The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Man of Honour
I've got the 300mm as well and its a great lens but the lack of zoom can be a pain, tempted by the 1.4x but think i'd regret not jumping upto the 2x. The em5 is pretty grainy on high isos so try and avoid much over 1600 which does limit its usefulness in the evenings for wildlife.

The 150-400 looks incredible but quick a chunk of change!

Associate
I've got the 300mm as well and its a great lens but the lack of zoom can be a pain, tempted by the 1.4x but think i'd regret not jumping upto the 2x. The em5 is pretty grainy on high isos so try and avoid much over 1600 which does limit its usefulness in the evenings for wildlife.

The 150-400 looks incredible but quick a chunk of change!
I'm not convinced by the 2x convertor yet, f8 is too much of a compromise, the 1.4 is permanently attached though.

OM1 was definitely a good upgrade for me as am constantly fighting light, it's also so much quicker to focus than em1 mk2.

If you got the spare cash I'd say go for it.

Matt

Associate
Still enjoying my OM1, though I will say on a recent few hours photographing Kingfishers I flattened the battery and filled a memory card with the number of shots I took and the keeper rate was really high so I'm kinda in a position of thinking is it too good with the tracking capabilities?

Other than the above it just seems to work well.

Matt

Associate
Bought the 150-400 at the weekend, only had a quick chance to try it on Sunday during some rather inclement weather, dark skies, torrential down pours, you name it, it happened!

Anyway first impressions are it is a really good lense, even compared to my 300 f4, it feels a bit big though feels lighter than it looks - so far so good with it.

Soldato
I’m glad I don’t have the money for a new M43 body these days as I’d be tearing my hair out trying to figure what to replace my Panasonic G80/85 with.

G90/95 - not enough of an upgrade for the money

G9 - great camera, just too large. If I’d have been happy with a camera that size, I’d be running CaNikon DSLRs.

G100 - No IBIS for stills? WTAF Panasonic?

Caporegime
I’m glad I don’t have the money for a new M43 body these days as I’d be tearing my hair out trying to figure what to replace my Panasonic G80/85 with.

G90/95 - not enough of an upgrade for the money

G9 - great camera, just too large. If I’d have been happy with a camera that size, I’d be running CaNikon DSLRs.

G100 - No IBIS for stills? WTAF Panasonic?
I'm sitting tight to see if Panasonic will add PDAF like they have to the S5 mk II.

The G9 is large but I love it, so much that I take that over the S5 most days.

Thought about an Olmypus body? The OM-5 is a little more compact.

Last edited:
Soldato
I too am refraining from the S5 or the S5 II as I have a G9 and am waiting to see if Panasonic release a G9 replacement with Phase detect AF.

The G9 is stil a cracking camera for the money, especially if continuous AF is not a primary concern. I picked up a body 2 years ago and have no regrets. For the money it is hard to beat, even today.

Soldato
I'm sitting tight to see if Panasonic will add PDAF like they have to the S5 mk II.

The G9 is large but I love it, so much that I take that over the S5 most days.

Thought about an Olmypus body? The OM-5 is a little more compact.

I have a GM5 with the 20mm F/1.7 pancake lens if I want compact. I find the G80 fits my hand nicely and handles well even with the PL 100-400mm attached.

Isn‘t the S5 actually smaller than the G9, but the best part of 200gms heavier?

The S5 isn’t an option for me as it’s way beyond my budget and the S series FF lenses are mahoosive.

Caporegime
I have a GM5 with the 20mm F/1.7 pancake lens if I want compact. I find the G80 fits my hand nicely and handles well even with the PL 100-400mm attached.

Isn‘t the S5 actually smaller than the G9, but the best part of 200gms heavier?

The S5 isn’t an option for me as it’s way beyond my budget and the S series FF lenses are mahoosive.
There's some cracking deals on for the S5 currently.

Not trying to tempt you but that's really decent value for a FF mirrorless body and 3 decent lenses.

The F1.8 primes whilst not pancake level small are similar to fast m43 primes.

The S5 is smaller than the G9 but I don't like how it handleasas much as the G9.

Soldato
If you guys were to buy a small budget camera now for occasional shooting what would you go for? Say under £200 with a Lena’s so really budget 2nd hand.

Man of Honour
Kind of a silly question & might just have to go handle some to get a real idea but i'm trying to work out my next M.Zuiko lense and wanted to get some opinions...

At the moment i'm running the OM-1, 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, 300mm f/4 IS PRO and MC-20 2.0x - mostly doing bad wildlife and landscape photography.

