Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has Apple Silicon, lots of ports and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
ROG Strix Arion M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure-USB3.2 GEN2 Type-C
Samsung 990 PRO 2TB PCIe 4.0 (up to 7450 MB/s) NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

wxoqdhq.png

That's not right, surely?

ROG Strix Arion M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure-USB3.2 GEN2 Type-C
Samsung 990 PRO 2TB PCIe 4.0 (up to 7450 MB/s) NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

wxoqdhq.png

That's not right, surely?
Seems about right from the Techpowerup review.
Performance was right where you would expect it for a 10 Gbps USB-C enclosure. The rule of thumb is that it will max out at 1 GB/s, which all modern NVMe drives should be able to give you.
You’d want something that supports Thunderbolt 4 to get the faster speeds out of that drive.

Last edited:
Swapped the enclosure. That one wasn't fast enough.

2HuMlRI.jpeg

S5R4GTC.jpeg

That's better.

s5kfhTt.png

Code:
Start time:               4 Aug 2023 at 13:04:31 BST
Elapsed time:             15m 44s
Data copied:              1.24 TB
Total data in file set:   1.24 TB
Files copied:             1452559

I finally got around to ordering an external Blu-ray drive so I can rip my CD collection and also watch some films in the background when I am doing something else. Does anyone know what the best Blu-ray software is for video playback on the mac?

May I enquire to which Blu-ray drive you went for? Don't suppose it supports 4K UHD discs? If so I'd be interested in s/w that can play them back to.

May I enquire to which Blu-ray drive you went for? Don't suppose it supports 4K UHD discs? If so I'd be interested in s/w that can play them back to.
I got this: ASUS SBW-06D2X-U

One of the reviews said it supports 4k after a firmware update but not sure I'll be able to do that on a Mac.

Edit: It is due to arrive on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Out of interest, what makes it better than VLC? I don’t think I’ve ever found anything that VLC won’t play and I love the volume control being on an up and down swipe on the trackpad.
When I got my Macbook I went stright for VLC as I have always used it. When I did it was buggy as hell, random crashes, audio sync issues etc. Might be fixed now but I love iina now.

Oh that’s odd. I’ve been using it on Macs since, well, since shortly after I got a Mac. I started off with Perian and flip4mac (anyone remember them?) but it replaced them both.

Never had the issues you describe.

But I’ll give iina a try, always open for new things :)

https://iina.io/ is a better option than VLC for Mac. As Feek said, not sure on Blue-ray support
See, i've had issues with some HDR content under IINA. But i've also had VLC refuse to play some media under MacOS; i find VLC seems a bit better on other platforms.

@Cromulent - Personally, i would look at Infuse as it gives me the least issues and i find the picture (contrast, saturation etc) is a tad better although, to get the most out of it you'll want the Pro licence which is $75 (for a lifetime, or £10p/y).
Alternatively, you could look at Movist or Elmedia Player although i've never really delved into these players too much.

See, i've had issues with some HDR content under IINA. But i've also had VLC refuse to play some media under MacOS; i find VLC seems a bit better on other platforms.

@Cromulent - Personally, i would look at Infuse as it gives me the least issues and i find the picture (contrast, saturation etc) is a tad better although, to get the most out of it you'll want the Pro licence which is $75 (for a lifetime, or £10p/y).
Alternatively, you could look at Movist or Elmedia Player although i've never really delved into these players too much.
Hmm. Slightly confused. Does Infuse play disc back directly or do I need to rip them and then play the ripped file?

Back
Top Bottom