**The Secret World**

Soldato
I finally got in, does anyone else feel the game is little jerky sometimes, especially when entering new areas, like the HDD is always catching up loading.

Ive turned down a few settings ie, the physics vegetation thinks its called and pushed a couple more down to level 3 (1 notch down). The game is playing much better now.

When playing on ultra with AA i was getting jerky gameplay with frames going down to 45 ish occasionally, reminds me of AOC a little bit with the loading new areas and a slight pause sometimes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get a blank screen with a cursor and nothing else after I've clicked 'Start Game'. If I alt-tab I have no errors and the client hasn't crashed, just can't find a way around it. Drivers are the latest and the repair option downloaded a 2gig patch but I still get the same problem.

Can't find any solutions on the official forums either .. grrr

Associate
Works fine for me only tried medium settings. Not played enough to give any real judgment but the movement is rather poor - Seems really limited and dated.

Associate
I get a blank screen with a cursor and nothing else after I've clicked 'Start Game'. If I alt-tab I have no errors and the client hasn't crashed, just can't find a way around it. Drivers are the latest and the repair option downloaded a 2gig patch but I still get the same problem.

Can't find any solutions on the official forums either .. grrr

Tried getting it to start fullscreen? By default mine was set to windowed which did what you described the first time I ran it - worth a shot.

Associate
Got to play it a bit, first impressions are good in general, the whole lore side of it quite appeals for the first time in any mmo. If I would still be willing to pay a monthly sub for a game I'd probably enjoy it for a few months. But buying the client for full price and then monthly subs on top? Not any more for me, how ever good a game is.

I'll sill enjoy coming back to it in a year when the client is dirt cheap though no doubt.

edit: I really like the minimalist and slick UI and of course the skill system is preferable to just normal linear levelling like the majority of mmorpgs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried getting it to start fullscreen? By default mine was set to windowed which did what you described the first time I ran it - worth a shot.

It always defaults to fullscreen whether I use Dx9 or Dx11 launcher, I'll have another search through some forums to see if it's a known issue, cheers.

Associate
Logging for now, but reserving total judgement on the game until I have a least played this weekend.

Expected beta stuff aside, initial impressions are :

I'm not keen on the movement, but it's not a dealbreaker
I like the setting and lore which is important for me as I want to feel absorbed

Will play some more tomorrow see how I get on.

Soldato
Well I deleted and restarted, been wandering around kingsmouth. Even for a beta, it's very, very rough around the edges, so much so that I'm just getting annoyed with it all the time. Some of the stuff looks interesting, but it's a few months away from being ready to be beta tested, never mind released.

Permabanned
Not half Bad :p

Played for a couple hours last night was in a group most of the time (some buggers in the guild done everything you could in beta ..no lifers :p) quite enjoyed it, had no problems with any glitches what so ever (think lots of people have **** PC then blame the game)

Game ran decent few minor issue, like could form a cabal (tho in forming still called a guild :() but could not invite anyone in.

Mobs are pretty decent, think single players will whine no end that its to hard.

Think I still prefer MMO with a little more structure, I.E leveling, tho the one thing I felt this game had over GW2 was the characters felt more substantial.

Think this game may struggle v GW2 a bit as its not free that alone will be a major swing factor, but it will succeed IMO.

All in all not a bad evening playing, tho spent way to much time taking the **** out of each other and not enough time playing, note to myself avoid the guild today :p

Soldato
I don't think I can ever trust another FunCom game again. I liked the idea of it but then saw who it was by and I think I'll give it a wide birth.

M.

Soldato
I played for a good 2-3 hours last night with a friend and I did really enjoy it, now I'm not the biggest MMO player so I wouldn't take my word for much :p

The combat, movement and general control of the game feels a little different and odd but I'm sure it's something that you learn to get along with the more time you play. My initial impression of the control was "ACK WHAT IS THIS?" but by the end of the night I forgot it was even different :D

Now the skills, lore and gameplay mechanics are fairly different from other MMOs I have played (not many) and they aren't really explained all that well so I'm not a 100% use if I'm a DPS guy or a healer. I do kind of like that though as you're not really focusing on how the class should play and are rather playing it how you want to play. I'm limited to the early levels so far so there isn't really much of a skill tree going on at the moment.

Best part for me is the atmosphere and setting. I've never had any MMO grab me like this one in terms of the aesthetics, attention to detail and overall polish of most of the areas I have seen. They actually feel like living worlds with pubs being open for you to explore, the scale of everything feeling true to life so it all feels very unique for an MMO.

So far so good for me, but I'm not a massive MMO follower so I'm guessing this doesn't quite stack up for uniqueness with GW2 etc. Even if it is £30 or so I'm sure most people will get their £30 worth of fun out of it before GW2 comes out :p Or everyone is probably just going to be playing Diablo still...

Soldato
I enjoyed it and would play, but will not purchase at £30+ pounds and its no GW2/WOW/Anything else beater, its definately an aquired taste but its fun.

Back
Top Bottom