** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Man of Honour
OP
Back to earth with a bump:

589478main201109160001h.jpg

The Soyuz TMA-21 spacecraft with Expedition 28 crew landed safely this morning in Kazakhstan. 

Associate
Back to earth with a bump:

Its an intresting way to land after re-entry isnt it lol.
I think i read somewhere ages ago its the like a 20mph car crash? is that right?
They fire rocket thrusters just before impact to slow the module dont they.

Anyhow, glad they got back ok! I love the ott ceremonys that occur before and after a mission. Go Russia!/Kazakstan!

Em

Soldato
Great picture of the landing that, but they must have been right on the dot for it to be taken. I was talking to somebody on another forum (far more knowledgeable than i) last night and they raised an interesting point, thought i should share:

"Probably the most interesting thing to me about the Russian space program versus the American program, is the fact that basically the Russian program was based on a COMPETITION between various industrial design bureaus vying to "win the nod" of the "gov't space agency". The US program, by contrast, was structured around a SINGLE, MONOLITHIC gov't owned/operated design bureau that then assigns various contractors to construct what they've designed and prototyped, with the contractors having little input into the process... IOW, nearly EXACT OPPOSITES of the structures of the "command economy" the Soviet program served (with it's competing design bureaus) versus the US's "free capitalist economy" running it's program as a HIGHLY CENTRALIZED GOV'T DESIGN BUREAU assigning production to various "tractor factories"."

Oh, and:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...tter-than-your-fancy-food-photography/245226/

Last edited:
Soldato
Ha, it's like landing on a alien planet:

Aleksandr looks a bit worse for wear, but it's to be expected - i'd be very surprised if they all didn't adapt back in very little time. I mean, Ron on the other hand looks like he's never been away :D

Man of Honour
OP
Aleksandr looks a bit worse for wear, but it's to be expected - i'd be very surprised if they all didn't adapt back in very little time. I mean, Ron on the other hand looks like he's never been away :D

Got to love those Kazakh space armchairs and hats. Could be the start of the next big fashion trend. :D

Back
Top Bottom