• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
From a technical stand point, it limits the amount of watts (amps X voltage, per second) the card can potentially use, but the drawback is that some parts of a scene use more power than others. The algorithm tries to maintain all of it to the same limit of 165 watts on a stock Vega 56, and does so by using a management algorithm.

The card can have some pretty high spikes in power usage at stock settings, so the algorithm serves a purpose. Once undervolted, the card can only peak so much, but the relative difference can be much higher at lower average power usage. This creates high variance in frame times as the algorithm tries to balance it all out. At that point, The drawbacks outweigh any potential benefits or even necessity.

For testing your undervolt, something like the free Final fantasy XV benchmark is excellent for determining stability and peak power levels. It uses a form of virtual resolution that allows you to test complex scenes at various resolutions on any screen. I recommend running each of the three default benchmark presets at 1440p and 4k in a single sitting to determine stability, while the 1440p standard test in great for establishing constant power and heat during a normal gaming session. For determining the max power the card can pull while undervolted, try the 4K standard test looped a couple of times.

Something like MSI Afterburner overlay or the driver in-game overlay should provide all the required information on-screen, or an open GPU-Z statistics window on a second display works just as well if you have multiple monitors.

Thanks for the reply - I hate to be a noob but I still don't understand what you mean? Are there any videos I can watch? I've seen a few on YouTube (and even downloaded a profile that crashed on Overwatch on my Sapphire Pulse Vega 56).

Generally, undervolting means worse performance or crashes on my card - and I just want to learn how to get it right! I appreciate the notes on how to test it but I'm not sure what I should be changing in the Radeon software.

Associate
Thanks for the reply - I hate to be a noob but I still don't understand what you mean? Are there any videos I can watch? I've seen a few on YouTube (and even downloaded a profile that crashed on Overwatch on my Sapphire Pulse Vega 56).

Generally, undervolting means worse performance or crashes on my card - and I just want to learn how to get it right! I appreciate the notes on how to test it but I'm not sure what I should be changing in the Radeon software.

Although the following appears to primarily concern RX Vega 64s, it may still be helpful in understanding the idea behind effective tuning. Unfortunately, I don't have access to your particular card, so can't provide any further insight.

An image of my tuning settings with the relevant part highlighted
Current-UV-Highlighted.jpg

A video

Time Spy Stability Test
http://www.3dmark.com/tsst/1290966

An excellent guide
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...king-undervolting-information-guide.18793012/

Associate
@Proto those mv figures are really low! My vega64 starts to complain if I reduce p7 lower than about 1050! Can your card still boost to 1630+ with such low mv?

It will boost to about 1512 MHz at very low temps, but will hold a near constant 1500 MHz on average. The displayed clock figures are of course an average, and the card can in theory use up to the max clock to arrive there.

Importantly for me, these settings will stay at a virtually silent 165 Watts during a normal gaming session at 1440p, but using the Final Fantasy XV benchmark will show average power of 180 Watts and 190 Watts for the 1440p and 4K presets respectively.

Image - GPU-Z Fullscreen Render Test at 1500 MHz average
Current-UV-GPU-Z.jpg

A boost clock of 1630 MHz / Average 1600 MHz requires 1050 mV, but the average power usage moves to between 200 and 220 Watts! Too hot and noisy!!

Image - Radeon Tuning settings for 1600 MHz average
Max-UV.jpg

Image - GPU-Z Fullscreen Render Test at 1600 MHz average
Max-UV-GPU-Z.jpg

A stock RX Vega 64 can boost to 1630 MHz, but will only average around 1450 MHz in the Final Fantasy XV benchmarks at 4K. It's actually all perfectly explained in the linked guide from my last post.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cool, interesting.

Mine will draw 240-260W when it's going max-chat, and will boost happily all the time up to about 1650. hot spot maxes out at 88degs and the fan rarely goes above 45%, so it's not silent by any means but it's not loud.

Maybe I could get lower mv is i dropped the p7 mhz down a touch. I'm happy with the clocks and temps and noise as it is with 1050mv p7, but i'd like it to draw a lot less power!

Associate
Uh oh - my reseated GPU just started showing some artifacts in Overwatch. The temps, while high (Hotspot at 90C max) - rest of temps are fine - seem normal/ I was not getting artifcats before.

Did I mess up my card?

Associate
No pads gone missing, I just re-did the thermal paste in a nice application. Pads are all fine and also the memory temps (while high) are all fine too (and the same as before).

I think its my undervolt thats still unstable - I just was less aggressive on the undervolt now and played some games on Overwatch and all seemed fine (I'm keeping an eye out though..). What I've learnt so far on my Sapphire Pulse 56:

- OC memory to 950mhz seems fine (I did not change the memory voltage
- Undervolting does not "work" for me? Stock settings seems to bring out the best temps and Core clock when gaming. +50% power limit is just too hot and I get crashes. If I undervolt at powerlimit at 0 the clocks go down to 1450/1550 (stock is 1590)

Not sure what to do lol

Associate
Well, clearly on my Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 temps were a problem. So after some thinking, I decided to deshroud the GPU and ziptie two noctua 120mm fans on there.

OH MY - just did some testing without a fan curve and the fans on 60/70% (which is not loud compared to the stock fans) and my hotspot never goes over 80C (before I would hit 95C, maybe 100) and idle is 27C ish. The top exhaust on my case is kicking out some WARM heat.

Bad point is it's kicking heat up into the CPU which is seeing some increases, but until my GPU fan header arrives I had to disconnect one intake fan for the CPU so hopefully once I do it all up it will balance out.

Core clocks hit a max of 1630 - which is great as its undervolted too.

Associate
Well, clearly on my Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 temps were a problem. So after some thinking, I decided to deshroud the GPU and ziptie two noctua 120mm fans on there.

OH MY - just did some testing without a fan curve and the fans on 60/70% (which is not loud compared to the stock fans) and my hotspot never goes over 80C (before I would hit 95C, maybe 100) and idle is 27C ish. The top exhaust on my case is kicking out some WARM heat.

Bad point is it's kicking heat up into the CPU which is seeing some increases, but until my GPU fan header arrives I had to disconnect one intake fan for the CPU so hopefully once I do it all up it will balance out.

Core clocks hit a max of 1630 - which is great as its undervolted too.

Nice! The JDM/McGyver way of cooling. Doesn't look pretty but does the job. Warranty is almost up so I may do the same, for cacks and giggles. :D

My RedDragon V56 with undervolt OC kicks out a ridiculous amount of heat and is not at all quiet (no idea of hotspot temp, core hits no higher than 72°C). Would be nice for it not to be as audible.

Back
Top Bottom