The protected status of being pregnant...aka being off sick as much as you like

Associate
The team I'm in is experiencing a massive issue with an employee who is off sick around about 33%-40% of the time. Very rarely will she be well enough to work a full week. She's now in her second trimester. Not being an expert on the subject of pregnancy, I've heard morning sickness should settle down after the first trimester.. but no, this girl's sickness is apparently only getting worse.

The big kicker here is, everyone on our team works from home except for one office day per fortnight.

The person who got this girl her job with us (her best friend since childhood) is also massively ****** off, and is openly stating to us all her sickness is 'not genuine.' This girl apparently can't face her work-from-home workload, but she's perfectly capable of face-timing and chilling out on social media all day while she's off sick.

I've only been with this company for a few months, but I've already suspected this particular girl of narcissistic personality disorder, a complete lack of being able to take responsibility, and a general superiority complex and hostile undiplomatic attitude. I think I can add to this list her being of low moral character going by her willingness to fake illness in order to chill out, throwing everyone else in our small team under the bus (she's not bothered if someone else is off on holiday, she's taking her precious fully paid sick time if works looks a bit tough, and if everyone else goes under the bus due to that, then sod everyone else :)'

We've got two women in our small team of five who've been pregnant before, and working from home they never missed a single day due to pregnancy-related sickness.

It's apparent our team is now incensed by this girl's actions and the evidence her sickness is not genuine. Yet in this country we and our management are absolutely terrified of her ever picking up upon our displeasure at her faking her sickness given her protected status of being pregnant. Off the record, the words we exchange are along the lines of "I hope she takes her maternity leave ASAP and never comes back". But this is discrimination and ill-feeling, for which all hard working people in the team must hang and the pregnant woman faking sickness must be compensated for any perceived discrimination she feels.

So, here in the real world between regular people, how do we actually deal with this sort of scenario? Or do teams like this just suffer a slow death as everyone left looks for jobs elsewhere, and its left for management to redesign the jobs under them with a more versatile high-turnover workforce?

I've previously worked for the NHS, and it seems to me females of low moral character have sickness going for them all the time. There was one who had a senior position in a team but claimed issues with sarcoidosis. Instead of officially calling in sick, she'd declare herself off as a day in lieu. Eventually higher management finally reached the compromise of her taking a six month sabbatical, where she was suddenly well enough to go travelling abroad. In the meantime the other two full time colleagues transferred to elsewhere in the NHS, leaving one woman who worked 3 days a week PT and a bunch of lowly paid/no security temps to take over the wrecked team that'd been burnt out in the wake of her fake illness.

Another female colleague also played the system where she takes 6 months off with depression/anxiety/stress every two years or so, and then return for just enough time to keep her eligible for another 6 months off at full pay. So repeats the pattern.

Meanwhile the younger generation are living in massive precariat economy times and have no protection whatsoever despite busting their nut for their employers. Makes me wonder if the US system of no protected status whatsoever for employees is actually correct.

Not to exceed the scope of this post, but seriously, what practical steps should we be taking when we have problematic illness (especially fake illness) amongst employees who have a protected status of some sort? Is there anything else that can be done but abandon ship or stick it out and do massive amounts of unpaid overtime to compensate?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
An employee where you can identify a long term pattern of taking the mick (though helps if it matches one of the standards for testing such) especially if there is evidence of them acting contrary to being ill while off isn't necessarily protected - it is perfectly fine for the company to take it up with them and even potentially take it to a disciplinary situation in the long run if it is proving disruptive for the company.

Management have stated that as soon as she said she was pregnant, the Bradford score goes right out of the window and no measurements of absence like that apply - there is no longer any metric for her 'sick leave' as she has protected status. The old girl who did her 'taking a day off in lieu' constantly instead of declaring herself off sick also attempted to circumvent the Bradford system, and only eventually got dobbed in by her close friend who was also a senior (but part timer) in the team, and not before the other two full time colleagues were leaving for greener pastures, leaving quite the crisis behind them.

This job though doesn't have the resilience or scalability of workload to handle such things like the NHS does, where there were thousands doing similiar roles in the NHS, yet in this team, as far as I know, there's barely two dozen qualified for this job in England amongst the alliance of companies we have.

Associate
OP
Farcebook statuses and things take mere moments and don't exactly require much in the way of concentration, do they?

I was hoping I'd explained how the team was having their suspicions confirmed. She wasn't merely updating her facebook status, she was initiating facetime conversations (aka video calling) and IMing others with no sign of distress/sickness but to alleviate her boredom. Her friend suffers from migraines and had a rare sickday off the same time as her, and yet Ms Pregnant was cheerily wanting to facetime her while the one with the migraine wanted nothing more than to shut herself in a dark room and interact with no one and nothing.

Regarding Ms Sarcoidosis, then her own friend of a couple of decades reluctantly began pressing the issue with management as she observed the rest of her team disintegrate around her, with the arrow pointing firmly at her old time friend who was constantly off sick and leaving those remaining up to their necks in extra work and hassle. You also haven't explained how her sarcoidosis made her try to call in her sick days as 'days off in lieu' and how she jumped at the chance of a six month sabbatical, which she then took travelling the world in rude health.

I see you haven't even attempted to explain Ms Depression / Anxiety and her routine of six months off every two years, just-a-say recovering enough to do her job until she is again eligible to be off for another 6 months at full pay, then repeating the process.

You have nothing but heresay... and were her symptoms to be proven genuine, your company would have been messing with a pregnant woman. That can often bring legal pain down on them like a ton of bricks.

