• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

THE REAL REASON VEGA FAILED & RAJA QUIT AMD!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Does make sense. So probably Raja had less than 10% of the resources nvidia had. He did good considering really.

Had Vega come out 12 months before, it would not have been seen as a failure.

Let’s see now how good Navi will be.

Associate
Does make sense. So probably Raja had less than 10% of the resources nvidia had. He did good considering really.

Had Vega come out 12 months before, it would not have been seen as a failure.

Let’s see now how good Navi will be.

Well if Intel give Raja all the money and staff he wants then it could be an interesting few years ahead. With three manufacturers in the mix it could well change the market completely. Also with the AMD/Intel partnerships going on....this could spell future issues for Nvidia. As the song says ...."There may be trouble ahead". :D

Associate
Gonna be painful for FreeSync owners if Navi turns out to be another mid range chip.

Navi has been designed for the PS5....although it does look like AMD may then bring out Navi for PC which has been rumored to be 1080Ti power for around $300 - $400

Which would probably be mid range by then. But Nvidia's mid range will be around that too. Isnt the 1070 a bit faster than a 980Ti ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well if Intel give Raja all the money and staff he wants then it could be an interesting few years ahead. With three manufacturers in the mix it could well change the market completely. Also with the AMD/Intel partnerships going on....this could spell future issues for Nvidia. As the song says ...."There may be trouble ahead". :D

Two ;)

Soldato
But even if Vega had been 50% faster and better then the GTX1080ti if would have still failed because of the use of HBM2 ram which resulted in them not being able to make enough due to the availability of HBM2.

Coming out significantly earlier would not have been possible due to the ram choice and a bigger budget probably would not have made that much difference on time scales, maybe a few months at best.
Producing working silicon prototypes takes a fixed amount of time irrespective of R&D budget.

So unless you want to turn back time and give them a bigger R&D budget 4-5 years ago as well as the Navi budget I can't see it being possible to come out 10 months or more earlier.

AMD could have sold more Vega even in its current form, but were unable to make enough when there was high demand, so being better wouldn't have stopped it failing if you can't fulfil demand.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I would love to see Intel competing at the high end. More competition the better for us. I just want to see more performance and better prices for us. Having nvidia milking us all is not appealing to me as it might be to some :):p

Soldato
Interesting speculation.

Companies make decisions on resources all the time. If true then they knew a long time in advance that Vega would not be a super GPU worthy of massive investment. Sure it sucks to be the guy in charge of the team but the company comes before any employee.

Soldato
Gonna be painful for FreeSync owners if Navi turns out to be another mid range chip.
Navi is, if amd is sticking to their roadmap, most likely going to be a smaller chip but that doesn't mean the performance will be small. It's clear that AMD wants to move away from big chip design and instead go for the same approach as they did with ryzen. They have said themselves that a lot of the team from ryzen has been moved to RTG too help with AMDs next graphics solution and if you look at the roadmap they showed back in 2016 (i think) it clearly says that navi is meant to be scalable. Im 110% certain that they are doing the same infinite fabric solution or something close too it for navi. Time will tell of course.

It just makes so much sense for them to go this route. Smaller chips have much higher yield success on early process nodes and this is going to be even more key as nodes goes down into the 5 or 3 nm territory. On a side note. I don't believe navi is only meant for console. Like so many other things AMD has produced their designs are easily implemented into whatever segment they want them in. Again its how they keep the cost down.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS83LzAvNTY2NjA0L29yaWdpbmFsL2FtZC1yb2FkbWFwLlBORw==

Caporegime
OP
No matter how you choose to spend your hard earned, Vega was late to the party, expensive and after being so late, under performed. A real shame as I am all for competition but the lack of it from AMD, it isn't surprising to see Raja quit.

Caporegime
I like Vega, it's a hot little ****er but when optimised for it really is a flyer! Deeper DX12/Vulkan optimisations too than Pascal :)

Get yourselves a nice Sapphire/Powercolor Vega64 and a lush Freesync screen and sorted :cool:

Man of Honour
I still think there was a core of people at RTG (including Raja) who wanted to engineer a sell off to Intel (possibly with Intel's backing) and were pre-empted at which point he had no choice but to leave. Those rumours didn't come out of thin air and have a couple of fairly well placed sources behind their original emergence.

Caporegime
Navi has been designed for the PS5....although it does look like AMD may then bring out Navi for PC which has been rumored to be 1080Ti power for around $300 - $400.
How many times have we seen this 'rumour' which is usually speculation and wishful thinking. Every time. How many times has it turned out to be true? Never. Every time.

Back
Top Bottom