*** The 'official' sports fishing thread ***

J.T

J.T

Soldato
I mostly fish rivers (Kennet/Great Ouse/Wey/Itchen among others) but also fish some lakes to.

I'm a bit of a traditional angler as I pretty much only use vintage or vintage style (cane rods and so on) tackle though I have been known to use the odd hair rig here and there LOL. :)

I love catching all species though I do have a particular fondness for carp/crucians/chub/barbel though I have yet to catch a barbel which is why Im on the Kennet this Friday in search of some!

Associate
I'm not a huge fan of the easy lakes but my mate who's a match fisherman loves them for whatever reason.

Best lake near me is a place called Trefaldu. Good fishing, plenty of fish there of all types and some days you'll struggle to catch anything, which of course makes it more rewarding when you do.

http://www.trefaldufishery.co.uk/

You say the features look nice in Redhill but they were basically big holes in the ground 6-7 years ago. Really new fishery but gaining a lot of popularity

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Anyone out this coming weekend then?

I'm off to the Kennet tomorrow (Friday) in search of chub and barbel.

Tight lines to anyone that’s getting out. :)

Permabanned
OP
I won't be, too busy shopping so got to give it a miss. Mind you it's really nice mild wether up here North. Ambient temperature to bring on the deep divers.

The rivers might be up a little might be floods in certain areas...

Tight lines!

FTM

FTM

Soldato
coarse fishing isnt as widespread up here, mainly because the native coarse species are not as prevalent..only the lower reaches of the large rivers contain any coarse fish and even then its a much reduced number of species

most stillwater fishing is in the large reservoirs up here where the environment is much better suited to trout. Hury and Derwent reservoirs have a head of Roach, but they are not the primary angling species that people are after..but they will take a fly and add to the interest on a days fishing

I was down in Reading recently and catch an release trout fishing seems to be the exception in the south where its the norm up here..however cemex seems to have loads of coarse fishing lakes in the area..maybe trout fishing is seen as more 'elitist' or exclusive in the south, where water for leisure use may be more of a premium

its also a damn sight cheaper up here!

there are small private lakes for coarse fishers..but they are very few

I am in the North west Durham angling association who lease 2 reservoirs for brown trout fishing from northumbrian water..Waskerley reservoir in particular is a fantastic, quiet place. Dark peated water..as close to a scottish hill loch as you can get in england.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone out this coming weekend then?

I'm off to the Kennet tomorrow (Friday) in search of chub and barbel.

Tight lines to anyone that’s getting out. :)

I might be off to that Redhill place i talked about tommorrow morning if a mate can be arsed to drive down.

I do a bit of river fishing aswell, i live by the Monnow and fish by the mouth where it meets up with the Wye, literally just a short walk from my house. :)

J.T

J.T

Soldato
I had a fantastic day barbel fishing on the River Kennet Friday just gone, caught my first ever barbel and two bonus ones as well, chuffed! :)

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Such a pretty fish the barbel.

I was using Sausage Paste (not the paste you get from tackle shops but actual sausage paste from a butcher) about half the size of a golf ball ledgered using 3 LG shot lightly pinched on the line about 14 inches from the size 4 hook, no feeder just using small amounts of paste in a ball as free offerings but not a lot.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I have bumped this thread back to the top :)

Anyone been out the last week or so? I did won a match with 18lb 2oz... 4 tench, 4 skimmers, couple big roach and perch and a bag of roach/perch/rudd. Was a lovely day until it started pouring it down with rain.

Soldato
Is this the main Fishing thread? Bit of a ghost town round here for fishing?

I am deciding whether to get back into fishing or not and wondering why Maver tackle has gone from being one of the dearest best respected brands to one of the cheapest? :confused:

Seems i could get back into carp fishing on the cheap for £300 (9.5m margin pole, landing net and mat, large tackle carry bag) Think i still have my Maver Tackle box and bait stand in my mums shed, will pop down later and see if it has been nicked or not. (not been in that shed for years)

Always used Maver, never let me down so feel like i should go back to Maver if i start again.

Back
Top Bottom