The Thread that I can't decide a name for.

Associate
Okay, some people have asked me to start a dedicated thread to all the unique cars that I come across in my line of work - I've never done any reviews of cars or infact anything before and usually only have my iPhone to hand so the quality of the pictures isn't the best.

I'll update the thread periodically with some of the more interesting cars that I deal with.

First of all is a 1920's Silver Ghost, It's considered to be one of the best Rolls Royces ever.

photoyrv.jpg

Sorry for the angle of the photo but the space was tight either side so I couldn't get a better shot, As you can see the paintwork on this example is fairly shoddy - I'll explain why later on.
There is a possibility that we may have the car repainted as to be quite honest white really doesn't suit it.

The car came over from Italy last week where it had been previously owned buy an elderly gentleman who died and his children left it in a barn and didn't run it for 10 years! It's yet to be run but I'm told that it shouldn't need very much doing to it if anything as it's such a robust engine.

The car isn't bad overall but just needs lots of little things doing before sale.

photo1duk.jpg

The reservoir in the picture above was in awful condition (Unfortunately I lost the 'before' picture) I spent the best part of 2 hours polishing this piece up and I think it came out fairly well although when I took the picture I hadn't finished hence the smears.

Anyway I'll continue this thread at somepoint with another car that may or may not interest you, I hope its of some interest to someone.

That one isn't in great condition, there is quite a lot of rust on the wheels and around various bits of the body and chassis due to the neglect it received after 10 years in a barn, I'll try and record a video of the engine run this week and also We're picking up a Ferrari California tomorrow! I think it's a hard top although I'm not 100% sure, expect pictures soon !

What is it you work as?

Saves me trawling through old threads trying to find the answer.

My uncle runs a Vintage car business specializing but not limited to pre war Rolls Royces and Bentleys and I work for him doing whatever (Picking up cars, Viewing cars, Buying & Selling and all other associated things)

Great looking car. I wonder how many more gems like this are sitting around in the back of a barn. Is this the most interesting car you’ve come across?

At the moment it probably is the most interesting yes, but I'm sure something else will pop up one day! And in reply to the above post around £200k

Just a Small update - The new showroom in Oxfordshire has now been painted (I still haven't got all of the paint off of me!) Expect to see some photos when all the cars have been moved over and when I get my new iPhone 4s.

Also we picked up a Bentley continental GT today (53 plate but early 2004) with 22k miles and 1 lady owner!!!

Also here is a pic of a car that I took to wedding fair in St Albans yesterday.

It's a 1961 Phantom V touring limousine with bodywork by James Young, the Car has quite a history of owners.
It was commissioned by a Russian Princess Nina (I can't recall the second name) who Died two years later, then it passed hands to the George Raft who used it as his car for when he Visited London.
The car really has to be seen to be appreciated, it's HUGE!
Also when I first started it I didn't think the engine had started, the starter is quite loud then the engine is inaudible afterwards, quite amazing..

photoxr.jpg

Last edited:
Another Slight update, Moved half the cars into the showroom today, iPhone is playing games at the moment so no pics I'm afraid but i'm pretty sure the pictures will make a few :eek: faces

Also the one (albeit very bad) picture but this is my steed for tomorrow setting off at 5am :(

319246_10150867469340607_557590606_21327772_166352913_n.jpg

It's a Flying spur 09 plate with just 6k miles!

Had a big day today, set out at 5am for breakfast at Lews, followed by a viewing of a very very interesting car, up to Sible headingham to photograph a Bentley which went wonderfully well with out new camera (D7000) then up to Leicester to view a Continental GTC (07 plate 11k miles 1 lady owner, it's being sold as she's getting a brand new one!) we're not listing the car. Then off to oxford for a Wraith veiwing, I'm 99% sure the car was sold there and then but the buyer's ringing back in the morning to say yay or nay.

The very interesting car in question is this

301102_10150870038335607_557590606_21342471_1430045977_n.jpg

A De Deon bouton, it's being readied for the London to Brighton run early next month, I'm going to be driving an X5 with trailer incase things go badly.

I can't remember the exact year but it's pretty early as it qualifies for the run.

The car has only 6hp so it's pretty slow with 4 people inboard, interestingly the car doesn't have an accelerator, it has a decelerator! also it only has 2 gears.

The Continental flying spur was an amazingly fast car to drive, when I got onto an open road I put my foot about half down and I was pushing a ton within seconds, it felt like I was doing around 50!, putting the car into semi automatic and using the paddles to change gear gave stunning performance, it flew along!

Thanks for the replies, Another update today, I had great fun!

The Bentley 3 Litre was moved from storage over the weekend into the showroom to take pride of place, we had a prospective buyer over today who said he'd be turning up in an 'old ferrari' which turned out to be nothing less than a 250 GT SWB, no pics sorry but it was a B e autiful car!!

anyway on with the pics (I also have a short video of us out driving in this if anybodys interested?

