*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Elden Ring installed, defaulted to High settings - between 35-50 fps in less open world areas and then between 25-30 fps in the open world. Thoroughly impressed with the brief 20 minutes I've played on it so far and the speakers are really good as well. Will mess around with FSR after realising I need to lower the resolution first before it becomes active. Should be able to get an easy solid 30fps in the game with a good fidelity level.

iJ3WJn7.jpg

looks class that can you transfer saves from other platforms?

Is FSR AMD’s version of DLSS or whatever it’s called?

Soldato
looks class that can you transfer saves from other platforms?

Is FSR AMD’s version of DLSS or whatever it’s called?

So cloud save is supported as standard on Steam so can pick up where you left off on desktop.

FSR is included yes, on Elden Ring however when you change the resolution down it doesn't render full screen. I've not quite figured out how to get the screen to fill again following but it might not work properly on Elden Ring at the moment. I'm not entirely sure.

Scratch that, I think it's like 960x540 or something like that for Elden Ring where it renders full screen allowing for FSR to work its magic. Looks like a fairly decent boost between 15-20% performance with the sharpness dialled up to the highest setting (5 but for some reason you need to select 0 for Elden Ring to get to 5). However text does suffer, not a huge deal sure but for some games I can see it being an issue. Elden Ring it could be depending on item descriptions/sub title reliance. I'll stick with full res at a capped 30fps for it however.

So yes, FSR is there which is going to be great for certain titles. I've just downed the first main boss in Elden Ring on the Deck and I'm calling that an achievement in itself. :cry:

Going to look through some of the unconfirmed games that I have and see what's what. Skyrim Special Edition looks like a good candidate to try next, RE2 was fantastic on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
So cloud save is supported as standard on Steam so can pick up where you left off on desktop.

FSR is included yes, on Elden Ring however when you change the resolution down it doesn't render full screen. I've not quite figured out how to get the screen to fill again following but it might not work properly on Elden Ring at the moment. I'm not entirely sure.

But yes, FSR is there which is going to be great for certain titles. I've just downed the first main boss in Elden Ring on the Deck and I'm calling that an achievement in itself. :cry:

Going to look through some of the unconfirmed games that I have and see what's what. Skyrim Special Edition looks like a good candidate to try next, RE2 was fantastic on it.
Ah nice, RE2 is one of games I want to play on the deck! Have you got Sekiro? As that’s another one along with Elden Ring.

Soldato
Ah nice, RE2 is one of games I want to play on the deck! Have you got Sekiro? As that’s another one along with Elden Ring.

Updated my response as your question prompted me to go back in and mess around.

Scratch that, I think it's like 960x540 or something like that for Elden Ring where it renders full screen allowing for FSR to work its magic. Looks like a fairly decent boost between 15-20% performance with the sharpness dialled up to the highest setting (5 but for some reason you need to select 0 for Elden Ring to get to 5). However text does suffer, not a huge deal sure but for some games I can see it being an issue. Elden Ring it could be depending on item descriptions/sub title reliance. I'll stick with full res at a capped 30fps for it however.

So I do have Sekiro, that is down as fully supported on Steam Deck as is DS2 and DS3 which I'm delighted about. I can install Sekiro tonight and let give you an opinion on that.

Soldato
Cheers for the feedback appreciate it.

Any idea why FSR doesn’t work at full res?

So basically you need to lower the res which seems to needs to be 960x540 specifically in From Software games at the very least for it to become active. Other games I'm sure other resolutions will work but needs to be lower than native, just how it seems to enable for sharpening up.

Sekiro I installed and had a quick run around, its nice and smooth but has moments where the frame rate dips for the odd second or so when doing a quick directional transition to a more open area.

There are definitely a few issues with the Steam Deck software etc but that usually solved by a quick restart. But when I've been in games it's been great with no crashes that way. Great starting point though and it's only going to get better as drivers/firmware improves :)

Soldato
Steam Deck ordered and paid for, hopefully by friday or monday I will have it in my hands.

Steam category is ready

sdiakp9.png

Man of Honour
My purchase email for the 512 GB just came through and though I wasn't going get it, I've changed my mind and made the purchase! :D
(The original order was on 16 Jul, 2021 @ 6:01pm BST.)

Hey how are you finding it? I've got a 512GB model pre-ordered (20 minutes later than yours on July 16th) but I'm down for Q2 so I'm hoping it won't be long now!

