• Notice regarding image hosts and attachments. See here.

The quest for a house.

Caporegime
Joined
6 Dec 2005
Posts
38,309
Location
Birmingham
Why is this process such a pain?!

My and my girlfriend have been on and off looking for a while and the past 3 months or so we've properly started searching. We've just found a property we really like after a couple of viewing and put in an offer on Tuesday. During the call the EA (Connells) wanted us to see their Mortgage 'Expert' in order to qualify the offer. Today I went in to give the offer in writing and a copy of a DIP. Though this didn't state money for this particular property it states the max they could lend us.

After handing over the letter and stating that I wouldn't be available for an appointment with their 'advisor' while rustling through the paper he said "okay, good well she (the advisor) would qualify the offer as well, we have received another offer on the property which is in the process of getting qualified as well, it's very close. Is that going to be your best and final offer?"

After trying to pry some info out of him he said "I think the vendor would want an increase any way speaking to her any way, she said get everybody qualified and everything and we'll take it from there, we're just waiting for the other one to come in and we'll get them qualified as well".

After questioning what was involved in the 'qualifying meeting' he said "it's just so, well we'd obviously need the ID and proof of residence... let me check if there is anything else available".

From the way he was talking I get the impression that the offer hasn't been passed onto the vendor or they're waiting to see who they can push products and find out more details about before passing onto the vendor.


I don't believe a word this guy says and we have no intention in seeing their MA if we can't help it. I have got a telephone appointment on Wednesday with the lender who provided the DIP.


What's the best way to get through this as we both really like the property...?
 
They're really pulling your leg there mate! they will always try and get you to use their mortgage advisor and conveyancers (most of the time they're not solicitors) as they earn more money on it but it sounds like they're using dirty tricks gto get you to go through them (instead of the usual pushyness they use promising it will speed the process up)
They have a disregard for a quick sale and disregard for the vendor's best interests. That's not fair on the vendor or you - I doubt the vendor knows you're offering and as for 'the other guy' - what other guy?!? I smell BS!

Can you just speak to the vendor? it's a bit of a no-no most of the time but there were certain things I spoke to the vendor about directly as the EA's I was dealing with were useless and so were both of our legal peeps.

You're current DIP from your own source is enough to get the offer ball rolling and 'sold subject to contract' mark against the house. The next stage from the mortgage is the 'application offered' stage (maybe pending valuation) which is way way down the line - you don't get to that stage until you have made a formal application for a mortgage for a fixed price and submitted all of your evidence - it's a long, drawn-out process that can only go as quick as it does. The whole thing can fall through until the day that the contracts are exchanged so their 'validation' is meaningless really.
 
Yeah the guy who we've been dealing with since the second viewing is proper greasy.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if the offer had been given to the vendor, and the 'other guy' came up just as he'd finished casting an eye on the DIP, and instantly started asking me if I think we could place a higher offer.


I think we're going to go to this tomorrow but just lay it down plain and simple. Not like we have anything to lose so we'll see.

The only contact details I have for the vendor are name and address from the land registry. I doubt Connells would give us a telephone number! :D We are seeing another property tomorrow and Tuesday next week and to be honest either way I think we'll just write to her directly at both addresses with a written offer etc and maybe some details about how Connells are presenting themselves depending on how tomorrow goes.
 
Moving house is very emotionally trying, especially as you have to deal with not one, but two of the most unscrupulous 'professions' out there. Estate agents AND solicitors.

I hate them.
 
I'd be tempted to send a letter. As you say nothing to lose.
We had the same nonsense when we bought our current place with regards to another so called 'interested party'. The vendor confirmed this was news to them.
Estate agent is nothing more than slang for extortionist.
 
Last edited:
Its against the law NOT to pass on your offer. They can advise their client not to accept but they must pass on the offer. I'd be making an offer in person with the vendor if you don't trust the agent.
 
We completed on Wednesday so finally sorted after a year and a bit. We started trying to sell with fox & sons, part of the same group as connells, and they were terrible, changed to a local group after six months, who were much better. Our final purchase also came via a different, local estate agent. So much better to deal with than the national chains, no pressure to use in house conveyancing or mortgage brokers, but good recommendations of local firms and a much more pleasant experience.

As others have said, they cannot refuse to pass your offer on to the seller, nor can they force you to use their in house services on the promise of preferential treatment. Be firm and deal in writing with the agents to ensure they cannot 'misinterpret' your instructions. Also make sure you have a good solicitor to deal with them as necessary.
 
The most pointless 20 minutes of my life.

I don't know if it was because they're a different branch where the appointment was but it was just odd. Went in, she had minimal details, names, property, that we had already spoken to Natwest and L&C. Asked how they went, explained that I'm contracting at the moment and said spoke to an Indy and got recommended 'x', went direct to them who have provided the DIP.

She said she would check their lenders, took our general employment details didn't ask for proof or anything and checked. Said they had a few lenders themselves and that there was no issues with affordability. Said she would let our branch know there were no issues, gave me her card and said if we wanted to go through them just to give her a call.


She was either forewarned or is the worst salesperson and least charismatic person on the planet. Just weird.


We're going to give it until after the weekend, if we haven't heard back from the EA, say mid Monday we're just going to send the vendor a letter directly.
 
I'm in the process of trying to sell a house now. Connells were by far the worst of the three EA's I had come round to value the place, and by far the pushiest. They had the highest fee's and the longest tie in period. (20 weeks, seriously!)
Even though I am currently signed up with someone else, it still hasn't stopped them phoning up on a weekly basis.
 
Haha. We had the same thing with a pushy EA last year. When he rung to see if we had decided who to use. he said "Oh, well do you mind if we call you in a couple of months to see if your still happy" What an cocky arse

A couple of months....It took 3 days and only because their was a weekend
 
I can sell it after 5 years,split profit 50/50 or u buy my share

u can live in it right away though if u can find the 25k its in dudley
 
Just had a call from the EA, thanked us for going yesterday said theres the 2 offers and the vendor wanted best offers over the next couple of days.
 
We had the same with Connells a few years back, offered asking price for house got accepted one day next day they came back wanting more, walked away from it. House was still for sale months later.
 
Most of them try this, for the house we are buying now, they wanted screenshots of savings and mortgage in principle. Refused to give them anything.
 
Back
Top Bottom