The Official Prometheus (Alien Prequel) Thread

Soldato
It's been up in the air for ages now but it seems as though Ridley Scott is definately going to be in the directors chair for a new Alien movie. It's not going to be a restart/reboot which hollywood is so fond of these days, it's an honest to goodness prequel to the first movie.

I for one am over the moon with this, with a director of Scott's calibre in charge this could actually work.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/16935

Just a little extra information on this...

Official Synopsis

"In the distant future, two superpowers control Earth and fight each other for all the solar system's natural resources. When one side dispatches a team to a distant planet to terraform it for human colonization, the team discovers an indigenous race of bio-mechanoid killers.

Ridley Scott, director of 'Alien' and 'Blade Runner,' returns to the genre he helped define. With PROMETHEUS, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

Genre: Science Fiction
Director: Ridley Scott
Cast: Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace
Release Date: June 8, 2012"

Unofficial Synopsis

"The story takes place in the distant future. There are two superpowers on Earth fighting each other for what's left of the remaining natural resources spread out across the solar system. One of these superpowers have created and sent a giant terraforming ship to a distant planet called Erix. Their hope is to take this living world and reshape it so that humans can live there. This enormous terraforming spacecraft lands on Erix, a harsh and uninhabitable planet where it dispenses six smaller mobile units called Crawlers which spread across 125 kilometers of the planet and sow seeds which then terraform the planet. And the name of this terraforming spaceship is..."Prometheus." The severity of Erix's indigenous life is notable which are essentially referred to as bio-mechanoid killers."

OFFICIAL HD TRAILER:

OFFICIAL FULL HD TRAILER

INTERNATIONAL LAUNCH TRAILER

IMBD Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I wonder if it will come out before "The Thing" prequel.

What...for real...why?

The new Alien prequel and Predators (3) I understand, they have a massive following and new movies are in demand, but surely The Thing isn't that popular these days. It's a classic movie, watched it again the other week, but don't think it really needs a prequel.

No doubt someone will say Alien doesn't need a prequel...all i'll say to that is, i'd rather have another poor Alien movie than no Alien movie at all.

I slated AVP and AVP:R but deep down i'm glad they got made. Watched them numerous times and although i'll poke holes in them all the way through, I do enjoy them.

Soldato
OP
What plot elements could possibly make sense in an Alien prequel? Mind you, what made sense about AVP 1&2!!

I'm guessing maybe going into the derelict story on Lv426, how/why it got there perhaps. Scott has repeatedly mentioned an Alien homeworld idea, seeing them in a natural environment, however Predators is going to be based on the homeworld so would be too similar.

There are many avenues this movie could go down, I hope it will be standalone and have no links to any other movie aside from the Alien itself. I think he also said in a recent interview that this new movie will be about a single Alien.

Soldato
OP
What do you mean? Why do another The Thing or why before Alien.

LOL...I meant why do another :)

I've heard it could be the Norweigans story but I'm not convinced filming will start (as I'm not convinced Alien 5 and Pred 3 will actually make it to screen) these are just rumours and scripts being thrown around.

I've been hearing rumours of the norwegians story for the last 8 years or so, didn't think they'd actually progressed into writing a script for this or putting it into pre-production.

Directors make a huge difference to a film. You can pretty much tell a Scott film even if you don't know its one of his. Similarly if the camera is moving far too fast, the scenes cut every few seconds and the camera appears constantly pointing in the wrong direction and theres no sense of distance and time then odds on its Michael Bay.

As someone else said, with Scott in charge this film will at the very least be decent, he simply wouldn't let a film he's not happy with be released.

Soldato
OP
I would assume the story would be that Weyland Yutani sent a ship to investigate before the Nostromo with similar shennanigans.

I have a feeling they'll cut out WY completely and have some kind of isolated incident, on maybe a colony, planet, ship somewhere at the backend of space. Get a feeling from all the interviews i've read about the Alien prequel with scott that he wants to do a standalone movie that doesn't tie in with much of the other films.

Soldato
OP
It doesn't have the beat the original, just needs to be good...nothing will ever beat an original in a movie series, except maybe godfather 2 and empire strikes back, but that's for another thread ;)

Soldato
OP
It was way ahead of its time and still hasn't aged or looks out of date bearing in mind it's 30 years since it was made.

I almost agree, but the computer screens and mother is cringeworthy...aside from that, still looks awesome. Oh yeah, one more gripe, when they first see the derelict, it's so blatant it's a matte painted background I almost want to cry :)

Soldato
OP
Isnt the AvP film a rip of the AvP comic where the Preds lands Alien eggs on a world that they don't realise the humans are colonising and theres the girl that befriends one of the preds. He even marks her with Alien blood.

