The Sound BlasterX AE-5 Owners' Club

Associate
Same here

Same here

Isn't changing the windows settings pointless if you are playing music via Asio as it should be the output at the same bit-rate as the original source and bypass the awfulness that the windows mixer is. Personally, i'd not want the horrible windows mixer anywhere near my music and games and would rather hear it as it was intended

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Isn't changing the windows settings pointless if you are playing music via Asio as it should be the output at the same bit-rate as the original source and bypass the awfulness that the windows mixer is. Personally, i'd not want the horrible windows mixer anywhere near my music and games and would rather hear it as it was intended

Unfortunately not always an option especially with a lot of games - I definitely notice a difference in direct mode ASIO though there is more impact to the sound though it isn't night and day different.

V F

V F

Soldato
There were so many times I was ready to click buy for the STX II but everyone complained about the state of their drivers. Let alone they haven't been updated since 2015 and it doesn't look like they ever will be. :/

Associate
I've bought this & paired it with my Z-5500 speakers - It's an improvement over my Zx but I think I really need to change my speakers with Ruark's or something to really notice.

Got an odd one in Windows - if I'm playing spotify and a Windows system sound kicks in, spotify volume goes down for a few seconds and then goes back up when Windows stops making noise - Is there a setting for this somewhere in the drivers?

Associate
I've bought this & paired it with my Z-5500 speakers - It's an improvement over my Zx but I think I really need to change my speakers with Ruark's or something to really notice.

Got an odd one in Windows - if I'm playing spotify and a Windows system sound kicks in, spotify volume goes down for a few seconds and then goes back up when Windows stops making noise - Is there a setting for this somewhere in the drivers?

I use this with my Z5500 as well and not noticed that but I always set the communications to Do Nothing when windows detects any communication activity under "Sound" might be worth trying that

Associate

Are you running with a profile with "smart Volume" or possibly "dialogue +" turned on ?
Smart volume could have this effect as it will try to level everything out or maybe it thinks the windows sounds are dialogue and turn everything else down.
Just a thought

Man of Honour
Are you running with a profile with "smart Volume" or possibly "dialogue +" turned on ?
Smart volume could have this effect as it will try to level everything out or maybe it thinks the windows sounds are dialogue and turn everything else down.
Just a thought

Good thinking - I hadn't thought Windows sounds could have that affect due to those settings. I mostly avoid things like "smart volume".

Soldato

Having the same issue, have gone to Sound>Communications and chosen to do nothing when windows detects activity but Spotify is still lowering the volume when i get a Hangout notification or similar :/

Soldato
Taking the load off the CPU was one of the main advantages of a sound card many years ago in the days of single core CPUs. Sound cards will do that today just as they did many years ago, but with CPU cores speed and processing power exploding compared to what it was in the days of single core, the gains are barely noticeable.

Soldato
OP
Still loving this card.

But I'm thinking *again* of building a new machine. Kinda worried the ae-5 will be obsolete with all these new top tier mobos I'm looking at.

Back
Top Bottom