The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Soldato
The G9 II will be on my purchase list but not at the current RRP. Hoping it goes on offer during Christmas / New Year.

Looking at the reviews it does seem to be a true hybrid camera, despite the focus being on the photo side.

Caporegime
The G9 II will be on my purchase list but not at the current RRP. Hoping it goes on offer during Christmas / New Year.

Looking at the reviews it does seem to be a true hybrid camera, despite the focus being on the photo side.
Yeah the price is pretty mental. I can't see they will sell many, mostly just a few G9 owners upgrading. I doubt many are buying into m43 fresh at this stage.

Soldato
For the launch price of the G9ii, I could buy an S5 with 50mm f1.8 and the 20-60mm f3.5-5.6 and two batteries. If I‘m going to have use larger bodied Panasonic cameras, I’m going S-Line for the bells and whistles.

Got back into photography through a compact Panasonic fixed lens camera and into MFT with a Panasonic GM1 when I wanted an ILC which used the same Menu/UI structure. Upgrade to a GM5 for the viewfinder later.

Got a G7 as a more ergonomic platform for my 100-300mm and upgraded to a G80/PL100-400mm when those came out.

If my G80 died tomorrow and a couple of grand didn’t magically appear in my wallet, I’d be shopping for a cheap G90 as replacement.

Associate
I'd been kicking myself for not buying an OM1 while the cashback offer was available (I thought it expired on the 31st of this month when it was the 21st), but I'll now have to decide whether to get the new one, or buy a mk1 when deals start to appear.

FNG

FNG

Associate
I am mostly concerned about on systems ability (or desire) to keep enhancing and updating firmware. I think Panasonic will enhance what they have with the g9 2 with regular updates, but I am not sure on systems have the resources to do so.

Soldato
Just curious, is the one that goes over 2000mm in crop mode? It was argued that the OM1 II gives 7 stops of Ibis when using it.
It's only 2x crop factor, so 150-600mm is really 300-1200mm, for 2000mm you'd need a 1000mm lens, I guess there's IBIS from body and lens but the size of lens you'd be using on tripod anyway so is IBIS really needed ?

Soldato
It's only 2x crop factor, so 150-600mm is really 300-1200mm, for 2000mm you'd need a 1000mm lens, I guess there's IBIS from body and lens but the size of lens you'd be using on tripod anyway so is IBIS really needed ?
Sorry I'd missread the post I referred too earlier- when it said "You can even go further by using the OM-systems MC-20 2x Teleconverter (£429) to reach an almost ridiculous 2400mm.

Man of Honour
As much as I want to love the 150-600 it does seem a bit too expensive, large and too dark for the price. The comparisons to the sigma doesn't help either when its best part of a grand cheaper - it does feel a little like OM trying to cash in :(

Theres a suggestion that the OM1 II has mostly been released to remove the Olympus name from the body, beyond anything else, but its a bit gutting they haven't released some of the features as a update to the mrk1

Last edited:

FNG

FNG

Associate
I think I am currently leaning towards G9 mk ii, the lecia 100-400mk2 and probably the 8-18. But I have a couple of months before I need to buy so will keep an eye on the OM1 MK2 and see if any deals for either come up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom