1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** The Official WatchOS 5 thread **

Discussion in 'Apple Software' started by Feek, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Feek

Commissario

You can get it now, download the profile and follow the instructions linked on this page to get the GM.

It's a very slow install but you can speed it up by following these instructions. It took about forty five minutes on mine to install.

I'm sure there are lots of changes but the two that have jumped out at me straight away are the new Podcasts app and WebKit - html emails are now displayed correctly.

The new face with the multiple complications doesn't appear to be there on my Series 3 but that's not too surprising.

2. Feek

Commissario

Just been for a walk and used my watch for a couple of podcasts - It worked flawlessly. What would really be great now for me would be Audible to have an Apple Watch app and then I'd be a very happy bunny.

3. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

Auto workout detection is nice too, I walk to and from work every day and I no longer need to remember to start a workout or stop it.

4. Feek

Commissario

It didn't start automatically for me but when I stopped to eat my sarnie outside the Co-Op, it popped up and gave me the option to stop/pause my walk.

Also, WatchOS 5 now pings a notification when you use Apple Pay on the watch - It didn't do that before.

5. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

I usually get prompted about 10-15 minutes after I’ve set off and asked if I’m working out, it then retroactively credits me with what I’ve done previously, so the timer will be running from 13 minutes with full credit for the walking I’ve done up to that point, it’s really clever.

6. Feek

Commissario

Thanks, I'll leave it going a bit longer as I started it manually after about five minutes.

7. Feek

Commissario

Yes, I can confirm that worked nicely - I went out for another walk and after eight minutes it popped up and asked me if I was out exercising. Very good.

8. Spit

Soldato

Cant see Watch OS5 just iOS 12 on that page?

9. Feek

Commissario

Oops, I've corrected the link, check again.

10. Spit

Soldato

Thanks Feek. Installing.

11. Feek

Commissario

I don't know if it's my imagination but the text on the workout screen looks sharper, crisper, clear than before.

[​IMG]

Yes, I know my average is slow, this includes going in a few shops, buying an ice cream, watching the world go by, etc etc.

12. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

They have definitely tweaked the layout of some bits, the activity app looks cleaner too.

13. Richard - London

Gangster

Hopefully we can get Spotify now.

14. Combat squirrel

Sgarrista

Looking forward to this today - the big deal for me is - hiking activity - I do this alot and previously I just had to use the walk exercise to register it - thankfully it will take into account elevation now!

15. Feek

Commissario

Audible is the one I really want.

16. aceface57

Wise Guy

This is something I really hope happens, let me cache a playlist offline so I can use it while out on a run with some bluetooth headphones, that would be awesome.

17. Richard - London

Gangster

its now showing as coming soon on the Audible site.

18. Feek

Commissario

\o/

19. Feek

Commissario

And it’s here!

/edit - Except I can't see how to do it. I don't see an option to install Audible on the Watch.

/edit 2 - Once I'd restarted both the watch and the phone, the app was available for me to install, it's syncing some books now. Slowly!

/edit 3 - To speed up transfer, switch off Bluetooth on the phone once you've started the sync. It forces it to use WiFi which is quicker.

20. Feek

Commissario

Well it works. Sort of. I went for a walk this morning with a new audiobook on my watch.

When I got back and opened Audible on my iPhone, it hadn't synced with the watch and my place wasn't saved. Worse, it then synced and the last played point on the watch was lost, it went back to the beginning.

That's not good. Hopefully this is something they can fix as it needs to synchronise across devices otherwise it's pretty useless.