To be pedantic...not at all. The scene in predator 2 with the alien skull on the ship pre-dates the first AVP comics, that's when all the buzz and hype about a future AVP movie started. There is very very little similarity between the first AVP series and the AVP movie apart from the girl being black. As for the blood marking ritual, this is repeated throughout the AVP series with various other characters.

I bought the Aliens Omnibus 5 & 6 in my local forbidden planet a few weks back at £22 a pop, planning on getting the rest as well as the Predator omnibus' and the AVP ombnibus', gonna cost a fair amount but ultimately worth it I reckon. Can't wait to read through all these again, especially Aliens Book One and the Earth War saga.

If they wanted to do an epic AVP movie, they should adapt Deadliest of the Species, this was so well written it really stands out from the rest of the comics.

The screens and the derelict I agree with but you don't like mother?

Not the voices...just the tired drawn out security procedure of getting into the mother capsule and then the tiny little screen, blinking lights and that keyboard she hammers away on, he he. Also the fact Ash sneaks in behind her without making a sound despite the loud noise the door makes when she both enters and leaves the pod.

Soldato
OP
Thats how they start yes.

Another storyline has the USCM launching an expedition to what they think is the Alien home world where different species of the alien are at war.

I cant remember whether that is part of a storyline where somehow someone is smuggling Alien royal jelly onto earth where its being used as a drug.

Aliens: Genocide, the drug's called Xenozip...i'm so sad, lol

Soldato
OP
That was a robot alien if i remember right, it was also used to train the dudes lab assistant.
As far as I remember he also needed "Alien juice" to hold back some disease or other.

Aliens: Stronghold...i'm still sad ;)

EDIT: Nope, i'm wrong, but stronghold does have a robot alien, can't for the life of me remember this series. The scientist has cancer and needs the royal jelly to prevent the spread.

Soldato
OP
A little more information on this for you guys...

"Ridley Scott has finally spoken about the upcoming Alien prequel for the first time in an interview with Empire. The article implies that they won't revisit LV-426 or the space jockeys in the prequel. The story will take place about 30 years before Alien, however.

Since the prequel was announced, it’s been assumed that it would tell the story of how those nasty, slavering xenomorphs came to land on LV-426 in the first place. But after listening to Sir Ridley, suddenly we’re not so sure…

“It’s a brand new box of tricks,” said Sir Ridley. “We know what the road map is, and the screenplay is now being put on paper. The prequel will be a while ago. It’s very difficult to put a year on Alien, but [for example] if Alien was towards the end of this century, then the prequel story will take place thirty years prior.”

Interesting. And damned intriguing, to boot. Presumably, rather than make a film about how those massive elephantine aliens (remember the giant pilot with his chest blown outwards in Sir Ridley’s original?) were decimated by the acid-blooded beasts, Sir Ridley and his writer, Jon Spaihts, have decided to reboot the story in an attempt to give it a human focus.

“I never thought I’d look forward to a sequel,” said Sir Ridley. “But a prequel is kind of interesting. I’m looking forward to doing that.”

Source: http://www.avpgalaxy.net

Soldato
OP
More information has come to light about the new Alien prequel/reboot.

Highlights...

"It's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair."

"MTV: And is the Weyland-Yutani company in existence at this point?

Scott: It's Weyland. Weyland hasn't joined Yutani yet, so they go and see Weyland. [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming — taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life.

...however this part makes me quite sad...

"We asked him if he was going to considering shooting it in 3D, since most event movies at least have that conversation now. "Of course," he replied. "It will be in 3D."

Unless it's 3D to the standard of Avatar - completely and totally immersive, this could destroy the movie for me!

More information on this can be found here and here...

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1637638/story.jhtml

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12...s-about-the-alien-prequels-and-shooting-in-3d

Soldato
OP
A little bit more info:

A quick news brief to go along with the massive Alien prequel report posted here last week. Website Collider caught up with Ridley Scott at a recent junket for Robin Hood where he revealed that the forthcoming prequel will in fact be in 3D. "Of course, it’ll be 3D," he stated also declaring that he doesn't see a difference between shooting in 3-D and post-converting (something I find very concerning). On another note, while Scott is already taking a trip back to the franchise he created back in '79, he's looking to do it more than once! "It’ll be two. It’ll be prequel one and two. Then Alien 1," he tells the site explaining right now he's focused on the first.

The part i've highlighted in yellow really worries me :(

Source: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/19959

Back
Top Bottom