solid-fade/923873

It has a locking nut. You need to loosen with an allen key then tune. The tuners on the bridge are good for micro adjustments once you lock the nut back in.

Soldato
The sequence you tune the strings in helps too....think it’s from the outside in... so low. E, then high E, A, B, G, D

OR it could be from the inside out...so the opposite order!

e: was thinking of this vid... https://youtu.be/-juyFAG1f4I
About 6 min mark he talks about the order

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly I would send it back... I made the exact same mistake years ago, stuck with it and in the end I hate the bridge so much. It's a pain to tune, a pain to switch tunings, everything about it totally sucks and is not worth what you gain from having a floyd. I would have sold mine on but the headstock got snapped in an accident so it's worthless now. Still plays okay but I have screwed blocks of wood into the trem cavity to convert it to a hardtail...

Soldato
It has a locking nut. You need to loosen with an allen key then tune. The tuners on the bridge are good for micro adjustments once you lock the nut back in.
The sequence you tune the strings in helps too....think it’s from the outside in... so low. E, then high E, A, B, G, D

OR it could be from the inside out...so the opposite order!

e: was thinking of this vid... https://youtu.be/-juyFAG1f4I
About 6 min mark he talks about the order

Cheers guys, i got it tuned eventually.

Honestly I would send it back... I made the exact same mistake years ago, stuck with it and in the end I hate the bridge so much. It's a pain to tune, a pain to switch tunings, everything about it totally sucks and is not worth what you gain from having a floyd. I would have sold mine on but the headstock got snapped in an accident so it's worthless now. Still plays okay but I have screwed blocks of wood into the trem cavity to convert it to a hardtail...

well isn't one of the advantages is that it stays in tune?
I have another guitar for messing around in other turnings.

Soldato
well isn't one of the advantages is that it stays in tune?
I have another guitar for messing around in other turnings.

One of the advantages is that it stays in tune when you're doing extreme stuff with the bar... It's not as if regular guitars go out of tune constantly (if they are looked after and setup nicely). Like anything much of it is preference and if you can put up with the hassle of tuning it and enjoy going crazy with the whammy dives and whatnot then more power to you, absolutely! For me it made me eventually resent the guitar and not play it much. It certainly helps to have other guitars but especially on a guitar for heavier music even not being able to drop-tune the low string irritates me - what if I want to switch between playing Metallica and playing Tool regularly?

But in the spirit of being more positive instead of just whinging... if it does ever start to irritate you, there's a device you can get called a "Tremel-NO" which fits into the spring cavity and allows you to switch the bridge between locked, floating and dive-only - so you can have one tuning which you float with and lock it down for others. I'd probably have got one of those myself if they existed back when I instead decided to DIY a solution myself :)

Soldato
I remember early Eggles used to ship with a wilkinson locking trem, so it was a floating vintage trem but with a notch at the flat point so you could use it like a hardtail normally and it only engaged as a trem when you pressed/pulled the arm. I never really got to play with it but I still wonder about changing the trem on my pacifica to see if makes a difference. Anyone tried one? Are they any good?

Back
Top Bottom