** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Soldato
Now the 2 week long wait for everything to unfurl itself, calibrate the mirror/sensors etc before it actually starts to work fully, it should be really interesting and I can't wait to see what happens.

Man of Honour
OP
That was amazing and congratulations to all involved in the project. :)

Job still not completed and what comes next:

Associate
Caporegime
Crazy to think this telescope will orbit at a distance of nearly 4 times that of the moon. Insane.

Yeah I didn't realise its. So sensitive it has to be that far out!

Unbelievable its replacing hubble. 31 years! What a wonder of the modern the modern age hubble is. Really hope James Webb is a success. Going to be fascinating what it uncovers!

Soldato

Unbelievable its replacing hubble. 31 years! What a wonder of the modern the modern age hubble is. Really hope James Webb is a success. Going to be fascinating what it uncovers!

It's not really replacing Hubble, it operates in an entirely different wavelength and has a specific mission. Will only last 5-10 years.

The replacement you are thinking of is the Nancy Grace telescope. Will also orbit L2, but should be easier to launch as it's much smaller, and will have the same imaging capability of Hubble but be capable of 100x the FoV Hubble currently has - means it is much faster to image.

Should launch 2027.

Man of Honour
And now the long 6 months begins before we get the first real photo taken of a test object out there for focusing the lenses and mirror tiles calibration :cool:

one of the NASA engineers was quoted as saying JWST is so sensitive that it could see a car numberplate on the surface of the moon from L2.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

This is just one of the reasons why it sits in L2, the other major reason is that the L2 point has an almost natural orbit so the telescope's onboard thrusters only need to do minimal work every so often to keep it in that orbit. It's all thanks to the gravitational pull from how the inner bodies in the solar system play on objects sitting in these L points. Essentially it's there because it conserves the most fuel and as such gives a 10 year service life.

Back
Top Bottom