“The official Thailand/Phuket Holliday thread”

Soldato
Landmark is very nice but somewhat expensive. Walk a little down Sukhumvit Rd from the Landmark and you'll see hotels by the dozen above the shops where you'll pay way less and get more feel for Thailand. The Landmark could be a hotel anywhere in the world.

Avoid Eva Air. Worst Airline Ever!

If you want beaches and unspoilt tropical paradise (or what's left of it) go to Koh Chang in the far south-east of Thailand. You can get there easily enough from Bangkok Ekamai Bus Station down to Trad and from there by minibus. Chang is a National Park so relatively kosher.

It has accomodation ranging from corrugated iron and bamboo huts on stilts to 5 star resorts with everything in between. Don't book anywhere for more than one night until you've decided if the surrounding entertainments meet your needs.

Actually, if it's a lad's tour, do what rs125 did. Get to the airport, go to Khao San Road, find a hotel there, have a laugh before you decide where to go. Ask around with the others there and see who can help but ask about Koh Chang - I promise you'll love it!

Soldato
OP
Rotty said:
you will have no problem watching the football , just head to the bars on Bangla road

Is there anything about anywhere you dont know? LOL!

Rotty the guide to the world!

Thanks again, you have been a great help, you will be please to know you havent just help any random sole, but a fellow liverpool die hard, maybe your just in a good mood after tonught!!

Don
Phnom_Penh said:
Hmmm only real warning I can give about Thailand is don't eat the seafood.

never had any trouble , lobster , shrimp , fish etc

suppose it all comes down hygiene standards of each individual place

Soldato
Spamalot said:
Well thats good because I HATE seafood. And so do most of the people I'm going with afaik. So should be ok, thanks for the heads up.

Look, what we have here is not seafood. What they have in Thailand is amazing. The prawns, the lobster, the fish - fresh, succulent, full of flavour! And when combined with Thai spices and sauces! You must try it or you might as well not go!

Soldato
Spamalot said:
Yep, having the runs is just part of the fun!

Actually that's not right. In the tropics you can get seriously dehydrated very quickly if you get the runs - especially if you're vomiting as well. If that happens, get down the local hospital. The doctors will speak English and it won't cost you much even if you have to stay overnight. Those McNuggets damn nearly killed me and I'm not exagerating!

The best way to avoid any problems is drink Thai whisky with your meals as it will kill any bacteria stone dead!

Soldato
OP
MikeTimbers said:
Actually that's not right. In the tropics you can get seriously dehydrated very quickly if you get the runs - especially if you're vomiting as well. If that happens, get down the local hospital. The doctors will speak English and it won't cost you much even if you have to stay overnight. Those McNuggets damn nearly killed me and I'm not exagerating!

The best way to avoid any problems is drink Thai whisky with your meals as it will kill any bacteria stone dead!

:eek: seriously? That dont sound too fun, my mum might miss me if I died.

Soldato
Seriously! Collapsed veins, low blood pressure, flaky pulse. The works. Six hours of saline drips (three bottles) and I was fine again but apparently it was a close thing.

But you shouldn't let that put you off. The point is that the Thai food is generally very very safe and you're likely to be safer with the seafood restaurants by the beaches than the posh hotels with imported foreign food.

Soldato
phuket was very nice when I was there in 2004 with my parents. Stayed in the evason, which is on the quieter east coast of the island. Wonderful hotel, though might be a bit quiet for a boys holiday http://www.sixsenses.com/evason-phuket/

patong is very lively, and there is plenty to do. Ko phi phi i found a bit touristy and a bit of a waste of time in my opinion.

I've never had any problem with food, but i've always eaten in western hotels. Concierge in the hotel should be able to recommend places that are safe to eat.

Just watch out for tuk tuks, as they'll hassle you all the time, and you hear some real horror stories about them, though mainly in bangkok from what i've read.

Don
BUSH said:
patong is very lively, and there is plenty to do. Ko phi phi i found a bit touristy and a bit of a waste of time in my opinion.

Just watch out for tuk tuks, as they'll hassle you all the time, and you hear some real horror stories about them, though mainly in bangkok from what i've read.

that how I found Phi Phi too , not at all what I was expecting

the tuk tuks are only really a problem in Bangkok , in phuket as long as you are polite and agree price up front you will be ok

Back
Top Bottom