• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

hi

I sold my msi 980ti few weeks ago (£400), I decided to wait on the rx480, not because I was going to buy one but to see if it influenced NVidia's pricing, which I don't think it has or will.

now I cannot decide what to buy between a 1070 and a 1080

my problem is the 1070 isn't a big gain over my old 980ti but It doesn't cost me a penny. where as with the 1080 I should see a jump in performance but @£200 more

also I could do with knowing which card to go for from both catagories

thanks

I did exactly what you did, in short if you need the fps the 1080 is worth the extra, faster core and faster memory and sees better gains when overclocked

Ok finally got me MSI seahawk up and running in my new loop.

Just run a quick 15 min run of Heaven to see what temps and boosts i got..

so running at:
DX11
Quality high
Tess normal
AA 4x
res 2560x1080

I got

GPU Boost Max 1936
Max Temp 60 Deg

This is without touching any settings to do with overclocking

Power limit and temp control in afterburner left at default

Edit:

Just did a second run and change power to 120% and i get a boost of 1987mhz and still stays at 60 degrees full load

Last edited:
Hmm. Running my Gigabyte FE at stock and it's getting up to the late 70s Deg in Witcher 3 around the cities. That's a bit hot no? All other games I've played so far it simply destroys on FPS so not even a need to clock it since my monitor is a 60Hz. Want to clock it for Witcher but not liking the temps at stock.

Hey guys, new to the forum here!! Just have two quick questions I hope you guys could answer... First off a very simple one, how do i find where I am in the Qeue? Is it it a simple phone call to CS? Second question and from reading he forums last few weeks a difficult one to answer Is there any indication when the Asus strix will arrive at all? I have seen the tweet stating that 1000 have been shipped but do we know how many Of those overclockers will be obtaining and do we know when?

Many thanks!!!

image.jpg

Which card do you have please.:)

now I cannot decide what to buy between a 1070 and a 1080

my problem is the 1070 isn't a big gain over my old 980ti but It doesn't cost me a penny. where as with the 1080 I should see a jump in performance but @£200 more

also I could do with knowing which card to go for from both catagories

thanks

Most important thing to tell us to decide whether the 1080 will benefit you over a 1070 is your resolution and monitor refresh rate.

Last edited:
Hmm. Running my Gigabyte FE at stock and it's getting up to the late 70s Deg in Witcher 3 around the cities. That's a bit hot no?

The ref version is known to be warmer than pretty much all aftemarket versions but the benefit is that a lot of the heat is pushed out of the case. Plenty reviews showed the ref version struggling with high boost clocks and throttling within minutes overclocked on auto fan, didn't you check them out?

I have founders EVGA 1080 and getting constant 82/83c on the card.

What are the best setttings for a custom fan curve? bit of a n00b when comes to this. Is it just a case of saying when it hits 78c to fan speed 60% ?

Was it just with a memory overclock? Tried any games like GTA5/TW3/BF4?

I played Rise of the Tomb Raider last night for a couple of hours. Settings were +120 on the core, max boost with this setting is about 2075MHz, although it seems to settle on about 2068 I think. Memory I had at +300 at the time, but I haven't tried to push it further yet.
It was perfectly stable throughout, temperatures were topping out at 74°C I think, fan speeds here are just under 1100rpm, although this is my own fan curve.

When Firestrike 'crashes' it doesn't lock up or give a display driver error it just exits the benchmark. Unsure if it's instability with the overclock or just firestrike instability - sometimes it works fine other times not.

tbh when i tried it 75% was more than enough to keep at 70-75c

Mine hits 81/83c when playing MGSV with fan speed of 53% on auto. Not tried a fan curve yet. Can you post a pic of yours.
I've got my 980ti hybrid cooler sitting there looking at my longingly to give it a try. Possible issue with hole alignment but that wont stop me.
Need to order some new TIM first.

I have read a lot about how warm the FE editions get, and the tendency to throttle... I assume this is ENTIRELY down to the cooler though, and if you can take that off and put a block on it and WC then this will COMPLETELY solve such issues??

I have read a lot about how warm the FE editions get, and the tendency to throttle... I assume this is ENTIRELY down to the cooler though, and if you can take that off and put a block on it and WC then this will COMPLETELY solve such issues??

Pretty much.

Having said that, it only throttles really as the default fan profile for the card is very much optimized for silence. They have made some decent noise reductions compared to past blowers so manually set the fan profile up and even at 50-60% fan speed, it runs pretty quiet and good for 2000 mhz +

Mine hits 81/83c when playing MGSV with fan speed of 53% on auto. Not tried a fan curve yet. Can you post a pic of yours.
I've got my 980ti hybrid cooler sitting there looking at my longingly to give it a try. Possible issue with hole alignment but that wont stop me.
Need to order some new TIM first.

xfiGycS.jpg

i wanted to keep mine as quiet as i could. you could go lower and still not throttle

Back
Top Bottom