** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Man of Honour
OP
This makes up for the two scrubbed launches:

rbspatlasv.jpg

The weather is not looking too promising for the next few days as tropical storm Isaac is developing in eastern Caribbean. I expect that the launch will be postponed for a few days.

Man of Honour
OP
How long can the liquid fuel be stored for? Or do they have to pump it all out and refill tomorrow?

Brilliant picture as well.

The tanks are not designed for long term cryogenic fuel storage. De-tanking occurs immediately after scrub in order to make the rocket and launch pad safe. The rocket will be re-fuelled just before its next launch attempt.

Soldato
Beautiful piece on Curiosity

7 years of your life dedicated to one project, I can understand why the dude is shivering with nerves!

Damn onions!

In other news...
I put up my thumb ... and my thumb blotted out ... Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small." Neil Armstrong 1930-2012

:(

What is even sadder is this..
armstrong-1.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
681054mainpia16105full1.jpg

Layers at the Base of Mount Sharp

A chapter of the layered geological history of Mars is laid bare in this postcard from NASA's Curiosity rover. The image shows the base of Mount Sharp, the rover's eventual science destination.

This image is a portion of a larger image taken by Curiosity's 100-millimeter Mast Camera on Aug. 23, 2012. See PIA16104. Scientists enhanced the color in one version to show the Martian scene under the lighting conditions we have on Earth, which helps in analyzing the terrain.

For scale, an annotated version of the figure highlights a dark rock that is approximately the same size as Curiosity. The pointy mound in the center of the image, looming above the rover-sized rock, is about 1,000 feet (300 meters) across and 300 feet (100 meters) high.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Because Will I Am is actually a very pro Science and has done a considerable amount for educating kids in the USA and building schools promoting Science, Math, Engineering etc.

Sadly though, a lot of people will only see up to the autotuned music and nothing else beyond.

Soldato
Because Will I Am is actually a very pro Science and has done a considerable amount for educating kids in the USA and building schools promoting Science, Math, Engineering etc.

Sadly though, a lot of people will only see up to the autotuned music and nothing else beyond.

I agree he is to be commended for that and I actually saw the footage of him visiting JPL. No arguments with that.

But I really feel they should have left out broadcasting his music from the rover. Im sures theres many other artists who also promote science. Its given this one a massive sales boost no doubt. I feel these things should be kept out of missions like this but thats just me.

Back
Top Bottom