Associate
My order is 6.09pm and still haven't got mine, so I would assume yours would take months :rolleyes:
supposedly from april production is going to be ramped upto hundreds of thousands but i still suspect there will be delays to that and they will announce a delay in april hope i'm wrong but i don't expect to get mine before september but i am Q3 anyways

Soldato
Why did I wait until reviews came out to see performance etc I was hovering over the pre order button saying Q1 this year when the pre orders first went live but decided against it stupidly :(

have one ordered now like but saying Q3 be lucky to have it before Christmas haha

Associate
I am very much looking forward to my Steam Deck.

The games I am looking forward to trying Euro and American Truck Sim, Race 07 and a bunch of others; nothing I hope is too taxing!

Just out of interest, can you add modifications? For example GTA Vice City - the Steam version removed some of the tracks, is it possible to restore the original sound track from the CD version?

Associate
I am very much looking forward to my Steam Deck.

The games I am looking forward to trying Euro and American Truck Sim, Race 07 and a bunch of others; nothing I hope is too taxing!

Just out of interest, can you add modifications? For example GTA Vice City - the Steam version removed some of the tracks, is it possible to restore the original sound track from the CD version?

With SteamOS, as long as the mods don't break Proton, then I'd imagine any mod you can make on a PC would be transferrable. With Windows, everything should work.

Soldato
My Steam Deck 256 arrived today.

A few impressions:

- I installed 12 games so far: cyberpunk 2077, death stranding, disco elysium, black book, katana zero, aperture desk job, darksiders genesis, fable anniversary, ion fury, narita boy, paradise killer, neon abyss. They all work like on a console - up and running, nothing to worry about. I basically only adjusted the framerate cap. Out of the 227GB available internally, 35GB of free space remains.
- The games look really nice on that display, Cyberpunk on a handheld is just kinda mindblowing and runs stable 30fps
- death stranding and cyberpunk about 2 hours battery life, ion fury at 60fps five hours battery life, disco elysium 60fps about three hours
- the fan is audible and has a high pitch - I don't notice it much when playing, but it's a con and I could do without
- cloud saves are a really cool thing, not having to deal with anything and being able to pick up where I left off on PC
- the deck is heavier than I expected. Not a big deal, but it takes some getting used to and it's not easy to hold from the side with one hand. I played on a 1989 gameboy as a six year old, the Steam Deck is three times heavier and not for little kids.
- The touchpads for controlling the cursor work very well, it's nice to work on a KDE plasma desktop
- the aperture desk job is a half hour little game, but it looks great and is fun (and the gyro is cool)
- the internal speaker has surprisingly great sound. The Darksiders Genesis soundtrack is fantastic (same composer who did Ori)

I am satisfied customer - steam deck will make my in-office downtime way more entertaining.

Soldato
My Steam Deck 256 arrived today.

A few impressions:

- I installed 12 games so far: cyberpunk 2077, death stranding, disco elysium, black book, katana zero, aperture desk job, darksiders genesis, fable anniversary, ion fury, narita boy, paradise killer, neon abyss. They all work like on a console - up and running, nothing to worry about. I basically only adjusted the framerate cap. Out of the 227GB available internally, 35GB of free space remains.
- The games look really nice on that display, Cyberpunk on a handheld is just kinda mindblowing and runs stable 30fps
- death stranding and cyberpunk about 2 hours battery life, ion fury at 60fps five hours battery life, disco elysium 60fps about three hours
- the fan is audible and has a high pitch - I don't notice it much when playing, but it's a con and I could do without
- cloud saves are a really cool thing, not having to deal with anything and being able to pick up where I left off on PC
- the deck is heavier than I expected. Not a big deal, but it takes some getting used to and it's not easy to hold from the side with one hand. I played on a 1989 gameboy as a six year old, the Steam Deck is three times heavier and not for little kids.
- The touchpads for controlling the cursor work very well, it's nice to work on a KDE plasma desktop
- the aperture desk job is a half hour little game, but it looks great and is fun (and the gyro is cool)
- the internal speaker has surprisingly great sound. The Darksiders Genesis soundtrack is fantastic (same composer who did Ori)

I am satisfied customer - steam deck will make my in-office downtime way more entertaining.

Sounds amazing and i diddnt know it could run CP 2077. Do you own any racing sims on steam like Asseto corsa?

Back
Top Bottom