Our company hasn't been messing with a pregnant woman at all, they've acquiesced completely. It's the team that has taken the fall doing the unpaid overtime and having our stress levels go through the roof trying to keep on top of things. Our reward for this is to be accused of thought crime on the internet for noticing we're taking the fall for someone who has evidence mounting that they're malingering. Our manager (who is a bit of a novice in this situation) says they'll call HR again to discuss the situation, but otherwise keeping the poker face on when the individual in question is back in the office (and always she's absolutely chipper when she is in - definitely no sign of any discomfort whatsoever on our office days, even if apparently too ill to work from home the day before).

Associate
OP
@Vexr - don't reply to all those multi quotes... they'll just grow exponentially, trust me! ;)

It's just too tempting :p

Much stuff

Well it seems to me you're a do-gooder towing the party line of turning a blind-eye to anything in case it could be construed as antagonistic to someone of protected status, collateral damage and everyone else at the same level in the organisation to be disregarded.

Things have evolved in the company I'm working for, and much to the credit of the lady at the centre of my concerns when making this thread, she's only had 1 day off sick in the last 2 weeks, which is phenomenal attendance compared with her previous record.

I could refer to my own record of 1 day off sick in the last year due to a non-fault car accident, or mention other stellar previous colleagues who rightfully bragged about not having a sick day in 6-10 years, but of course that's a hate crime.

As it stands, massive mismanagement has prevailed over other issues (including this one), and I'll almost certainly be handing in my notice and returning to the NHS very soon. I'd like to see the virtue signallers twist that as me being evil and in the wrong, going from a FTSE 250 company to the NHS.

But yeah, I've given my all and had more than enough. I have a few more phone calls to make to secure the transition, but I can't help but reckon I'll be wary of such HR-ish issues in the future (even though that has little to do with the positions I've held).

Associate
OP
Not at all.

But instead, having had a measure of experience with pregnant women and knowing what some of them can be like, what I am saying is that there are often many elements to this you may be unaware of, and that with only mere suspicion rather than any actual proof that she's BSing, you seem quite desperate to chuck her under a bus... It comes across more like jealousy of either her condition and/or the leniency afforded her in order to accommodate her sicknesses.
Hell, you clearly know **** all about what being pregnant might actually be like and you've just gone round other women asking how many days they had off sick. Try reading before you start pulling triggers.

So what you're saying is under absolutely no circumstances can a pregnant woman possibly be malingering to get out of work because she's has a get out of jail free card. Apparently you think women are too ignorant to recognise their protected status and their isn't a single woman out there capable of thinking '"well sod work today, I'm going to pretend to be ill, and there's nothing anyone can say or do about it because I've got a bun in the oven. And afterall, don't I deserve this?"

So?
You still have suspicions, right, so why start giving her credit? She's pregnant and you have to pick up the slack because she can't be around. Get rid of her. How DARE she get pregnant and have it make her sick..... If you're going to be a **** and take a draconian Victorian approach to this, why not just kick her in the belly, abort the child and then force her back to work? It's not like you have the option of getting pregnant and taking time off work too, right?

Kick her in the belly to abort the child? What kind of twisted idiot are you to project that idea on to anyone?

It's not a hate crime, it's just being a dick.
Some people get more sick than others. I've not had a sick day in almost 15 years either, but I'm not bitching about it when others with weaker consititutions suffer with their flus and their colds and whatever... Just because you don't understand this doesn't make you a better human.

For some reason you strike me as someone who hasn't even worked in 15 years. Possibly you're a silver-haired 'woke' manchild pretending to have what you think are the Gen-Z/millennial values of virtuosity.

So a colleague is suffering, and you've decided it's all about you having to slum it down in public health services... Great. Be sure to put that on your CV, yeh?

Funny you say that, as before she got pregnant the common complaint about her was that actually "everything isn't about her". Personally I don't think I have this problem. And I don't consider myself to be slumming it going back to the NHS - the jobs are almost equivalent pay-wise - in fact the NHS would come out in front for pay per hour given the unpaid extra time I've been working in this role.

The problem I had with the NHS is that I was a private contractor, which was cracked down on and I found myself jumping ship too regularly for my liking with no job security, which was causing all sorts of havoc.

Sorry, what positions are these?
Are you supposed to be someone special, or something? Are you a physicist, neurosurgeon, test-pilot, and 80s rock musician, by any chance? Can I join your Blue Blaze Irregulars? :D

No, nothing special, and as you're banging on about the 80s and 'Blue Blaze Irregulars', which I assume is some sort of anachronism, it lends credence to my above post about you being a silver-haired social justice warrior who should really know better.

Associate
OP
Realise this thread is quite old, but just to weigh in as the partner of someone who suffers from hyperemesis gravidarum, "morning sickness" doesn't even come close to describing it.

At its worst, my GF will be sick every 5-10 minutes 24/7 - literally every time she has a sip of water or nibble of a biscuit, it will come straight back up. We unfortunately had to terminate at 12 weeks earlier this year, as, after being hospitalised for rehydration ~15 times, and trying every single possible medication available, she started showing signs of early kidney and liver failure, with no indication that there was any chance of the sickness letting up.

Not saying the girl in the OP is necessarily in the same situation, but to dismiss her inability to work as just "morning sickness" may not be entirely fair...

I appreciate your POV. Sounds like your Mrs's entered a far more dire situation than anything that I encountered in the job I was in when I made this thread.
I now work back in the NHS. The culture and every individual about it is now compatible with how I work. I'll carry the sickness abuse from my former employer with me for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom