The "toy" for Christmas 2011

Soldato
Just doing a bit of research, trying to plan out some Christmas presents for this year and it seems like the iPad 2 is on top of a lot of kids Christmas lists this year.

Along with those weird Bakugan things.

I remember the good old days when the top of my list was a Buzz Lightyear and a Green Ranger Dragon Dagger Flute.

So what will be at the top of your list for 2011?

Top of mine so far has got to be a new mobo/processor bundle or something for the car

Soldato
OP
what parent's are going to daft enough to buy there kids ipad 2's

Bakugan = toy
ipad 2 = not a toy

You say that but I worked at HMV last Christmas and the amount parents were spenting on kids was £500+. No wonder the January dept is billions.

My parents used to set a total cost of £100 for all my presents and I considered that good lol. Oh how things have changed.

FYI, I'm 24 and I still make a list, I love Christmas

Soldato
OP
I remember getting a massive trainset for Christmas one year, me & my dad spent all day putting it together, the station, the sidings, the bridges. Those were the days, It's all boxed up in the attic, you can bet after my PC, that the first thing that will be coming with me in my new house

Soldato
OP
My mum ends up making me make a list. And she badgers me constantly to tell her what I want from around October onwards. Wont be long now before the "What am I getting you for xmas then?" begins again.

Honestly I'm more concerned about what I'm getting her. Parents are so hard to shop for.

Unless they have specific hobbies/interests, for example, my mum loves Twilight and my dad likes Real Ale. So they're easy to buy for

The farm toys were awesome. Being given a new tractor for my birthday was possibly the best thing ever at that age! :D

No way, the Red Combine Harvester or the Bailer fronted by a John Deere

Soldato
OP
Don't you think second hand toys are a little cheap for Christmas?

I've still got about 3 years of Lynx and shower gels left over from previous Christmases (It's not that I don't shower, I just get an absolute load from my girlfriends parents. That and Jack Daniels to add to my collection.

My girlfriends dad is the worst person to buy for, he's diabetic, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't wash, doesn't read. All he does is watch football on TV. I tried getting him football trivia books but he doesn't read. He's impossible to buy for

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lol definitely agree with that Morgoth, let their imagination do the work.

My neighbours kids are under 10 years old and they both got iPhones for Christmas last year WHY?! Probably not the correct thread for bitching but honestly, would why a kid need a mobile phone at all? Aren't ID chips enough?

I didn't get my first mobile phone till I was about 15. Although looking back now, I have no idea how I used to meet up with friends before I had a mobile phone lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Christmas is about family and togetherness (once you remove the religious crap)

For most people, they love seeing the look on their kids/parents/partners face when they unwrap their presents, the actual present is almost insignificant.

I'm thinking of getting my girlfriend an iPad 2 since it's cheaper than the camera stuff she actually wants, either that or sex toys lol

Soldato
OP
Does she actually want an iPad though? Would not giving her a "we can go shopping to Jessops" voucher or something not mean that you can put your chunk toward the kit she wants and let her pay the rest?

She wants a replacement for her old laptop, I'm thinking if I trade in her laptop, even if I only get £100 for it, thats £100 off an iPad

Soldato
OP
anyone with comments like "oh its dirty "flea market eww gross" comments need to get a grip

I think we need to state the difference between 2nd hand, used and as you put it "flea market"

2nd hand/Used does not neccessarily mean it's chipped and broken. I bought 2 iPhones as used off ebay and they were still in their boxes, still had the screen protectors on. They only think they didn't have was the wrapping on the outside of the box, big deal.

Flea market way, I'd expect a few rips, tears, chipped paint, scratches on something, however I bought a leather jacket from a "flea market" and although its a bit scratched it was dirt cheap

Soldato
OP
I think the stigma with second hand isdue to the fact that when I think of second hand, I think out-dated/broken hammydown. I know thats not the case for everyone but thats what springs to mind with me

Soldato
OP
IMO nobody "needs" a tablet, I think they're pointless, especially when you consider capacities/cost against a netbook.

BTW, everything you listed, movies, music etc... an iPod Touch can do, a lot cheaper, and a Desktop PC can do, a lot cheaper!

Soldato
OP
If he already has an iPod Touch, why the hell would he need an iPad as well? especially when you can connect an iPod Touch to a HDTV for £35.

It's not a case of him wanting it, does he NEED it? IMO it's justifiable if he has a requirement for one e.g. he doesn't have a portable device like an iPod or a laptop already.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I want the Lego Millenium Falcon.

I want the Lego Star Destroyer, and my sister's bf wants the Lego Death Star. We're going to rule the (Lego) Galaxy!

I got the mini Star Destroyer, Millenium Falcon, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Tie Bomber and a Snow Speeder.

Just the Death Star and an AT-AT to complete my collection.

I would love the limited edition Falcon and Star Destroyer but they're about £300+ and the Star Destroyer is huge

Nobody 'needs' most consumer items, including net books and iPods so that line of argument is pretty pointless in itself.

Not true, I bought a netbook because I needed a way of doing uni work when I wasn't at uni, so I could work on the train or at home or inbetween lectures. That sounds like a justifiable reason to buy one to me.

Just like, why do some people need 2 terabyte hard drives? to store all of their media and photos of course, seems justifiable to me. But when you already own an iPod, Desktop and a Netbook how can anybody justify buying an iPad aswell?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just how I've been raised, if I can't justify buying something to myself, then I don't buy it, I was able to justify a a £200 graphics card, because my current one wouldn't play Crysis at all. Simple.

Soldato
OP
I presume she has another laptop to use for her photography? I wouldn't be best pleased if someone sold my computer and gave me a basic tablet in exchange that i couldn't do anything photographic with!

No she does all her photography work on my PC since it's faster and can handle CS5 better than the 1 her parents have

Soldato
OP
Indeed, my boy wants to watch movies and play games and surf the net on a bigger more convenient screen while retaining the portability and intuitive design of his iPod Touch so he needs an iPad.

See, your argument is pointless.

It's not pointless, it's just how I live my life, it's only my opinion, or did I forget what the point of a forum is?

Soldato
OP
No it is pointless assuming your justification is universal to everyone else, not that you want to justify your actions, only that you are not accepting that others have different justifications.

I never said that my justification/opinion is correct. I was merely voicing my opinion on the subject. It's up to you if you agree/disagree

Back
Top Bottom