The Road to Ironman 2018

Soldato
Hi all,

So for the last year or so I've been back into my all round fitness. I've always been fairly fit with weekly football, cycle and squash sessions. I started running and found I was pretty comfortable middle / long distance in as much as I have one pace which I can sit at beyond 5k until half, or full marathon distance are covered. My 5k Parkrun times are around 21 minutes if I'm not using them as a recovery run.

At the start of this year, I started to focus on another area that I thought I was OK at, the swim. I've been having Tri coaching sessions locally and I've noticed a massive improvement in just a few months.

Long story short, I'm entering the 2018 Austria Ironman in July next year and wanted to look to people who may have completed similar events, 70.3 or Sprint / Olympic Tris for any tips and hints, especially around transitions, etc.

Just to add, I'm not doing this to break any records. I aim to do two Ironmans in consecutive years in my lead up to being 40 years old. The first, Austria, is deemed as one of the better "beginner" courses. Well spectated, good weather, great support. Here, I really want to ensure I "get round" in the allotted time. The next one will be to only try and better my time, and may well take place in Austria again, 2019.

I'm completely fine on the bike and have covered and completed many similar distances. I'm not intending to TT.

I've got a fairly good 6 month training plan, but the reason I've started focusing now is to elimiate the weaker disciplines (the swim). From July / August onwards this year I will be adding some lengthy brick sessions in too.

Hoping to have some good similar experiences with people from here.

Caporegime
Cool, not done an IM but its on my to do list. Started 2 years ago with the idea to do an IM but thought I first need to run a marathon so I did that and then got addicted to running. I've been adding in some biking and learning to swim but way prefer running - not touched my bike in 4 months!

I was pretty set to sign up for an IM next September but going through some (good) life changing events end of this year so wont be able to train for an IM. Might be focusing on runnign for a little longer. Besides which I am truly terrible at swimming so light spend a few years trying to get better at that. Medium term plans are to get my Marathon time down to soemthign that i think would be incredibly hard to beat by more than a couple of minutes - I'll probably start fighting my age soon so tgis is the last chance I have to get some veyr fast run times. I'm moving into ultramarathons, but see swim + cycle cross training as even mroe important for ultras so ihope that raises y level.

Of course I could just sign up with a goal of finishing which would be relatively easy if I make the swim cut-off but I'm too competitive to simply bucket list my first IM! I have some very unfit non-sporty friend do an IM in 15-16 hours but it just doesn't sound enjoyable.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Excellent, thanks. Thinking of calling mine "Fat kid at the back, the Road to Ironman 2018" :D

Although I said I wasn't competitive, I am, but only really with myself. My goal is 11 hours for the first one.

I hear Switzerland is a great course too.

Soldato
Yeah, it was a nice course, the weather was great and the spectators were very supportive.

I tell people I did it in 11h because the extra 2:53 was "diginity time" which I could have saved by urinating myself instead of stopping.:D

Soldato
Yep, I've just had the "learn to pee while running and cycling" training sessions :D

I just couldn't do it in the end, my bladder refused to release! I managed to go in my wetsuit whilst warming up in Lake Zurich though.:o

My other major concern for such a long race was digestive distress from drinking/eating sugar for 11 hours. Luckily I didn't have any problems but I've heard the horror stories!

Soldato
OP
I have had runners trots before, but they encompass me after the event which is ok, but I do sometimes get strong wind. When with the AC club, I normally hold it in for the people directly behind, but I won't be doing anything of the sort in the IM. Farts away!

Associate
Good luck, did Austria in 2015, absolutely stunning place - the lake is crystal clear and the bike is spectacular. Don't get fooled into thinking its flat, there is a fair few hills on the loop but it's fast due to a lot of downhills that follow them. Get that nutrition plan nailed, in training and races leading up to it.

Caporegime
I just couldn't do it in the end, my bladder refused to release! I managed to go in my wetsuit whilst warming up in Lake Zurich though.:o

My other major concern for such a long race was digestive distress from drinking/eating sugar for 11 hours. Luckily I didn't have any problems but I've heard the horror stories!

Digestive stress is more common in runners due to the shaking of the stomach while the smooth motion of cycling tends to be less of an issue, even if you aren't digesting well its not sloshing about so much. Of course it can affect all endurance events but its less common to see TOur de France cyclist throwing up than say elite ultra runners who often spend a few hours keeping nothing down but still go on for a podium finish!. The first thing to realize there is only so much calories you can digest per an hour, and different sugars have different digestibility so some of the more expensive sports drinks like Gu Roctane really do work better than the cheaper stuff.

Caporegime
One thing that could help get a good time if you are a strong cyclists is to cycle ever so slightly less than the prescribed power and try and get a strong run in. I see a lot of splits where people do an OK swim, very strong cycle and then explode on the run loosing loads of time with a 15 mile hike.

Soldato
OP
Yep I intend to actually take the ride easy (5h30 pace) and hope for a strong 4h run. I highly doubt I'll be under that for the run but you never know. Adrenaline does funny things to people...

Soldato
Well done on entering an Iron distance event. I haven't any personal experience to offer for that distance but I've done several other events in the last year since taking up Triathlon and unless you're looking to win, transition time becomes less important the longer the race. However, for an iron distance race taking your time in transition to prepare properly for the bike or run can save you time overall or even avoid a DNF, I've read this and had people in our Tri club say it too. Also, never race in new untested kit or equipment regardless of distance.

As for race and nutrition strategies, your training should dictate what this should be come race day. By the time you get there you will know exactly how to fuel your race and how your body will cope with the intake, you should have introduced and practised race day nutrition at least a couple of months before in your training. You should also know roughly what you are likely to achieve for each split and have a race target time. Obviously putting all 3 together on the day is going to be tougher but if you've trained and tapered properly and get the nutrition right you should do fine.

I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope to be doing an iron distance event next year, my first. This year I only have 4 races pencilled in. I did the Slateman full last month. July I have the Long Course Weekend in Tenby, National Club Relays in August (such a good laugh) and to finish off the season I have Challenge Peguera in Mallorca which will be my first half.

Associate
Ah nice one. I was a fat slob at the start of the year. My brother in law and sister are pretty experienced triathletes and have done about 7 ironman's between them (including lanzerote) so i have adopted them as my training team :D. I am now up to doing Olympic distance triathlons. I was going to attempt the same as you next year but i might go for for a 70.3 then do a full in 2019.... My plan was to do the full next year but everytime I do a 100 mile sportive on the bike i think to myself "could i actually run a marathon after this" at the moment i don't think i can. I think depending on how the winter training goes will decide if i go for half or full distance.

... Totally agree with D.P. I am a pretty strong cyclist and have often found myself smashing the cycle only to find i have no legs for the run..

I have just finished a book called not normal behaviour. It is a brilliant read for any triathlete at any level.. oh and its funny as hell. There are many moments people can relate too.

Has anyone else found the swim start for a triathlon interesting ? It's not swimming its UFC ffs lol. I use this as a training guide :D

Best of luck in Austria and hats off to you... I may even see you there if i get the balls to attempt it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom