The Royle Family

Soldato
The Royle Family is one of my absolute favourites, have watched all of them so many times. I have been really disappointed with the recent Christmas ones though - The New Sofa and the Golden Eggcup in particular. Joe's Crackers was better.

What I loved about the series was that it was hilarious without seemingly trying to be that funny - but the Christmas specials, e.g. the turkey in the bath with Dave, Dave's dad being the complete polar opposite of what we'd always been told he was like (a boring *******) were just trying far too hard, in my opinion. I didn't even watch last year's Christmas special. Will stick to watching Denise and Dave argue about Beverley Macca :)

Soldato
I have to say that I prefer Early Doors over TRF as well tbh. I admire how they both are not afraid of silence...not like a lot of (particularly American) shows that have to fill every second with a one-liner, or canned laughter etc. They are both very well made.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've only just discovered Early Doors, thanks to a couple of fellow OCUK forum users, and I'm really enjoying it. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I prefer it over TRF but it's still pretty good :)

Soldato
Well, well, well...

Early Doors is being repeated on BBC (BBC4 and iPlayer) for the first time in 14 years tonight and I for one can't wait. I've got them on DVD anyway but this is my all time favourite comedy and am really pleased to see all the good publicity it is getting again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom