The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Caporegime
Yeah I've seen the offers. Also on Black Friday I bought myself a christmas present (which the wife insists is from her but the money came from my bank account, but whatever :p) which stopped any lens purchasing :p

For me I am struggling to figure out what lens I want. Once I do, I can figure out a purchase from there. I want more primes because I am a prime whore. But I don't NEED anymore.

Or am I being unrealistic now?

Caporegime
You can never have enough primes IMO :D

I am currently running

Laowa 7.5mm F2 Rectangular
Olympus 12mm F2
Olympus 12-40 F2.8 Pro
Panasonic 25mm f1.4
Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro
Olympus 40-150 F2.8 Pro + TC
Pansonic 42.5mm f1.2
Olympus 75mm F1.8

And I still want more ;)

I fancy swapping the Pana 25mm for the Olympus 25mm F1.2 at some point. Not because its any better sharpness wise but purely because the "rattling" is starting to annoy me intensely.

I would have got the Olympus 45mm f1.2 but in reviews its no better or worse than the Panasonic 42.5mm I have so no point paying the price difference.

A nice 17mm would fill out my lineup and I do quite fancy the 12-100 F4 IS as an all in one travel lens at some point.

Favorite two lens I used the most at the moment is the Pana 42.5mm and the Laowa. I seem to be either doing landscapes and astro or portraits mainly recently. I could probably sell all the rest and wouldnt notice.

I didnt "need" the 75mm but I sold mine to fund the body a year ago and was missing it so when it was on offer new for £418 on BF I couldn't resist. That was less than I had sold mine for second hand a year earlier.

Caporegime
Nice collection!

I do love my 17mm. It was my favourite focal length on a full frame sensor.

The 45mm has peaked my interest a has the 75mm. The 75mm especially as its a focal length that again I loved before, but I just don't think it will get much use!

I think the 12mm or 25mm would be more sensible purchases for me right now :)

Soldato
and I do quite fancy the 12-100 F4 IS as an all in one travel lens at some point.
F4 isn't anything special, but then again most such zooms drop to F5.6 after wide end.
And weather sealing is nice for not having to start worrying from the first moment of some lighter rain.
Though for smallest bodies it would be rather hefty.

Really surprised you didn't have 60mm Macro in there.

Caporegime
Was always tempted and was going to get it but the 60mm was still £250 on BF and the 30mm was dropped from £250 to £82.50 so couldn't resist it. I couldn't see that the 60mm was worth the extra £170 or so. £170 would get me another prime

Associate
Can anyone recommend me a lens for an Olympus omd em10 mark 2, basically off on holiday to California in a few months and want a nice lens to take pictures of the landscape and the views. i have the basic lens that came with the camera and that it currently.

Caporegime
Totally depends on your budget.

As always I would recommend tracking down used lenses. They rarely ever go wrong. Ebay or MPB or any of the used sections on Wex/Park cameras etc.

The Olympus 12-40 f2.8 pro would be at the top of my list. Tack sharp and handy f2.8. The Pansonic Lumix 12-25 f2.8 is good as well.

For wider landscape shots the 9-18mm is a gem and lightweight to boot.

The Panasonic 14-42 f3.5 - 5.6 is a fantastic quality budget zoom

And the Panasonic 12-32 f3.5-5.6 is a fantastic pancake zoom.

Associate
Totally depends on your budget.

As always I would recommend tracking down used lenses. They rarely ever go wrong. Ebay or MPB or any of the used sections on Wex/Park cameras etc.

The Olympus 12-40 f2.8 pro would be at the top of my list. Tack sharp and handy f2.8. The Pansonic Lumix 12-25 f2.8 is good as well.

For wider landscape shots the 9-18mm is a gem and lightweight to boot.

The Panasonic 14-42 f3.5 - 5.6 is a fantastic quality budget zoom

And the Panasonic 12-32 f3.5-5.6 is a fantastic pancake zoom.

thank i will take a look at those :)

Man of Honour
Safe to say we love Oly in our house, mine left, missus right... daughters EPL-6 not in shot :)

omd.jpg

Man of Honour
haha yeah it's a beast. Wife has just gone semi pro and by pricing low is getting lots of new born baby / family shoots.... gets the word out there though. Already have a few weddings booked. I don't use my EM5 that much but we need to keep it as a backup camera now for bigger jobs.

There is a part of me that wishes we had gone full frame as light can be tough in peoples houses and I don't feel we are using the EM1 IIs strong points eg fast burst / focus capabilities really, but a top Sony mirrorless is out of reach budget wise. Out and about with outside shoots I doubt we would notice the difference though.

The 12-40mm lives on the camera, though we still use the 45mm F1.8 if light is challenging.

Caporegime
Thanks, she has a good eye for a photo unlike me who's just snap and hope :)

Sounds like me and my missus. I have the gear and occasionally get an award winning shot. She has the cheapest gear but a fantastic eye and always gets amazing shots but isn’t really into photography. If I had her skills I could make a living from photography.

Soldato
The 12-40mm lives on the camera, though we still use the 45mm F1.8 if light is challenging.
Panasonic 25mm F1.4 would be another nice lens for lower light if needing wider.
Unlike's M.Zuiko 25mm F1.2 it doesn't take much space or weight much.

Thanks, she has a good eye for a photo unlike me who's just snap and hope :)
Isn't that called as "Point&Pray" photography?

Soldato
You should have grabbed a bargain during black friday. I bought the Olympus f3.5 30mm macro for £82.50. Worth a punt at that price since its £249 everywhere normally. :)

The 25mm f1.2 and 12-100 f4IS are both on offer at the moment.

That macro deal makes me so upset. I don't do much macro stuff but I've always wanted a macro lens as it just offers a completely different dimension that other lenses can't give (macro + a drone for video)

Caporegime
Yeah same here. Never done macro work before and the price normally was too much to just try for a dabble but £82.50 was worth a go. I didn’t get it until a month ago as it was out of stock but that’s fine.

Always worth keeping a an eye on bpphoto in the us. They ship to the U.K. and the us get much better Olympus deals than us. At the same time everybody in the states got $200 off all Olympus lense we got treated to £30 off in the eu :(

Soldato
Yeah same here. Never done macro work before and the price normally was too much to just try for a dabble but £82.50 was worth a go. I didn’t get it until a month ago as it was out of stock but that’s fine.

Always worth keeping a an eye on bpphoto in the us. They ship to the U.K. and the us get much better Olympus deals than us. At the same time everybody in the states got $200 off all Olympus lense we got treated to £30 off in the eu :(

Please let me know if anything pops up!

Back
Top Bottom