The Bentley was built in 1922 and was originally a racing car, today we got it north of 70mph! I'm not sure how accurate the speedo is but it certainly was going well and it was freezing, the brakes are somewhat terrible though.
img0025eo.jpg

img0024ht.jpg

img0023rf.jpg

img0013yf.jpg

img0014rt.jpg

This is a Phantom I that we have at the moment
img0015tj.jpg

And a Phantom II
img0016jp.jpg

img0017fp.jpg

The nearest car is a Phantom V that I posted about earlier, the next one Is a Phantom III that will be appearing in the Movie 'Hyde Park and Hudson' Next year and the one after that is a Ghost.

img0019bs.jpg

Finally My Ride for today, A silver Shadow II with only 34k Miles!!

All the photos were taken with my New iPhone 4s, I think the quality isn't that bad for a camera phone..

Wow loving that Range Rover - is it for sale? :)

The cream one? Afraid not, It's not one of our cars, all I know about it is that its being stored for someone by the owner of the barn, The green one is one owner from new with around 130k on the clock, its a bit dirty inside and the outside could do with some TLC but its a great car.

Yeah the cream one - Dad's after a 2 door one, it's Sahara Yellow or something like that. He's got 2 already, wants one in THAT colour though.

Serious note, speak to the guy and ask if he'd be interested, everyone has a price :)

I will do next time I pop down, Don't hold your breath though, The guy's had it for a long time and hasn't shown any sign of wanting rid of it unfortunately.

you have an intresting job, whats the pay roll like?

Basic pay isn't really anything to write home about, but I get all expenses paid, fuel being the thing I spent most of my money on when I had my previous job.

The real money is to be had selling the cars, the markup on some of the vintage cars is crazy!

Sorry! I didn't recognise it in that picture! It looks a lot lighter in that picture than it does in real life.

Here is the description from our site:

1923,1950 Bentley Special. William Arnold Body.
Registration number FFK382

A magnificent car with real presence on the road. This special combines the best of vintage Bentley wind in the hair motoring combined with a brand new straight eight B80 engine & more modern mechanics for ease of driving. It is fast, powerful, easy to drive & a pleasure to spend time in. Steering is light by WO standards. The Mark VI gear box easy to use with synchromesh on 2nd, 3rd & 4th. The rear axle is geared for very long legged running with the engine ticking over at cruising speeds.

Restoration that took place over the past 3 years involving the best in the field, orchestrated by David Styles (member of BDC).

* The original body from William Arnold of Manchester, was found intact and was utilized because of its graceful lines and practicality of been a 4-seater open tourer. It was originally fitted to a 3.0 litre Bentley chassis.

* The Mark VI chassis was stripped to bare metal, powder coated and extended to accommodate a brand new B-80 Straight 8 engine with 4 SU carburettors, in a similar manner to the Le Mans replica by Racing Green that they are so famous for. The end result here is a symphony of performance and comfort.

* A comprehensive refurbishment of all moving parts, suspension, springs, braking system, tank and petrol lines, gear and clutch and the new motor were all done to the highest quality by Racing Green. New hubs, wire wheels and tyres were also fitted.

* Refurbishment of front seats, Auster windscreen, tonneau covers, electrical and driving lights, were all done to the highest quality by the famous James Pearce Restorations - Billingshurst.

All the documentation regarding the history and restoration work of the Bentley is available.

The Bentley has just finished rallying at the Isle of Wight & southern England without a hitch. The engine starts on the button. The car drives, brakes and shifts with extreme ease. The new engine has just finished being ‘run in’ and the car is ready for extended trouble free use.

Some more photo's here that I took last week, It's our storage unit near Marlow.

I know the pictures aren't great but it's not exactly spacious inside.

If anyone wants more info about any of the cars please say...there are quite a few
interesting ones in here such as the Daimler (The big green one) and the Jag

img0026q.jpg

img0034okx.jpg

img0032ro.jpg

img0036qn.jpg

img0039ou.jpg

img0040as.jpg

img0027cu.jpg

img0028kg.jpg

img0029bo.jpg

I want a Darracq (like in Genevieve) - have you ever come across one of those?

I haven't actually come across a Darracq but we haven't been looking :p

Seriously though if you're after one send me a message via trust and we can talk.

Sorry for the lack of updates, Jono I infact saw Genevieve today in London! no pictures though as it was a bit akward, I'll try and grab one tomorrow, also I've seen another Darracq in the past week, if you're seriously interested in one get in contact.

I'm taking our support car to the London to Brighton vetran run tommorow, expect many pics and maybe even videos, also we just today picked up quite possibly the most exciting car (in my opinion) yet, Pics/possibly video to follow!

Not bad for a daily hack :D

Side note - any news on that RR? :)

It's such a contrast, I was driven around hyde park in a 1902 De Dion Bouton early this morning!

Also I did reply previously but the owner isn't looking to shift it at the moment, sorry!

Back
Top Bottom