The Surge

Soldato
I can't see a thread on this one and to be honest until last week it was not on my radar.

However, I got it today and it is really good, it's in a way similar to Dark Souls but set in the future and a little more arcadey. It's got PS4 Pro supporr and really looks good.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it slipper under the radar.

Soldato
Also picked this up today and im really enjoying it, love targeting certain limbs to chop off and collect the attached weapons/armour/tech, crafting seems good and the level design is nice. Difficulty is about right for me too.

Associate
Played around 2 hours last night and beat the first boss.

Really enjoying it, the crafting seems good having to dismember limbs to get the right upgrades.

I will get another blast at it tonight but would definitely recommend it so far.

Soldato
I picked it up on the Xbox, so far put about 4/5 hours Started as the Rhino gear and I'm using the PAX blade, love the level design and it looks pretty good too, I do struggle a bit with some enemies though, those dual wield guys are a right PITA, so far in the second area i seem to be farming so i can upgrade and move on as it gets pretty tough.

Associate
I picked this up today. I'm hearing good things about it and being a PS4 pro owner, it's a game I wanted to try.

I liked Dark Souls but boy it got tiresome dying so often but I hope the acarde feel of The Surge makes me stick to it more than DS. I like the idea of a exo suit super human with big weapons!!

Any tips to start with?

Soldato
I picked this up today. I'm hearing good things about it and being a PS4 pro owner, it's a game I wanted to try.

I liked Dark Souls but boy it got tiresome dying so often but I hope the acarde feel of The Surge makes me stick to it more than DS. I like the idea of a exo suit super human with big weapons!!

Any tips to start with?

Prepare to die a lot, I have spent more time in one area on this than any Souls game, Some of the enemies are a right pain to beat, I'm still in the 2nd area and haven't really progressed much as its so dam confusing to navigate

Soldato
OP
i think the first area was very easy to navigate, the second area though is much more confusing. There also seemed to be a bit of a step up in difficulty when you got to the second area.

Either way though a really good game, I just need some time off work to play it :)

Soldato
11 attempts tonight in a row on the second boss and still haven't beat it, the animations on this suck, you start swinging but because it's a two hit you can't dodge and you get hit.

Also the lock on system sucks, constantly changing my camera angle so I can't see.

I'm already level 38 with twin rig level 10 by the time I beat it I won't be able to level any higher.

The difficulty has no progression like DS games it's either rock hard or hard.

Soldato
11 attempts tonight in a row on the second boss and still haven't beat it, the animations on this suck, you start swinging but because it's a two hit you can't dodge and you get hit.

Also the lock on system sucks, constantly changing my camera angle so I can't see.

I'm already level 38 with twin rig level 10 by the time I beat it I won't be able to level any higher.

The difficulty has no progression like DS games it's either rock hard or hard.

Hit the same wall, the second boss has a ridiculous amount of health and can one shot you in his second mode :(

Found myself blaming the game too often for bad collision detection or poor design like the fact enemies detect you as soon as you start an attack. It means that as soon as you start to swing a slow weapon they turn around instantly and hit you before your attack lands which is just broken.

I've finished all the soulsborne games and never felt I was being cheated but you get that pretty often in this.

A real shame as the limb-targeting and exoskeleton stuff is pretty neat but it's just not much fun when you feel you're fighting the game rather than the enemies.

I'll slog on for a bit more but can see this being traded in soon whilst I can still get a few quid for it.

Soldato
I started again with the agile kit, made the whole first area without dieing once, will make my way through the second area again another night.

It does feel cheap some of the times, I played and completed ds2sofs ds3 and bloodborne and never felt as annoyed as this second boss.

Associate
not played dark souls however i gave bloodborne a bash and gave up after about 6 hours and never got anywhere past the beginning where u leave the house.

im guessing if i gave up with bloodborne then this may not be a game for me???

Soldato
Play the souls games first, they're better games by some distance. That said, they are all pretty tough! In the souls games you can summon help though which you can't in The Surge.

Traded my copy in this morning, just wasn't enjoying it. Only lost a fiver though so could be worse :)

Associate
Play the souls games first, they're better games by some distance. That said, they are all pretty tough! In the souls games you can summon help though which you can't in The Surge.

Traded my copy in this morning, just wasn't enjoying it. Only lost a fiver though so could be worse :)
im not sure i would enjoy the dark souls games as i can get frustrated too easily and either give up or annoy my oldest son and he then ends up laying half the game for me.

Back
Top Bottom