• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Caporegime
Thanks for the review Gregster really helpful for people with TX's/Ti's like me wondering whether to upgrade.

Seems it's about 10fps faster alround, and with low fps down in the 40fps with the TX's (3440*1440) another 10fps is very welcome to keep gsync smooth.

That's the main thing I've found tbh. Not benefiting greatly from an fps boost, but the higher minimums are making it an all over smoother experience for me :)

And at 4k I bloody need 'em!!! :D

Caporegime
that titan x should have another 150mhz or more in it where as the 1080 most likely wont have another 100 unless Greg got lucky. I agree with the above statement, they shouldn't have compared it to titan x as its clearly a 980 replacement. That part has bitten them in the behind.

Well the TX is clocked at 1420Mhz and 4000Mhz on the memory. I don't think I did get lucky either and 2065Mhz seems my max stable OC. I haven't really tried that hard in truth though and agreed about comparing it to a Titan X but on saying that, when your "not quite" top end card comfortably beats a Overclocked Titan X on stock settings, it has to be compared to something.

I have just played The Division for a couple of hours and only had the fps counter running and didn't see it once drop under 60 fps and with the TX, it often dropped to under 50, so it has given me what I wanted. The price is too high though and for Titan X/980Ti owners, I have given them something to think about and there is guys out there who have better TX's then me.

The card ran silent all the time as well and I couldn't hear it over the pump/rad fans, so a massive plus there. Overall, I am really happy with it thus far and chuffed with the performance and at the end of the day, performance and pretties counts for much in my books. Just the damned price is the negative so far.

Soldato
Thought I would add this here and if you could add me to the list Kaap, that would be appreciated. I rushed this a bit but still happy with how it turned out and lots more testing to come and comparisons.

Thanks very much for the review. Straight to the point and has really got me thinking now. I think I'm actually going to send my 1080's back to be honest.

Just not the pascal quantum jump we were expecting, especially at 20% odd improvement. I'm stuggling to justify the cost at the minute.

I think I will OC the living bejesus out of my Ti's on custom bios and stick with them until the 1080Ti.

More thinking to do tomorrow. But I think I'm pretty set on it now to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well seeing as I'm on a 770 I can't take not having all the settings maxed in The Division and Need for Speed.

Going to be pre-ordering one of the custom 1080's in the morning.

Associate
The 1080 was never meant to be the successor of the TX, it was silly of them to market it that way, that will come later with the next Ti/TX. What the 1080 is though is the fastest GPU on the market currently, it has faster minium fps and will pull away further in dx12 titles.

It would all have been fine if they'd prices it at 980-ish prices. Marketing it as a 980 replacement that outperforms a 980ti would be great. The reality of pricing it the same as a ti dampens a lot of the enthusiasm

Once prices drop $100 when vega launches or when 1080ti launches, it'll look like better value for money.

Soldato
but this way they get it twice, they get higher profits from early adopters who want the latest shiny thing (e.g. me) and then as sales slow down they can drop the price and capture that section of the market as it falls in to a different slot in the market

Associate
Only just saw the video. Nice one Greg...you are getting better with each video. Looking forward to full review.

As for some of the comments about marketing the 1080 in direct comparison to a Titan X....I don't think they intended it to come out that way but I can understand why people think so.

IMHO if Nvidia's latest card is faster than their previous Flagship then you cant really blame them for saying so. It's a marketing no brainer to be honest.

If Vega 11 comes out and it is 10% faster than a Titan X then I am sure AMD will let everyone know (On the other hand their marketing dept will probably keep it a secret :p ).

Credit where Credit is due.....Good, honest conclusion on the video too. I am sure it will make other Titan X and 980Ti owners think before parting with the cash. Wait for the 1080Ti you crazy bunch :p

:D

Associate
but this way they get it twice, they get higher profits from early adopters who want the latest shiny thing (e.g. me) and then as sales slow down they can drop the price and capture that section of the market as it falls in to a different slot in the market

Oh yeah of course it's good business for nvidia. Make hay while AMD get their act together

Man of Honour
OP
Thought I would add this here and if you could add me to the list Kaap, that would be appreciated. I rushed this a bit but still happy with how it turned out and lots more testing to come and comparisons.

20160608_003357.jpg

Better pic

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

EfCkkXi.jpg

Date 08/06/2016, Make Gigabyte G1 Gaming, Gregster, Link
Date 08/06/2016, Make Zotac Founders Edition, Biffa, Link
Date 07/06/2016, Make Gigabyte G1 Gaming, Sasahara, Link
Date 06/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, tyler_jrb, Link
Date 06/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, Boomstick777, Link
Date 05/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, danw872, Link
Date 04/06/2016, Make MSI Founders Edition, easyrider, Link
Date 04/06/2016, Make Inno3D HerculeZ X2, LewisRaz, Link
Date 03/06/2016, Make MSI Founders Edition, DAIR, Link
Date 03/06/2016, Make Palit Founders Edition, Spikey, Link
Date 02/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, Radox-0, Link
Date 31/05/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, toon_mad, Link
Date 31/05/2016, Make Zotac Founders Edition, ToastedChip, Link
Date 29/05/2016, Make Gigabyte Founders Edition, kitkat9933, Link
Date 28/05/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, X-Mikuru_Beam-X, Link
Date 28/05/2016, Make Gigabyte Founders Edition, dvs8, Link
Date 28/05/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, passey89, Link
Date 28/05/2016, Make MSI Founders Edition, Biomorphs, Link
Date 28/05/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, RichardH754, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your GTX 1080.​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom