The state of TV adverts today

Associate
TV adverts nowadays are mostly so depressing. They consist of funeral arrangments / life insurance etc (who wants to be constantly reminded they're going to die?), animal cruelty/child cruelty/cancer charity appeals etc (great causes but as someone who already regularly donates to such charities I don't need to be constantly reminded of these horrors of life). I'm old enough to remember the adverts of years gone by, they weren't on these subjects and were often very entertaining, watching the adverts was enjoyable. Nowadays i always turn over when the adverts are on or mute them. Just needed to vent.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always hated them and modern day marketing as a whole. Marketers have so much info on what makes us tick these days that they aim adverts very specifically towards these human nature triggers and flood it with the thing they are trying to shove down your throat.

For example, Ring as a company heavily weigh thier advertising towards fear, scare tactics and threats towards your family and properties. So much so it should be made illegal ironically.

So much advertising is like this now that it makes me rage on the rare occasion that I'm unfortunate enough to see them.

Thankfully I very rarely watch live TV and use streaming services and you tube Vanced to avoid it but it's pretty criminal the tactics that they employ these days.

Marketers are free to push whatever buttons they like no matter the audience unfortunately.

Soldato
This is the most predictable answer to this thread possible. In fact so predictable most won't even bother to type it :rolleyes:
It's totally true and seems to have entirely bypassed the OPs cognitive function. Maybe we link him to some day time ads about retirement homes.

Soldato
It's totally true and seems to have entirely bypassed the OPs cognitive function. Maybe we link him to some day time ads about retirement homes.
True or not I think we can read between the lines here can't we.

Advertising is desperate and out of control at the moment. Maybe I've added to the original post but I believe it's along the same vane of thought

Associate
one of the highlights of the festive season for me is seeing the advert featuring the deaf dumb child that's been a staple of uk tv for least 10 Christmases, don't feel festive at all until I've seen it

Associate
OP
You get old person adverts because you watch old person tv
i watch mtv a lot and still see some of these types of depressing adverts, is mtv old person tv? the fact is the subject of adverts has changed massively over the years.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am a old codger and when ads come on I shout at wife to kill the sound - it doesn't seem to register with her.
Most of the ads are puke inducing - Who dances around the kitchen when they do something nice - Who's wife gives a great big toothy smile when they put meal on table or whatever.
It is also obvious no one in a ad for DIY has done any

I do hate ads and it does annoy that I have to pay a licence to watch this c rap. As for signing up for streaming the wife would be struggling -it's bad enough with smart TV and Humax box.

I record F1 just so I can fast forward.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It's the banks 'we are down to earth, honest' ones that make me laugh.

No only down to earth but what you don't realise is that banks just have your best interests at heart. Like a friend really.

They are there for you through thick and thin. Watching you grow through the good times (and the bad). A shoulder to cry on and someone to share those special moments with.
- insert heartless global bank that would happily see you homeless if it made them a few extra quid.

Soldato
I hit mute and have been doing for 30 years, it's as if we're back in the late 70s/early 80s and you have to walk over to the TV to change channel or turn the sound down.

Soldato
I'm sure ads used to be funnier than they are now
Oh definitely. Adds these days are cringey, weird or just downright stupid.
There seems to be loads of ads these days for products for women who either have heavy periods, dry fannies or **** themselves
I bet there’s at least one person on these forums going to be turned on by that sentence!!

Back
Top Bottom