The "toy" for Christmas 2011

Soldato
Just doing a bit of research, trying to plan out some Christmas presents for this year and it seems like the iPad 2 is on top of a lot of kids Christmas lists this year.

Along with those weird Bakugan things.

I remember the good old days when the top of my list was a Buzz Lightyear and a Green Ranger Dragon Dagger Flute.

So what will be at the top of your list for 2011?

Top of mine so far has got to be a new mobo/processor bundle or something for the car

Soldato
I quite fancy another chiminea for the summer
I have 2 already but another would be much used too

for my boy ( 4 ) im thinking scalectrix, or rc helicopter ( for young people )

Soldato
I remember one year when I was a kid the hot christmas toy was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures. My mum and dad queued for ages outside Argos and other places to get me all 4 turtles and a few other characters for my xmas. Bless em <3

This year I honestly dont have anything I want. Didnt ask for anything for my birthday this year either. I tend to buy myself most things I need before waiting for someone else to get me it as a present. Probably just some blurays that I'll hold off on buying in order to give them something to get me.

Soldato
My birthday is actually christmas day, hurrah!

Oddly enough I'm not actually bothered about presents and theres never anything I want 'for' christmas so in that respect I usually have everything I want by then heh.. which isn't generally a lot as I'm happy with what I've got.

Though yesterday I said to my gf I thought of something you can buy me for Xmas, SWTOR - which then lead me down a path of other games that I want but I can never think of anything but games that I want and as it comes out before xmas I'll probably have bought it already haha.

Maybe a new car!? or perhaps a CD player/speakers/ipod connection for it instead of the 6changer that comes with a 14 year old car heh.

Or maybe a cheapy graphics card for my server (thats all it needs to run :()

Just dont get excited for it anymore I'd much rather they spent the money on themselves or others who need it or buy my son something.

Or a new job! I hate my job! Thank god for gf having gallstones, gets me time off like today!

Soldato
Back in the day all I ever wanted was Lego or Britains farm toys. Scalextric and remote control cars were great too.

Kids nowadays are into their gadgets so young - silly parents for buying them really. I guess if you want your kids to always be glued to a screen and have very little social interaction then they maybe are not so bad.

Associate
This year I honestly dont have anything I want. Didnt ask for anything for my birthday this year either. I tend to buy myself most things I need before waiting for someone else to get me it as a present. Probably just some blurays that I'll hold off on buying in order to give them something to get me.

You're 30 years old
does your mum ask or do you make a list?

I haven't asked for anything specific for at-least 10 years

Soldato
OP
what parent's are going to daft enough to buy there kids ipad 2's

Bakugan = toy
ipad 2 = not a toy

You say that but I worked at HMV last Christmas and the amount parents were spenting on kids was £500+. No wonder the January dept is billions.

My parents used to set a total cost of £100 for all my presents and I considered that good lol. Oh how things have changed.

FYI, I'm 24 and I still make a list, I love Christmas

Soldato
Back in the day all I ever wanted was Lego or Britains farm toys. Scalextric and remote control cars were great too.

Kids nowadays are into their gadgets so young - silly parents for buying them really. I guess if you want your kids to always be glued to a screen and have very little social interaction then they maybe are not so bad.

In all fairness thats only because the technology is so much more freely available now than it was even 20 years ago. When I was a kid average people on the street didnt own a mobile phone for example. But I still had early computers like a Commadore 64 and then the first consoles like the NES, SNES, gameboy. Kids have always loved electronics and gadgets. If ipad 2's had been available when I was a kid, you can bet your bum I would have wanted one. Probably would have got one too.

Associate
Id still like that green ranger dragon dagger tbh!

I dont really get presents any more! Haven't really in years apart from the girl but as shes now an ex girl ill be looking at opening nothing this year but this is fine for me. Im not one in need of material gifts for the holidays!
Im happy with some good grub, time off work, relaxation and hopefully somewhere not on my own to spend it all!

Kids these days are spoilt rotten with gadgets! I cant say id ever give a kid an iPad!

*i lie, if someone wants to donate an old gameboy my way id be happy playing that! =D ha!

Soldato
OP
I remember getting a massive trainset for Christmas one year, me & my dad spent all day putting it together, the station, the sidings, the bridges. Those were the days, It's all boxed up in the attic, you can bet after my PC, that the first thing that will be coming with me in my new house

Soldato
You're 30 years old
does your mum ask or do you make a list?

My mum ends up making me make a list. And she badgers me constantly to tell her what I want from around October onwards. Wont be long now before the "What am I getting you for xmas then?" begins again.

Honestly I'm more concerned about what I'm getting her. Parents are so hard to shop for.

Soldato

The farm toys were awesome. Being given a new tractor for my birthday was possibly the best thing ever at that age! :D

I remember getting a massive trainset for Christmas one year, me & my dad spent all day putting it together, the station, the sidings, the bridges. Those were the days, It's all boxed up in the attic, you can bet after my PC, that the first thing that will be coming with me in my new house

My parents asked me the other day if I still wanted them to keep all the Brio trainset parts they've kept for me for the last 20 odd years, I think they're trying to drop a hint for me to move it all into my loft instead of theirs.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My mum ends up making me make a list. And she badgers me constantly to tell her what I want from around October onwards. Wont be long now before the "What am I getting you for xmas then?" begins again.

Honestly I'm more concerned about what I'm getting her. Parents are so hard to shop for.

Unless they have specific hobbies/interests, for example, my mum loves Twilight and my dad likes Real Ale. So they're easy to buy for

The farm toys were awesome. Being given a new tractor for my birthday was possibly the best thing ever at that age! :D

No way, the Red Combine Harvester or the Bailer fronted by a John Deere

Soldato
I wouldnt say all the gadgets make you socially recluse.. if anything with facebook and other similar it makes people more sociable.. but going 'out' and being sociable maybe another thing ;)

Soldato
luckily I don't have kids, else it would mean a trip out to the coal merchants on the way home ;)

EDIT: My brother got a Buzz Lightyear one year for crimbo, I remember being insanely jealous.

Best present was blatantly Tracy Island - my old man bought it for us as that's what he grew up with and couldn't get the purchase past mum any other way. He played with it more than we did :D

Back
Top Bottom