** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Soldato
Has SpaceX been cleared for a second launch or are they still waiting on all that to get signed-off?
Just seems quite a quick turnaround for the FAA given the issues from the last launch back in April.

If it does launch soon then fingers crossed for first stage separation. Making orbit, even (V)LEO, would be pretty special for their second flight.

A 50% chance 50% of it makes it 50% of the way to orbit…
anchorman-60.gif

Soldato
I think SpaceX have said they’re preparing for a Friday 17th November for a launch. Warnings for mariners have already been issued for the Gulf of Mexico and near Hawaii (sp?). So it seems fairly likely to be soon.

Soldato
I really hope the risk assessments have actually been properly carried out this time. How SpaceX were allowed to do the environmental one is a disgrace. The state should be carrying it out and any costs then passed on to the company. I know they were being sued, I imagine that is tied up in the court system atm.

Transmission breaker
Don
I really hope the risk assessments have actually been properly carried out this time. How SpaceX were allowed to do the environmental one is a disgrace. The state should be carrying it out and any costs then passed on to the company. I know they were being sued, I imagine that is tied up in the court system atm.
Wasn't the environmental report/assessment done under the supervision of the FAA though?

Last edited:
Soldato
Wasn't the environmental report/assessment done under the supervision of the FAA though?

Sounds like they caved to SpaceX.

It was madness to allow them to build this there when its surrounded by protected wildlife lands.

The FAA's chief of staff for the Office of Commercial Space Transportation had stated in a June 2020 email that the agency planned to conduct an EIS, but the FAA "subsequently deferred to SpaceX" and performed a less rigorous review instead, according to the lawsuit.

Hmm my understanding is concrete dust isn't in any way healthy

Musk, the billionaire founder and chief executive of the California-based company, addressed criticism from environmentalists in remarks during an event on Saturday, saying the debris scattered by last month's launch amounted to "a human-made sandstorm."

"It's not toxic at all or anything," he said. "It did scatter a lot of dust, but to the best of our knowledge, there has not been any meaningful damage to the environment that we're aware of."

SpaceX had vigorously opposed subjecting its Starbase to an EIS review, a process that typically takes years. An EIS involves extensive analysis of the project at stake and alternatives, along with mitigation plans to curb or offset harmful impacts. It also entails public review and comment and often re-evaluation and supplemental study.

The FAA granted its license following a far less thorough environmental assessment and a finding that SpaceX activities at Boca Chica pose "no significant impact" on the environment. The lawsuit challenges that finding as a violation of the National Environmental Policy Act, contending that the assessment and mitigation measures incorporated into the license fall short of the law's requirements.

Soldato
Yup.

Sounds like they caved to SpaceX.

It was madness to allow them to build this there when its surrounded by protected wildlife lands.
So you keep saying over and over again, but it doesn't really seem to be a problem.

There's a more in-depth discussion over at NSF regarding the lawsuit, which will probably go nowhere: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=58787.0

Ultimately they have to build and test somewhere, and some NIMBY group will always complain.

Soldato
Yup.

So you keep saying over and over again, but it doesn't really seem to be a problem.

There's a more in-depth discussion over at NSF regarding the lawsuit, which will probably go nowhere: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=58787.0

Ultimately they have to build and test somewhere, and some NIMBY group will always complain.

Doing it right next to protected wildlife reserve doesn't strike you as just a bit irresponsible? Of all the places on the US West/South coast they could choose they chose that place.

Soldato
Doing it right next to protected wildlife reserve doesn't strike you as just a bit irresponsible? Of all the places on the US West/South coast they could choose they chose that place.
They have done the right thing. Also, that location was chosen because it's remote and the flight path doesn't cause issues with oil rigs. It's difficult to test the worlds most powerful rocket anywhere but there.

Soldato
Doing it right next to protected wildlife reserve doesn't strike you as just a bit irresponsible?
Perhaps but SpaceX has been given the go ahead by the required agencies and it's them they, unfortunately, need to please.
Not meant as a whataboutism but, KSC has similar issues with the wildlife refuge that borders its complex and not a lot is really said about that, even during the shuttle era where launches would regularly contaminate the refuge area.

Of all the places on the US West/South coast they could choose they chose that place.
As @Longbow mentions, the remoteness of Boca Chica and clear flight path massively helps lessen any issues with regards to safety in the event of a 'RUD' and there aren't a huge number of places on the east coast that offers that.

Edit - You could retrograde on the west coast but again, not many places you could do the same sort of R&D plus retrograde has it's issues.

Last edited:
Associate
Back
Top Bottom