I'm thinking of filling the gap between the two lenses so the obvious choices are the 40-150mm PROs in f/4 or f/2.8 guise.

• f/2.8 is quite a lot bigger but works with the MC-20 and is gives an extra stop. Its also seriously well reviewed by almost everyone.
  • f/4 is a lot lighter and darker (heh) - still supposed to be a really nice lens though.

then theres always the 12-100mm f/4 which doesn't have the same reach at the top, but does include IS which is always a plus :) (and no i can't justify the big white whale unfortunately)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's that gap between 100mm and 300mm where µ43 is weak. There are two lenses that the rumour-mill says will be released later this year: 50-200mm f2.8 Pro and 50-250mm f4. It's thought the 50-200mm will take the TCs but it's the 50-250mm that I'm interested in.

I have the 12-100mm as my standard lens, effectively making my OM-5 a bridge camera. I took 660 shots on our cruise earlier this year and 90 of them were at 100mm so I need something longer but better than the 12-200mm and probably longer than 150mm.

Do you need the 12-40mm f2.8 for landscape? The 12-45mm f4 is smaller, lighter and cheaper but just as good optically.

You need to get yourself to WEX and get hands on.

Man of Honour
Yer that 50-200 2.8 sounds amazing but will be a beast I'm sure :D

The 12-40 is a great little lens so would hate to get rid but doesn't make a load of sense with the 12-100. It's certainly a very tempting day to day lens and as you say shines optically. The f/4 isn't really a problem for landscapes in most cases but I do like having the extra stop for lower lights.

Will have to make a detour when I'm in London Thursday and get my grubby mitts on some glass!

Soldato
Yer that 50-200 2.8 sounds amazing but will be a beast I'm sure :D

The 12-40 is a great little lens so would hate to get rid but doesn't make a load of sense with the 12-100. It's certainly a very tempting day to day lens and as you say shines optically. The f/4 isn't really a problem for landscapes in most cases but I do like having the extra stop for lower lights.

Will have to make a detour when I'm in London Thursday and get my grubby mitts on some glass!
The Strand branch of London Camera Exchange always used to have all the latest shiny things and would even let you mount a lens you were interested in on your camera body and get a feel for balance/ergonomics.

Caporegime
Looks like we're getting a G9 Mk II tomorrow with rumoured spec:

• New 25.2 million pixel image sensor
  • new engine
  • Image plane phase detection AF
  • 60fps AFC continuous shooting
  • 8.0 stops of image stabilization
  • 7.5 steps Dual IS
  • C4K/4K 60p 4:2:2 10bit
  • V-Log
  • 1.84 million dot tilt free angle monitor
  • 3.68 million dot OLED viewfinder
  • Dustproof and splashproof
  • Capable of continuous shooting for 3 seconds without blackout
  • Pre-continuous shooting function
  • ~AFS 75fps
  • LEICA Monochrome with L2 technology
  • real-time LUT
  • C4K/4K 10bit 120p/100p
  • 8 direction joystick
  • Wifi
  • Bluetooth
Body looks similar to the S5 Mk II with no top screen and smaller size compared to the original G9.

Caporegime
I was waiting for a update to the G9, nearly jumped systems to FF and the S5 a couple of years ago glad I didn't. Seems like some good updates on this Mark II.
Yeah it's tempting me but will wait for a discount. I've got lots of m43 lenses I don't think I'll ever part with so this would be a good upgrade. I picked up an S5 which I'm using more and more though. Hard to know which way to go tbh. I'll miss the G9s top screen but having the S5 and G9 mk 2 with very similar layout would be good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like we're getting a G9 Mk II tomorrow with rumoured spec:

• New 25.2 million pixel image sensor
  • new engine
  • Image plane phase detection AF
  • 60fps AFC continuous shooting
  • 8.0 stops of image stabilization
  • 7.5 steps Dual IS
  • C4K/4K 60p 4:2:2 10bit
  • V-Log
  • 1.84 million dot tilt free angle monitor
  • 3.68 million dot OLED viewfinder
  • Dustproof and splashproof
  • Capable of continuous shooting for 3 seconds without blackout
  • Pre-continuous shooting function
  • ~AFS 75fps
  • LEICA Monochrome with L2 technology
  • real-time LUT
  • C4K/4K 10bit 120p/100p
  • 8 direction joystick
  • Wifi
  • Bluetooth
Body looks similar to the S5 Mk II with no top screen and smaller size compared to the original G9.
So it’s more of a G90 with all the good stuff?

Looks like I might have a replacement for my G80 in a year or so when the price has hopefully dropped from launch RRP.

Back
Top Bottom