The thread where bazzabear asked loads of dumb questions about his GoPro

Soldato
I've just got given a Hero3+ black edition for my birthday, which was extremely kind of my wife!

Now I just need to work out how to go about using it, hopefully with the help of you guys. :)

First stupid questions on getting it out of the box (and apologies if I'll find these answers within minutes of starting to read the manual):

Quick start has me charging it before any use. But no indication of how long for. I've attached it (and the remote) to my computer. How long about is a full charge going to take? Do they both indicate in any way when they are fully charged?

One of its first uses will be on holiday next week, so I'll be struggling to plug it into a computer to recharge. It's only supplied with a USB cable, does anyone know what amperage plug socket converter I will need? Don't want to blow the thing by plugging it into something wrongly specced.

Thanks in advance!

Man of Honour
Don't know about knowing when it's fully charged but as it's charged by USB then use whatever USB charger you like the only issue with using a low amperage one is that it will charge slower but you won't do any damage.

Soldato
OP
Oh, that was the other thing. There's a bewildering array of accessories in the box, and I can't find a list of what they are.

There's a spare back for the housing - but with holes in it. Obviously then this would not be waterproof! But is there any specific reason why you'd want to use one with holes instead of one without?

There's also a little white rubber widget of some kind.

(I have just answered my own question about the charge though - the OSD tells you, and there's no problem with turning it on before it's up there.)

Soldato
OP
Don't know about knowing when it's fully charged but as it's charged by USB then use whatever USB charger you like the only issue with using a low amperage one is that it will charge slower but you won't do any damage.
But what about using a higher amperage one? Using one of those plugs that adapts to USB, is there a risk of doing anything?

I don't have any idea what the correct spec is (although the remote is labelled as 5V 500mA, the GoPro itself has no label) so no idea whether I'd be going higher or lower!

EDIT: Just had a thought, and checked the battery. The rating is on there rather than the GoPro - it's 5V, 1A.

As I understand things, as long as I don't overdo the voltage, I'll be fine. A device will only draw the amperage it'll draw, so no worries over-doing that. Am I right?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But what about using a higher amperage one? Using one of those plugs that adapts to USB, is there a risk of doing anything?

I don't have any idea what the correct spec is (although the remote is labelled as 5V 500mA, the GoPro itself has no label) so no idea whether I'd be going higher or lower!

EDIT: Just had a thought, and checked the battery. The rating is on there rather than the GoPro - it's 5V, 1A.

As I understand things, as long as I don't overdo the voltage, I'll be fine. A device will only draw the amperage it'll draw, so no worries over-doing that. Am I right?

That's correct it'll only draw as much amperage as it needs but too much voltage would make it go pop.

Associate
Oh, that was the other thing. There's a bewildering array of accessories in the box, and I can't find a list of what they are.

There's a spare back for the housing - but with holes in it. Obviously then this would not be waterproof! But is there any specific reason why you'd want to use one with holes instead of one without?

There's also a little white rubber widget of some kind.

(I have just answered my own question about the charge though - the OSD tells you, and there's no problem with turning it on before it's up there.)

The spare back is the skeleton back, the sound quality is a bit better compared to the fully closed one (but not as good as the frame case or just the camera on its own). The white rubber widget is for the quick release mount, it stops the flat one (not the J-hook one) from unlatching from the sticky mount. Just a bit of extra security.

Soldato
OP
Thanks very much!

I think I know what you mean about the widget - it fits in the same place the little black throwaway bit is when it's in its original packaging?

I'll have to have another play around when I get home tonight.

Associate
Be aware that the remote has a tendency to turn on after it is fully charged and discharge itself. From flat it think it takes about 1:20 to charge completely. Once charged, unplug it, wait for it to turn itself on and turn it off!

Associate
Any USB charger will charge a go-pro. All USB chargers will be 5V. The current is controlled by the device up to the maximum of the charger.

When I go away climbing my mates regularly steal my external battery for go-pros which charges at up to 3A!

Back
Top Bottom