• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Caporegime
Most of the reviews I've seen of it suggest that it's quiet, but one said that it was loud. I don't really know what to think!

I got the impression from various reviews that it was quieter than the reference which can be quiet loud, but that the Nitro is the quietest/almost silent.

Soldato
Most of the reviews I've seen of it suggest that it's quiet, but one said that it was loud. I don't really know what to think!
My Pulse is both quiet and cool-running. The Nitro will run slightly-cooler and on average overclock slightly-better. It will also hold its value better.

Last edited:
Associate
had another little play tonight with the nitro. dropped max frequency to 2940 and had a higher boost in timespy to 2982. also it seems the vram seems to prefer 2650 instead of 2750. hotspot was a little higher at 69 but core stayed at 42. would this be ok for a 24/7 oc or should i dial it back a bit more, not sure what i can get away with as this is the first time ive played team red :)
eQSPUHe.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Spent a couple of hours this evening swapping out my PSU (been sat there for months but too lazy to install!) and installing 7900XT pulse. I recently switched from 1440p to 4k, and generally found that the 7900XT does about 20-30% better than my 5700XT did at the lower resolution with similar custom settings; e.g. 5700XT would do ~55 FPS in Cyberpunk at 1440p and 6900XT does ~70 FPS at 4k. Forza Horizon with FSR went from 110 FPS to 140 FPS. Plague Tale is just about 60 FPS, there's no FSR available for this and I have it via Gamepass so cant inject it in with DLL hacking. Overall fairly happy with it, need a faster CPU now :)

Caporegime
Spent a couple of hours this evening swapping out my PSU (been sat there for months but too lazy to install!) and installing 7900XT pulse. I recently switched from 1440p to 4k, and generally found that the 7900XT does about 20-30% better than my 5700XT did at the lower resolution with similar custom settings; e.g. 5700XT would do ~55 FPS in Cyberpunk at 1440p and 6900XT does ~70 FPS at 4k. Forza Horizon with FSR went from 110 FPS to 140 FPS. Plague Tale is just about 60 FPS, there's no FSR available for this and I have it via Gamepass so cant inject it in with DLL hacking. Overall fairly happy with it, need a faster CPU now :)

Yeh, sounds like you are CPU limited.

The 7900 xt should be massively more than 20-30% faster.

Associate
had another little play tonight with the nitro. dropped max frequency to 2940 and had a higher boost in timespy to 2982. also it seems the vram seems to prefer 2650 instead of 2750. hotspot was a little higher at 69 but core stayed at 42. would this be ok for a 24/7 oc or should i dial it back a bit more, not sure what i can get away with as this is the first time ive played team red :)
eQSPUHe.png
When tuning for port royal I could not use the same settings in games as I would get driver time outs. I had to ease off on memory and timings and up the volts.

Associate
I have a Pulse, great card given how much it is, I dont hear it (But only play on my 65" TV @ 4k60hz so doesnt always get 100% usage) - But ill be getting a Waterblock anyway - Dont forget however, every card is subject tot he silicone lottery - I think I won big on mine!

Last edited:
Associate
I'm gutted I missed out on the 7900XT Nitro+ at £800. I'd pull the trigger on that instantly if Gibbo decides he's crazy enough to do it again.
Yeah, this is what I'm holding out on now. Hopefully it drops again and then I'd get involved, I spent too much time considering it last time and by the time I looked again in the evening the price had jumped back up!

Soldato
I have a Pulse, great card given how much it is, I dont hear it (But only play on my 65" TV @ 4k60hz so doesnt always get 100% usage) - But ill be getting a Waterblock anyway - Dont forget however, every card is subject tot he silicone lottery - I think I won big on mine!

I concur, the only time I ever hear my PC is when the CPU cooler ramps up. Temps are well under control also.

Associate
Yeah, this is what I'm holding out on now. Hopefully it drops again and then I'd get involved, I spent too much time considering it last time and by the time I looked again in the evening the price had jumped back up!
Fingers crossed!

I'm running a 1080ti which has served me honourably, but I'm starting to feel the pinch at 4k.

I do have a few months before I need to go balls deep on a new build though, but there's no telling where prices are going and a general significant drop across the entire sector seems to be highly unlikely!

My bottleneck will then obviously be my current 3900XT, but it will only be temporary - 13900k in the new build.

Soldato
My bottleneck will then obviously be my current 3900XT, but it will only be temporary - 13900k in the new build.

At 4K I haven't found the 3900X to really be much of a bottleneck except in 3DMark; it definitely is but not hugely so.

Remember the consoles are on lower clocked 8 core Zen 2 chips. The current gen games that are getting ported across are going to be a bit heavier as all that storage / streaming performance the consoles have will need to be brute forced, and additionally some engines are thread limited.

Edit: High refresh rate 1080p games are where the CPU is really the determining factor, at 4K you generally just let the GPU soak all the performance limits up.

Last edited:
Associate
At 4K I haven't found the 3900X to really be much of a bottleneck except in 3DMark; it definitely is but not hugely so.

Remember the consoles are on lower clocked 8 core Zen 2 chips. The current gen games that are getting ported across are going to be a bit heavier as all that storage / streaming performance the consoles have will need to be brute forced, and additionally some engines are thread limited.

Edit: High refresh rate 1080p games are where the CPU is really the determining factor, at 4K you generally just let the GPU soak all the performance limits up.

That's good to know. I'm not too clued up on the facts, so this is really helpful - thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom