The transition from GCSE to AS/A Level Maths

Associate
Best of luck to you, but whatever you do, don't drop economics a level in favour of business studies. Anything that ends in "studies" is not an A level worth having.

You don't suggest from your posts that you are great at maths. You do realise that an economics degree (a finance degree is a watered-down economics degree, barely worth doing) is difficult applied maths right? And that an economics degree is the best way into finance (maths, physics and chemistry being the other good degrees) a watered-down "finance studies" course won't get you as far as you are hoping.

Sorry, but physics and chemistry being better routes into finance than accounting or business finance? Oh, you're 21.

Associate
Did GCSE maths and statistics in 1 year. Top of the class and got A in both without working. Took up AS level maths with the same complacency and well.. I found myself standing on the bridge with Gandalf " YOU SHALL NOT PASS". Got a C and left it there! What i did learn however is that for maths AS/Alevel if you wish to succeed you need to be doing the work where as my other subjects - History / Philosophy and English Lit i could be very complacent and just absorb information and still get reasonable grades.

My friend who was exactly the same as me worked hard doing all the maths questions and got his A* at Alevel with ease so i guess if i had any advice you need to be disciplined with Maths more so then other Alevels so long as you work at it you will do well

Soldato
Economics is watered down Financial mathematics. Econmics should award BAs not BScs.

Sociology is watered down psychology.
Psychology is watered down biology.
Biology is watered down chemistry.
Chemistry is watered down physics.
Physics is watered down maths.

Everything is watered down. :p

Soldato
Sorry, but physics and chemistry being better routes into finance than accounting or business finance? Oh, you're 21.

Yes. You're much more likely to get on a graduate scheme with a top firm with a pure science degree than a "finance business management accountancy studies" degree.

My being 21 is my advantage in knowing about this stuff. I'm the one who is in his 4th year at his second top university surrounded by people who are going into finance, with science degrees.

Oh you're a "management consultant". lol.
Edit: no you aren't. You're reading economics at Durham. The Durham bit explains the massive chip on your shoulder, but surely reading economics means that you realise that this is a more desirable course than finance or business studies?! Your viewpoint makes no sense.

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato

Maths is watered down Philosophy though, although not the current brand of Philosophy taught at universities.

Physics sometimes go ahead and do stuff without the mathematical proof. The scale of experiments and the materials available to conduct experiments often leaves maths trying to catch up and show why an experiment did do such and such. Physics is still an application of maths though.

Soldato

I don't think it does each subject justice to say 'watered down'. They're all incredibly useful in their own right. I think it's better to say 'applied', but even that is a gross oversimplification.

Associate
Yes. You're much more likely to get on a graduate scheme with a top firm with a pure science degree than a "finance business management accountancy studies" degree.

My being 21 is my advantage in knowing about this stuff. I'm the one who is in his 4th year at his second top university surrounded by people who are going into finance, with science degrees.

Oh right, I guess J P Morgan are more interested in candidates with strong knowledge of molecular physics than econometrics these days.

Please don't give out **** poor advice, an Oxbridge degree in Physics isn't the answer to everything.

One

One

Soldato

Oh you're a "management consultant". lol.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Man of Honour
And then there is geography, which is part sociology, part psychology, part biology, part chemistry, part physics, part maths, part philosophy and part art *frantically colours in*.

Associate
Well my experience was that I found the switch quite hard. Only got a C in A-level maths. Looking back on it I actually found the switch to degree level easier due to how it was taught. I breezed GCSE, Sat it early and got an A, however I thought I'd doss my A-levels and paid the price somewhat. I feel how it is taught has a massive bearing on how it is picked up too (I went to a pretty dire sixth form). When I started my degree I found they went through all the A-level stuff in the first term to bring us back up to speed. They managed in three months what my sixth form tutors had failed to do in 2 years which says it all really.

So should you do it? That's for you to decide really. If the staff are any good and you're willing to put the effort in I see no reason why you cannot get it. A-level still includes a lot of stuff that the old "practice makes perfect" methodology still applies to. If you struggle with some of the concepts etc. you may fall flat on C3 and C4 but should still be able to get through on just the other modules even if you mess those two up, hell I did. I think it's a valuable A-level to have and would recommend it. Don't let the fact you're only getting Bs put you off. I only got a C at A-level and that was scraping it too, so if we was to apply the logic of poor past results meaning you should not progress with it I wouldn't be sitting here with a 2:1 in maths, be working in a maths related role in an area that most would love to work within. Helps if you enjoy the subject but there is no reason at all why you can't do it and if you're looking to go into finance I'd advise that you do and put the effort in (it may help in your other subjects too).

Soldato
Oh right, I guess J P Morgan are more interested in candidates with strong knowledge of molecular physics than econometrics these days.

Please don't give out **** poor advice, an Oxbridge degree in Physics isn't the answer to everything.

As a student who studied mechanical engineering, JPM, Barclays, Lehman and others all attended engineering careers fairs at my university. They said people with science and maths based degress can think out of the box and were suited for their organisation. (BTW I'm not arguing for or against your statements above! :) Merely telling you my experience)

Soldato

The fact that you don't see why someone with a degree in physics is desirable to financial firms shows that you know nothing about this. So there's no point in trying to discuss this with you.

I also have not mentioned econometrics, nobody has except for you. Nor did I say anything about Oxbridge degrees in physics.

So what bad advice is that? You recommend a degree in finance over a degree in economics do you? Don't talk like you have a clue when you clearly do not.

Associate
The fact that you don't see why someone with a degree in physics is desirable to financial firms shows that you know nothing about this. So there's no point in trying to discuss this with you.

I also have not mentioned econometrics, nobody has except for you. Nor did I say anything about Oxbridge degrees in physics.

So what bad advice is that? You recommend a degree in finance over a degree in economics do you? Don't talk like you have a clue when you clearly do not.

Where did I recommend finance over economics?

Lets all take degrees in PPE then we can be astronauts, am I right bro?

Soldato
You claimed that I was offering bad advice when saying that an economics degree is more desirable than one in finance. Most people would take it that you oppose this viewpoint.

Now you're just talking tripe anyway. Good night.

Associate
As a student who studied mechanical engineering, JPM, Barclays, Lehman and others all attended engineering careers fairs at my university. They said people with science and maths based degress can think out of the box and were suited for their organisation. (BTW I'm not arguing for or against your statements above! :) Merely telling you my experience)

This is the message I received at similar fares and talks and found it to be pretty true. When I was applying for jobs after uni (which was only a year ago now) I found myself suitable for nearly all finance/banking roles and did not struggle getting interviews. However I also found that what degree you have pails in significance if you have a half decent amount of experience in a somewhat relevant role. Placement years are a great way to get ahead, mine served me proud. So to say a certain degree is worth less than another is a bit silly really as most employers I encountered will just look at it and say "that's nice now let's look at your skills and experience"

Back
Top Bottom