***The Official Windows Home Server 2011 Thread***

Soldato
right then folks,

got WHS11 on my server.

my users on a seperate machine can access shares on the server.

how do i stop a particular user being able to access/see certain folders which are shared on the server?

Soldato
right then folks,

got WHS11 on my server.

my users on a seperate machine can access shares on the server.

how do i stop a particular user being able to access/see certain folders which are shared on the server?
How do the users access the computer? Local accounts or network/domain accounts? If the latter, can't you change the security on each folder and specify the user/users who have permission to access that particular folder?

Not sure how it would work if you did this for users who log in locally to a machine and accessed restricted folders. I suppose you could run a script on login that would map a particular person's drives depending on which user has just logged in?

Soldato
How do the users access the computer? Local accounts or network/domain accounts? If the latter, can't you change the security on each folder and specify the user/users who have permission to access that particular folder?

Not sure how it would work if you did this for users who log in locally to a machine and accessed restricted folders. I suppose you could run a script on login that would map a particular person's drives depending on which user has just logged in?

the drives are just mapped on the machines.

example

SERVER
PC1
PC2
PC3

SERVER folders A, B & C are shared

PC1 1 user (admin as such) - access to folders A, B & C
PC2 1 user - access to folders A & B
PC3 1 user - access to folders A & C

this is my home environment. (admin) pc1 user being me.

ive tried adding security to the folder but im assuming the users its giving access is the server users not the PC users therefore (admin) cant access the folder either (unless remote desktoping into the server)

i know i can just map the specific folders on the machines but you can still access them easily by clicking the network section on my computer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I realise this is a massive necro but thought it better than starting a new thread.

I recently moved everything over to WSE 2016. And I've been having a few teething issues. It's nothing ground breaking, but its certainly enough to make me consider just going to full blown Server Datacentre (as I have the licences) though it really shouldn't come to that.

Firstly well - its a little slow. I can't work out why, it's on good spec hardware, but it just is (I'm not expecting that Server 2016 would run better here, its just one of those things).

The biggest issue I'm having though is with its reliability. I'm running Drivepool on it which by all accounts has no problems with the platform, but I just lose access to the shares sometimes and have to reboot.

Back
Top Bottom